Author Topic: Newest Cell Phone Danger - Lookout!  (Read 5240 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #15 on: March 21, 2014, 01:58:44 am
There are many cars that already do it and a big push to market them.  I also suspect that some large car companies are against it, because when you sell me a car that drives itself and it crashes I'm going to sue the manufacturer.  Imagine a manufacturer had to absorb the cost of every accident that ever happened, damage and injuries.  So I'm not so sure we'll all be getting chauferred around by our cars tomorrow ;)
HELL, I'm still waiting for my one piece stretch metallic V-Neck Suit, & thimble full of Uranium to power our Homes & Cars. THEY PROMISED US WE'D HAVE THESE BY NOW.
Closest we came was Side Lace Earth Shoes, & Saab Spaceship Station Wagons. I don't care for most of the Electronic Monkeys On Our backs.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #16 on: March 21, 2014, 02:08:30 am
The bizar thing however is we're advised to dress as xmastrees as if that'll ever work against cellular challenged ones.  ;D
I remember seeing a rider in the Atlanta Metro area, wearing a big Dirty Harry Shoulder Holster rig on the outside of his jacket, & thinking to myself "they WILL NOTICE this rider".
  As for the Easter Egg Outfits, Can't do it - Rather be dead.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: March 21, 2014, 03:26:28 pm
Earth shoes and turbo Saabs were pretty cool :P

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #18 on: March 21, 2014, 05:19:47 pm
It's pretty hard to use a cell phone with a helmet on, plus all that wind noise. Texting is difficult durning gear changes.
I'm glad to see RE riders as being more mature.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 05:22:36 pm
There are bluetooth helmets now.  I could see it if you like some tunes on long rides but who the hell wants to talk on the phone while riding? 

Scott

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 07:26:40 pm
There are bluetooth helmets now.  I could see it if you like some tunes on long rides but who the hell wants to talk on the phone while riding? 

Scott

+1

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #21 on: March 21, 2014, 08:08:20 pm
The last car was made somewhere in the 80s
They still make supercars though: no radio, no satnav, just shift'n vroem.  ;D

Y'er correct. The last car was a round '79. From then on they started becoming more & more just a 4-wheeled, digital, electronic device like all the others. And I don't even HAVE a cellphone. I don't want anything smarter than me in my pocket. I'm a dinosaur.

I just donated my 1995 Ford Taurus to a military organization who will sell or auction it off & give the money to Wounded Warrior Project. I maintained it well & it served me well for almost 20 years, now it can help somebody who needs it more.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #22 on: March 21, 2014, 08:19:50 pm
I don't want anything smarter than me in my pocket.

Me either, but some mornings I feel like that clump of lint is really giving me a run for my money.

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 21, 2014, 08:36:53 pm
Duc: "I don't want anything smarter than me in my pocket".
R U sure?  I feel the same way but I find myself enjoying all the techno things too.
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #24 on: March 21, 2014, 08:41:51 pm
I didn't say I don't have anything smarter in my pocket, just that I don't want it. I was fine with no cell phone.  Then I got one when I got a bike again so my wife could check on me if I was out late riding to ensure I was not dead. Now she says I never put it down.  I mean, I am a professional computer programmer.  But the days I leave it behind when I leave the house seem much more relaxing.

Scott

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 21, 2014, 09:19:20 pm
It would be easy to characterize you lot as a bunch of old farts. But that would be missing the point, a lot of this technology just doesn't work right. If i have a touch screen i want it to react when i touch it, not 2 seconds later, or after the last thing i did cleared the %$^&* screen! It is amazing that the people in charge of these companies (the lawyers of course) let this crap get into production.
 Some stuff is great, side/head airbags, heated mirrors, adaptive cruise (don't knock it till' you try it) control etc. But, stupidly powerful airbags, to make up for drunks and people who are too tough to use seat belts, and parking aids etc just drive me nuts. Just be engaged and drive using common sense, that should just about take care of it. And, for crying out loud, doesn't anyone look further than past their front bumper anymore!
Rant over. ;D ;D ;D.
Robert.

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #26 on: March 21, 2014, 10:24:41 pm
Just be engaged and drive using common sense...

I finally got fed up with being a Safety Chair for my company for New Mexico when one of my bosses made the statement that "common sense" means different thing to different people, therefor it is never found in any company memo or policy.  :o
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 21, 2014, 10:27:48 pm
i treat cell phone users the same as the threat of someone pulling out in front of you.
Avoid them. if someones in front of you on their phone. get outta their way.