Author Topic: Newest Cell Phone Danger - Lookout!  (Read 5238 times)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
on: March 19, 2014, 10:46:22 pm
Three times in the last two days I have witnessed (& nearly been run down) Turning into a parking lot, only to find A Women in a Big Detroit Boat, turning toward the exit & coming all they way into my lane, obviously unable to control her vehicle, due to SUCKING on a Cell Phone. This was different Women, Locations, & Detroit Boats all three times. Made me so angry I wanted to pound phones down their throats. Everybody knows it's against the law to hold a cell phone while driving - But its getting much worse. Laws need to be more severe, Ranging from Vehicular Assault, to  Vehicular Attempted Murder, & Vehicular Homicide (depending on outcome)
BE VERY VERY CAREFUL!  This was in a town of under 6000 people.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:58 pm
I pretty much try to avoid all mini-vans and clean SUVs, especially those that are speeding.  They're generally filled with a family, which means a distracted driver male or female.  And I don't know why but they're always speeding.  Who speeds with their kids in the car?  Who are these people?  Soccer practice is not that important.  I don't care what the safety rating on the vehicle is, it's way safer if you're not going 80mph.

Scott
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 11:50:34 pm by Ducati Scotty »

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:31 pm
 >:(  I'll jump in on the cell phone rant - EVERY DAY I see it, women more than men, but I do see both.  They actually have BOTH hands texting on their phones!  Not even trying to slyly palm it in one hand while trying to keep an eye on the road, nope, BOTH hands on the phone, forearms used for steering...

I commute through town to and from work, I purposely choose the smaller streets just to deal with fewer people on the road.  It is sad and frustrating that a cool piece of technology combined with lackadaisical usage of said technology threatens to force motorcycle riders off the road.

I already know the inherent dangers of riding a motorcycle, I don't need asshat, center-of-the-universe people, afflicted with HUBS (Head Up Butt Syndrome) adding to those known dangers because of their perceived urgency to respond to a text chat.   >:(

Rant off   ::)

-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:57 pm
Craig, it is illegal use a hand held phone in California while driving, but not in Georgia. You are totally right on every other point.

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:30:50 am
The bizar thing however is we're advised to dress as xmastrees as if that'll ever work against cellular challenged ones.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 12:44:39 am
I wish all 50 states would pass laws making cell phone use while driving the same as a DUI. I keep a cell phone with me in my car and on my bike. But it is always turned off. Sometimes I will pull into a safe place, park, and check for messages.

NAPA parts delivery vehicles now have signs on the back window that say "cell phone free vehicle" I had NAPA get me a couple of those for my own cars.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:08:31 am
Remember Click & Clack's "Shut Up And Drive" campaign?  It included bumper stickers...  8)

Desi Bike

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:09:13 am
Newer vehicles that come with fancy touch screen radio systems often cause me problems on the road as a rider. These radio systems have developed into pretty much a touch screen computer mounted in the dashboard just sitting there ready to distract the driver.

Want to change the heater or air conditioning, go to this menu then that one, adjust, this then that. Hit the menu buttons again and navigate back to your radio station. Oh, the song that they are playing is your favorite, but you can't remember the artist, simply push a few more spots on the screen and you can now see the entire data for the band including the hairstylist that did their hair for the last tour. Oh, your hair.. Right, forgot about that. Hit the menu again and dial up your hairdresser to make an appointment. More menu buttons to navigate to a calender function, make note of the appointment and set a reminder alarm which, sadly you will miss because it will be your local funeral director doing your hair because you were supposed to be PAYING F@CKING ATTENTION TO DRIVING not futzing with electronics.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:00:09 am by Desi Bike »
میں نہیں چاہتا کہ ایک اچار
میں صرف اپنی موٹر سائیکل پر سوار کرنا چاہتے ہیں

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 02:35:41 am
Oh god, the number of distracted drivers out there (and here) is ridiculous!  We riders really have to assume we are invisible, even with high-beams on and reflective gear.  It is getting harder to get excited about going out for a longer ride.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 03:09:10 pm
I avoid city and urban freeway riding as much as possible. I prefer backroad riding. I have spent a great deal of my riding life on interstates, just racking up miles. I finally decided to slow down and smell the roses. There are millions of miles of rural roads in this country. I'm going to explore some of them. I have noticed that you are a lot safer from distracted drivers on these type of roads.

It's not just motorcyclists who are in danger from these idiots. Car drivers are running over each other. Ans I don't know how many times I have seen people walking down a sidewalk mindlessly staring at their smart phones and collide with each other. My daughter calls them cell phone zombies. Unfortunately she is one of them.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 08:52:56 pm
Desi: Want to change the heater or air conditioning, go to this menu then that one, adjust, this then that. Hit the menu buttons again and navigate back to your radio station.

I find that if I don't use the selector/volume control on the steering wheel and start mucking with the front panel, the car immediately starts to go all over the road..Forget plugging info for the GPS either, best to have that done before u depart ...The thing is I need to get with the program and figure out that voice recognition system that supposedly solve that problem... :-\
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 09:19:12 pm
I really don't like touch screens for basic controls because they are very distracting and you have to navigate menu levels, removing your attention from the road for too long.  Three dials are all you need for heating and cooling, a radio needs just a few buttons. 

I recently noticed the climate control dash lights were out in my car.  How long were they out?  Who knows.  I've owned the car for 17 years and never look at them since I know exactly where they are.  They could have been out for years.

Scott

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:25:17 pm
Duc:   They say that the car of the future will drive itself...Maybe that's a good thing, but it will probably irritate some of us assuming we live that long or if the human race last that long...I always liked a  huge red reset button ...GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 09:42:26 pm
There are many cars that already do it and a big push to market them.  I also suspect that some large car companies are against it, because when you sell me a car that drives itself and it crashes I'm going to sue the manufacturer.  Imagine a manufacturer had to absorb the cost of every accident that ever happened, damage and injuries.  So I'm not so sure we'll all be getting chauferred around by our cars tomorrow ;)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 21, 2014, 01:38:43 am
The last car was made somewhere in the 80s
They still make supercars though: no radio, no satnav, just shift'n vroem.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt