Author Topic: Maintenance performed on the Harris Scrambler to date  (Read 3386 times)

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Head gasket was replaced two days from purchase.  It leaked from day one.

TCI box gave up the ghost at about 4,000 miles. 

Clutch cable broke and was replaced at about 7,000 and 18,000 miles.  At the 18,000 mile brake I performed the Ice clutch release arm modification and the cable hasn't broken since.

Broke the exhaust cam follower at about 20,000 miles.

De-carbonize piston and head at about 20,000 miles

Replaced primary sprocket, rear brake drum with sprocket and brake shoes at about 25,000 miles.

Replaced wheel bearings, front and back at about 25,000 miles

Replaced steering head bearings and races at about 25,000 miles 

Broke Sprag clutch and replaced it at about 30,000 miles.

Replaced primary duplex chain at about 30,000 miles.

Replaced speedometer cable at about 30,000 miles.

I have just over 35,000 miles on the bike at this time.  Other than the maintenance mentioned above, only periodic maintenance has needed to be performed.  I just though this might reflect the reliability I have experienced with the Harris Scrambler.  I'm very happy with the machine.  I think I'll keep it.

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill

« Last Edit: May 10, 2014, 10:57:51 pm by Bill Harris »

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Thanks for that Bill.  I also broke both the cluth cable and the exhaust cam tappet around 6k.

Can I ask, what do you run in the primary?  ATF or Oil?  Just thinking when you eliminated the decomp (valve lifter) for the S cams did the sprag go before or after?  Did the Sprag go when you shut down the engine?

I've just put in the S Cams, and have 0 hours / miles as of yet, as Im just curious what I need to think about regarding the sprag (I know it WILL go at some point)
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Thanks for that Bill.  I also broke both the cluth cable and the exhaust cam tappet around 6k.

Can I ask, what do you run in the primary?  ATF or Oil?  Just thinking when you eliminated the decomp (valve lifter) for the S cams did the sprag go before or after?  Did the Sprag go when you shut down the engine?

I've just put in the S Cams, and have 0 hours / miles as of yet, as Im just curious what I need to think about regarding the sprag (I know it WILL go at some point)

DanB,

I run a full Quart of F type ATF in the primary.  The sprag clutch broke before I installed the 'S' cams but after I eliminated the decompression stuff.  I was just kick starting the engine, it kicked back and the sprag went.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:47:50 pm
How Do you know if the sprag clutch broke?

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
DanB,

I run a full Quart of F type ATF in the primary.  The sprag clutch broke before I installed the 'S' cams but after I eliminated the decompression stuff.  I was just kick starting the engine, it kicked back and the sprag went.  Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bill

Thanks Bill. Yes that helps.

Armando, symptoms of a dead sprag could be no electric start (it just whizzes), lockup engine or kick starter, nasty noise out of the front end. At least this is my understanding based on what ie read in the forum.
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Adrian

Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:21:08 am
35,000 Miles??? Bill, that's cause for celebration, surely?

I have not yet had the sprag clutch go on mine, though it has made some 'orrible noises on the odd occasion when when the motor has backfired (wince). Also know about the failed cam follower thing and several clutch cables. However, mine is still a few hundred short of 16,000 miles, guess it's still running in compared to yours. Definitely a keeper, it just WORKS, and even if it does go bang one fine day, I will definitely want to fix it.

Cheers,

A.

armando_chavez

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:18:34 pm
Damn Im at 7000 miles and 90 percent sure my sprag clutch is gone :( the starter just sounds like its spinning freely.  Now i Cant even kick it on.  Failed Sprag = no riding?????????

Vince

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 04:24:58 pm
     The kick start mechanism is completely separate from the Sprag. Unless a badly broken Sprag has damaged the clutch or locked up the engine it will kick start fine. I assume you pull in the clutch lever when you use the electric starter. It kick starts through the clutch, so if you pull in the clutch lever when you kick, the kick starter will be disconnected from the engine. 

mattjohnson207

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 07:32:25 pm
If the sprague is broke, but you don't know for sure,  should you remove it, or is ot ok to just merrily ride along?
       Mine has violently kicked back several times.  Am currently stalled in my rebuild, waiting for the cash to have Ace upgrade my head, porting, larger valves.
       In the meantime riding a 91bmw k75, which I could be talked into a trade for an iron barrel...but not today
                Matt in Glendale

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:49 pm
It's best to remove it. It can lock things up, if pieces start dropping out.
Many people have run them with the sprags broken for a long time, so I can't say that it's an emergency, but it's just that one never knows when things might come apart and fall in a bad spot.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Bill Harris

• Trail Rider
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:02:47 pm
It's best to remove it. It can lock things up, if pieces start dropping out.
Many people have run them with the sprags broken for a long time, so I can't say that it's an emergency, but it's just that one never knows when things might come apart and fall in a bad spot.

+1 on what ace.cafe said.

Royal Enfield people are good people

Cheers,
Bill