Author Topic: Ignition Problems  (Read 2960 times)

Roger ONeill

• Scooter
on: March 19, 2014, 06:45:19 pm
Good afternoon Gents,

We are having another problem with the Super Meteor. We cannot get the thing to start and we have come to the conclusion that the magnets in the SR lucas magneto are weak. Does anyone have any suggestions regarding the remagnetion of the rotor or some insights into an electronic conversion. We have already converted the electrics to 12 Volts.

Cheers,
Roger

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 06:48:54 pm
My mag was shot in the Blackhawk and I converted it to electronic ignition with the Thorspark ignition.  I'm very happy with it and it was easy to install and set.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Roger ONeill

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 07:29:18 pm
Thanks for the info. Where did you get the thor system and did it come with an adapter or did it fit into your magneto case?

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 09:47:08 pm
If you go on Ebay and search "Thorspark SR2" you will find it.  It simply replaces the points plate with a trigger plate in the existing magneto.  It's pretty straight forward.

Scottie J

Roger ONeill

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 09:52:47 pm
Thanks Scottie,

Now for the really stupid question. Do you have to mount coils and condensers to make it work?
Roger

Roger ONeill

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 11:03:38 pm
And yet another question!

Scottie, the reason for looking at the conversion is that we think the magnet in the SR mag is too weak to make a strong spark. With this in mind does the magnet and the advance mechanism connected by chain to in the timing chest stay in place when you when you carry out this conversion?

Roger

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:03 am
Never any stupid questions!   ;)

So here's how it works.  Keep in mind, I have a K2F mag, but the kit works and installs exactly the same way.

The kit come with a dual high tension lead coil, a magnetic rotor that mounts to the mag shaft and a electronic pick up ring that replaces the points ring.  You just simply remove the entire points assembly from the distributor.  The pick up then ring pretty much slides into place, I used a bit of Ultra Black silicone to make sure it didn't move.  To set the timing you just loosen the rotor and rotate it either direction to advance or retard the timing.  The actual advance of the timing still works with what ever you have, the automatic advance or manual.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lucas-Magneto-Electronic-Ignition-rewind-recondition-K2F-Mo1L-N1-K1F-magdyno-SR1-/151024720905?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2329c65c09&vxp=mtr

I see in the listing that the SR2 is not listed but the SR1, K1F and K2F are.  Just send them a message asking if the it will in fact work with the SR2.  I believe it should and I swear it used to be listed when I purchased mine last year.

Scottie J

Roger ONeill

• Scooter
Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 12:49:29 pm
Thanks Scottie,
We decided to order the Thor system. We can get it for the SR mag. When we get it and have it installed we will let you know. It will not be for a few weeks as we will be away.

Cheers,
Roger