Author Topic: AVL Reliability at Cruising Speeds  (Read 6906 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 12, 2014, 07:51:52 pm
Adrian, did you write a post describing your mods on the AVL? If so could you link to it?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Adrian

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: May 23, 2014, 11:54:41 pm
I always start my AVL beginning at tdc..I've never used the release. It's always been a one kick starter. If it didn't have a compression release, I wouldn't think it needed one.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #18 on: May 24, 2014, 12:27:59 am
Same... I don't use the decomp lever to get to TDC.  Once you get the feel for it, it becomes very, very easy to find.  I do use my decomp lever when I'm killing the engine.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #19 on: May 24, 2014, 01:21:11 pm
Same... I don't use the decomp lever to get to TDC.  Once you get the feel for it, it becomes very, very easy to find.  I do use my decomp lever when I'm killing the engine.

+1

The "decompressor" on the AVL is totally useless as an assist to finding TDC with the kicker.

The only thing it's good for, as you say, is killing the engine to save the sprag. If you use the decompressor instead of the key to kill the engine there's no danger of the engine turning backwards. THEN turn the key off. 
« Last Edit: May 24, 2014, 01:23:22 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Techmaven

• Scooter
Reply #20 on: June 03, 2014, 11:55:05 pm
           +1

The "decompressor" on the AVL is totally useless as an assist to finding TDC with the kicker.

The only thing it's good for, as you say, is killing the engine to save the sprag. If you use the decompressor instead of the key to kill the engine there's no danger of the engine turning backwards. THEN turn the key off.

So I guess I'm not losing my mind when seems my AVL de-compressor makes no difference when I try using it?

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 04, 2014, 04:23:08 am

So I guess I'm not losing my mind when seems my AVL de-compressor makes no difference when I try using it?

Yes, you're not losing your mind.

When you pull the lever on an AVL you're not "opening" anything. You are just rotating a cam which holds the exhaust valve open (if it's opened by the push rod) by jamming against the push rod & not allowing it to go back down. The exhaust valve is closed at TDC compression so you can pull on that lever all you want & you're not going to release any compression to help you feel TDC.

It's good for killing the engine because the engine won't turn backwards as it does once in a while when you kill the engine with the key. That's all it's good for.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Adrian

Reply #22 on: June 04, 2014, 05:32:36 pm
When these machines were more (?) popular, some riders found the valve lifter worked better with an old-fashioned chrome decompressor lever fitted to the bars rather than the sorry plastic thing on the left hand switch cluster. Cost you just a few $ to try it out.

A.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 04, 2014, 09:34:51 pm
When these machines were more (?) popular, some riders found the valve lifter worked better with an old-fashioned chrome decompressor lever fitted to the bars rather than the sorry plastic thing on the left hand switch cluster. Cost you just a few $ to try it out.

A.

On an AVL that lever still won't release any compression if you're using it to just barely get past TDC to kickstart whether it's black plastic, chrome or solid gold. And no matter how hard you pull on it.

Adrian

Reply #24 on: June 05, 2014, 01:21:14 am
I have to admit I lost patience with the valve lifter on my Electra-X once the tappet cover cracked around the lifter shaft and leaked oil quite badly, so I never tried the old style lever. Just fitted a plain tappet cover and winced everytime some unpleasant mechanical noise came up from the starter area.  The decompressor option has worked just fine on the AVL project, I may even treat my Electra-X to one before the sprag  finally gives up.

A