Author Topic: Iron Head Reliability at Cruising Speeds  (Read 6698 times)

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 23, 2014, 08:05:23 am
Get a used UCE. With the price of the new bikes dropping you can find a used UCE at a good price.

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 24, 2014, 03:22:08 pm
     The  AVL is a little better/more robust than the original Iron Barrel, but it is nowhere near the reliability level of the UCE. If you are going on the freeway get the UCE.
     I find that the bikes with the most "character" are those that run reliably. Too often people make excuses for "character" when what is needed is a bike suited for the use it is being put to. Many people go to great lengths to modify something to their use. In my experience it usually costs less to have two bikes. one for "character" and one for actual use, than to continuously modify and repair an unsuitable bike.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 08:21:27 pm
The UCE is a far more robust engine capable of at least a 10 mph advantage at cruising speeds over the iron barrel. It will run much longer at higher speeds and should probably make 50,000 miles and more without any major catastrophes.
The maintenance requirements for the iron barrels will remind you of what the good old days were REALLY like! They are far more labor intensive than the UCEs
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #18 on: March 25, 2014, 10:30:17 pm
I have to apply an adage used on this forum years ago, "If you have to ask, it's probably not for you". The situation works when the bike picks you.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

Merrill

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 03:55:58 am
years back while assisting with a field repair a crusty mechanic asked me to hand him a large wrench.  When I asked him to specify a size he said it didn't matter as he was going to use it as a hammer.   Probably not the first time this was ever uttered, but new to my youthful ears.   The difference of ten mph means nothing.
buy a capable bike,  then to satisfy your curiosity buy the antique your grandpa rode. You will have true satisfaction using each within their realm of capabilities.  There is no way my bullet will ever compare in performance and handing to my KLX Kawasaki,  Grandpa would have loved to experience the Kaw.  Just as I have enjoyed the experience of riding his bike.   This is a simple concept,  the motorcycle evolved over time into our modern day bikes.  It has been done,  is now complete and with excellent results.  pumping money into an antiquated machine to gain performance will not satisfy the "daily rider".  Read Vince,  then , Read Vince again.
It is a wonderful feeling to wake up with options.  Some days I'm the grouchy old fart content to hammer away with a twelve inch Crescent,  others I gracefully wield a set of polished spanners.   
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 04:46:38 am by Merrill »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 11:01:25 am
years back while assisting with a field repair a crusty mechanic asked me to hand him a large wrench.  When I asked him to specify a size he said it didn't matter as he was going to use it as a hammer.   Probably not the first time this was ever uttered, but new to my youthful ears.   The difference of ten mph means nothing.
buy a capable bike,  then to satisfy your curiosity buy the antique your grandpa rode. You will have true satisfaction using each within their realm of capabilities.  There is no way my bullet will ever compare in performance and handing to my KLX Kawasaki,  Grandpa would have loved to experience the Kaw.  Just as I have enjoyed the experience of riding his bike.   This is a simple concept,  the motorcycle evolved over time into our modern day bikes.  It has been done,  is now complete and with excellent results.  pumping money into an antiquated machine to gain performance will not satisfy the "daily rider".  Read Vince,  then , Read Vince again.
It is a wonderful feeling to wake up with options.  Some days I'm the grouchy old fart content to hammer away with a twelve inch Crescent,  others I gracefully wield a set of polished spanners.

Sorry, but I strongly disagree with your statement.  Your statement would be correct to a person who is completely new to motorcycles and doesn't know Jack or Shit about them.

This is a simple concept,  the motorcycle evolved over time into our modern day bikes.  It has been done,  is now complete and with excellent results.  pumping money into an antiquated machine to gain performance will not satisfy the "daily rider".

I call bullshit.  Observe Exhibit "Operation Crotch Rocket Killer":
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17652.0.html

Why am I building this?  Because I've ridden just about every make of bike out there, and NOTHING is as fun as my '58 Trailblazer.  So I bought another one, with only one goal and purpose:  To build the biggest, baddest, meanest, fastest, most insanely powerful Enfield twin that has ever been built.  With a HUGE help from Tom at Ace Performance, we are REpioneering what everyone has said for almost half a century was impossible.  But it's NOT impossible.  It did take me 18 months to figure out what all has to be addressed, custom fabricated and modified to make it happen, but our initial blueprints indicate over 3 times more horsepower over stock, and over 30hp more than anyone has previously acheived.  AND it will most CERTAINLY satisfy THIS "daily rider".  And for the record, my Trailblazer isn't stock either.  ;D

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 11:17:13 am
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17652.0.html You reference YOURSELF ? Do they make a helmet in your size? ;D
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 11:27:48 am
http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,17652.0.html You reference YOURSELF ? Do they make a helmet in your size? ;D

They make helmets that fit my head, but not my opinion.  ;D

My point was that everyone lives life a little differently.  The statement made conflicted with the way I live MY life on motorcycles.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 03:23:14 pm
Things have not remained static with the Bullet over the last decade.
At one time, not all that long ago, it was considered folly to attempt modifications for performance on the Bullet because they were failing almost all the time when it was attempted by owners. Very easily found in the older archives on this site.
But times have changed dramatically, and things are very different today.

So, we have differing opinions on what's best to do, based on different points of view and different experiences with the bike.

Everybody here knows what I think about modding the Bullet, and I have a boatload of evidence riding around on 5 continents today to reinforce my point.
If others have differing opinions, they have a right to think as they please.
To each, his own.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ballroom dancer

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 02:50:56 am
GPS! I had a real epiphany today when I rode my Bullet with a GPS.  I thought my bike was comfortable and felt good at 55 to 60 but the truth is that 60 indicated is 50 MPH true!  So my bike runs just like Vince says it should it just tries to tell beautiful lies while doing it.

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 06:07:45 am
I wonder sometimes if I just disconnected the speedometer and just rode the bike at whatever speed, that the chosen speed would come naturally, I would really just be thumping along enjoying the ride, and not give a flip what the indicated speed was or actual. Just ride with a "who gives a crap" attitude and ride it by what feels good, what ever that is. All that speedo is is a distraction sometimes, a hindrance, or restriction. Disconnect it and have freedom!. A strange thought :P
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 06:09:51 am by cafeman »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 11:10:47 am
I wonder sometimes if I just disconnected the speedometer and just rode the bike at whatever speed, that the chosen speed would come naturally, I would really just be thumping along enjoying the ride, and not give a flip what the indicated speed was or actual. Just ride with a "who gives a crap" attitude and ride it by what feels good, what ever that is. All that speedo is is a distraction sometimes, a hindrance, or restriction. Disconnect it and have freedom!. A strange thought :P

Wait a minute.....  You're telling me I'm supposed to pay attention to the speedometer?  ;D

cafeman

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 01:38:32 pm
Wait a minute.....  You're telling me I'm supposed to pay attention to the speedometer?  ;D

Well I know at least on my Bullet ignoring the speedometer won't cost me a ticket (yet), whereas on some of the sportbikes and cars I've had it has cost me dearly!  :D

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 01:56:48 pm
The stock bike is very comfortable at 3500 rpm, which is about 56mph in top gear with stock gearing. Just above torque peak.

Most Enfields have very optimistic speedometers, typically reading up to 10mph faster than you are actually going. It is better to have a tachometer and get used to doing the mph conversion.
Home of the Fireball 535 !