Author Topic: OTD Price  (Read 14527 times)

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #30 on: March 26, 2014, 04:01:08 pm
My '12 was 7k OTD and I'm not complaining. Richard and I went over the costs involved and because it was a Mom & Pop outfit with a two additional employees I had no problem agreeing to nominal shipping and setup fees. Walking in with CASH, and taking care of the taxes and registration myself helped a bit, too. We both were happy, and that's what counts.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 26, 2014, 11:38:29 pm
This is so true roverman. I've been one to protest with my feet which has lead to my being self employed as employers realise I don't work for them but they work for me.
However in the case of Sydney/Australia there is only one dealer. Actually there is a new dealer but they know absolutely nothing about the bikes. I tried going there for parts as they sifted through manuals and studied up on RE PARTS while I waited to spend 50 bucks on a standard air filter.
You're pretty much on your own here and the 1 major dealer/mechanic have got it made. They can and do charge whatever they want.
I love the RE , so no regrets, but if I were to do it all again I would be reading that fine print  before anything else.
"You can fool some people sometimes, but you can't fool all the people all the time, so now you've seen the light. Stand up for your rights" Bob Marley

quote author=ROVERMAN link=topic=18890.msg206269#msg206269 date=1395779993]
Seems to me, from the tack that this thread is taking, that the huge multi dealer types living in mansions are getting rich because of the buyers ignorance. I agree that the small dealer,like the one i bought from is the better way to go,but there must be a large proportion of buyers out there who patronize the rip-off artists. So it seems we only have ourselves to blame? I mean, why go there?
Roverman.
[/quote]

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 12:04:23 am
Marty at Gomotomn is a great guy to work with. Quoted $5995 plus $400 for tax, title etc., and that was it......$6400 OTD for the 2014 GT.

We need more dealers like him.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 04:35:15 pm
From talking to the RE owners I've met (only about six), most bought the bike the dealer had in stock, not the bike they wanted. So, it is an issue of inventory. Fewer RE buyers, so don't take chances on ordering anything. Sell what you have, the bike on the floor may sit there another six months if this guy does not buy it. Wonder if that is true for the GT?

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 04:37:51 pm
I paid $7000 OTD, including tax, on a new 2010 bought in late 2012. It was one of two on the floor and I took it. At the time, it felt like a fair deal (though not a steal) and still does, despite the issues I've had.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 06:27:59 pm
Marty at Gomotomn is a great guy to work with. Quoted $5995 plus $400 for tax, title etc., and that was it......$6400 OTD for the 2014 GT.

We need more dealers like him.

GSS

That is definitely the way it should be done.

I definitely wanted a B5, and would not have bought anything else. But I would have took it in green or black. I was just lucky enough to get it in green. Sure would be gorgeous with gold anodized wheels.

I keep wondering about why RE dropped the MSRP so much. Only reason I can think of was to make the bikes sell better. I understand they have recently completely renovated their factory with more modern equipment. Maybe that lowered the production cost.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 06:43:11 pm
Sounds like a dealership problem, not a price problem. Looks like they're trying to sell something they can't provide with a dealer than can back up a customer. The importer is the problem. He/she needs to crack down on the dealers that don't represent the product in a better light

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 06:47:12 pm
Regarding the price drops: I think the bike competes not with the more expensive Bonneville (which is visually similar, but has a larger engine and presumably better build quality), but with less expensive bikes like the Honda CB500X and CB500F (or the Yamaha V-Star 250, etc.). Compared to those bikes, it's an "experience upgrade" for buyers who are less concerned with precision and build quality and more concerned with the ride and the culture. Dropping the price makes an RE a realistic choice for entry-level buyers and should significantly goose sales.

At $7000-8000 OTD, as the RE was a year ago, I wouldn't have considered buying one if I weren't an old rich guy (relatively speaking). At $6500 OTD, it competes in a broader class.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:17 pm
Sorry to wade back in,been off the grid. I paid MSRP for my B5 and got a decent trade for my other 2 bikes. I didn't see the price drop coming, wish i had but hey, tough titty on my part. I like my dealer and look foreward to a long relationship with him. Hey Sectorsteve, i sympathize with you guy's down under. Do you have any idea how big the market is compared to the USA?
Roverman.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 10:44:30 pm
i dont know how big the market is here in oz. it would have to be smaller than the U.S.
anyway. i paid alot of the RE because i just wanted it over any other bike. The reward has been worth it. learning alot from this forum and loving the ride.

Astovio

• Scooter
Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 03:36:55 am
Well I'll tell you what. Yal just made me feel better about what I paid. I just ordered my 2014 B5 today from the dealer and paid just under 6k with a helmet thrown in. I thought I overpaid, especially with that BS $400 set up fee, but I guess I didnt do too bad. I'm also getting exactly what I wanted instead of settling for what they had in stock, and after calling around the other day, apparently there aren't many green b5's in the country, so I'm glad they found one for me. Considering how hard they are to find, I'm not kicking myself paying $1000 over MSRP. Overall, I'm pretty happy. Its my first bike and I can't wait to cherish this thing for many years to come!

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 29, 2014, 04:22:26 pm
Astovio, you and me are in the rare club.
Roverman & the GREen B.

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 09:01:39 pm
I bought a new 2010  G5 Deluxe in 2012 for $4200 on eBay from a dealer in Conneticut. Biggest hassle was getting it to Georgia.  :o

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #43 on: March 29, 2014, 11:17:38 pm
Astovio, you and me are in the rare club.
Roverman & the GREen B.

Don't forget, Roverman, that green B5 is rightfully mine!  I'm coming for it... I don't know when, but it'll be when you least expect it... bwaa ha haaaaa!

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: March 29, 2014, 11:46:57 pm
I'll say it again! Enfields problem is dealers.....quality and quanity....just saw a news release for the new Yamaha thumper 400. Looks like a grown up Enfield for $6000.00. If I had a dealer nearby I would of had a Yamaha.
Still love the C5 but it's still an "old" bike