Author Topic: front fork upgrades  (Read 2235 times)

dustystranger

• Scooter
on: March 18, 2014, 01:26:46 am
Any suggestions on how to improve the front forks?  I have read that atf and different springs make things better.  If you could pass on your personal experiences I would appreciate it.  All the best.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 02:38:10 am
I've been looking into the the Race Tech Vintage springs.  The appropriate size is 550mm x 30mm.  You can call Race Tech and tell them what you have, vehicle and rider weight and they can tell you what rate spring you need.  They also sell fork valve cartridge modulators that have good reviews.

http://racetech.com/page/id/56

Also a fork brace like the one Hitchcock's sells would make a good improvement.

12th item down
http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-suspension-front

Scottie J
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:46:31 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 03:35:52 am
I used YSS cartridge valve emulators.

Pretty easy to install, but you need to shorten the springs (cut and grind flat) and drill the pumping rods.  You also need short tubular spacers, which YSS will cut for you for a small fee.

My first time write-up:  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,15188.msg163193.html#msg163193

I then switched my fork to a disc brake unit, the type with the fender bosses in the sliders.  (Not the strut-mounted type.)  I needed the next emulator size down for these, which was a bummer; the tubes are slightly thicker-walled.

Race-tech can sell you emulators and springs, I think, and they are the USA-made original.  YSS is a clone.  But race-tech has never answered a single email I've sent; since I was overseas I preferred email to phone, and YSS USA support was very, very helpful.

Mikesxs.com also sells a super-cheap emulator.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 03:39:59 am by AgentX »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 18, 2014, 12:27:28 pm

.......Race-tech can sell you emulators and springs, I think, and they are the USA-made original.  YSS is a clone.  But race-tech has never answered a single email I've sent; since I was overseas I preferred email to phone, and YSS USA support was very, very helpful.......

That's unfortunate.  I have spoke with someone at Race Tech quite a few different times over the last few years about every bike I've owned since moving to Denver.  They have always been very friendly and helpful to me.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

AgentX

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 06:58:30 pm
That's unfortunate.  I have spoke with someone at Race Tech quite a few different times over the last few years about every bike I've owned since moving to Denver.  They have always been very friendly and helpful to me.

Scottie J

Tried email on 4 or 5 occasions over the years.  It is unfortunate, and I realize they are an on-the-phone kind of bunch, but in this case that fact cost them a customer.  I really hoped to work with them; I was disappointed, too.