Author Topic: Center Stand Question  (Read 1209 times)

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
on: June 02, 2014, 09:30:51 pm
Can someone with an Electra with 19" wheels please take some measurements of your center stand for me?  I need to order one for my '58 twin and I need to know if the 2 stands will interchange.  A used steel stand for the Electra is about 1/5 of the price of the cast one for the vintage twins.  Thanks!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Adrian

Reply #1 on: June 02, 2014, 11:52:20 pm
OK, so you got me out of my computer chair, out to the chilly garage...

As accurately as I can measure we'll call it slightly over 10" (still talking center stands here, guys!) between the pivot pin center and the bottom of the foot.  The Indian made center stand on my Redditch frame project works much better than the cast original I had on a '58 Bullet, so it is worth doing, BUT it will only work if your twin has a Siamese exhaust pipe - see Hitchcock's part # 92837, which includes a new set of rear engine plates, pivot pin and springs, not a bad idea if the original pivot pin hole is badly worn. Bronze bushes and grease nipples were sadly missing from the design, something our Indian friends could have improved on, instead of perpetuating a Redditch weakness.

Hope this helps.

A

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: June 03, 2014, 12:10:42 am
I think the Electra stand should work fine then.  After I looked at things closer I saw that the stand is labeled as "will work with older Reddich Bullets", and the stands are the same for the vintage Bullets and Twins.  I'll just need to trim off the foot lever and it should fit up there with no issues.  Thanks for that info.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Adrian

Reply #3 on: June 03, 2014, 01:47:35 am
That foot lever is what really helps! You may be able to modify it to clear the left hand pipe.

A.