Author Topic: Be careful out there  (Read 1476 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 16, 2014, 12:37:54 am
I went for a ride today, and by the time I got 35 miles from home, I passed 3 motorcycle accident scenes, one of them fatal. I went back home.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 03:29:33 am
Holy Crap!  WTF?!  Where exactly do you reside?  Is this a common occurrence in your area or a freak day?  I think I would have done the same and went back home too.  Yikes.    :-[

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 05:39:50 am
Too bad.  It's very sobering to see a rider down while you're trying to get in some cycle-therapy. 
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 12:27:11 pm
Sadly this is an all too common occurrence lately. From what i have seen, one cause is a whole generation of riders with little to no skills buying bikes to fill a mid life need. This became popular about 20 years ago, and I personally have lost 3 friends this way. Guys turn 50 and go out and buy a 700lb motorcycle with no prior riding history. This works ok until an emergency situation pops up and the lack of skill shows up in spades. I can tell you that I have been riding since 1968, raced motocross, hare scrambles, road riding since 1973, and at 59, I can feel my abilities slipping away. Under the current riding conditions here in New York, I think it's a miracle these guys live as long as they do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 12:30:39 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 08:09:31 pm
scjefferson is in AZ I believe, and yeah, pretty common here.  The good riding weather year round and solid road conditions encourages many to ride beyond their abilities.   :(
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 09:03:14 pm
These accidents were all on Queen Creek Rd/SR347, between Dobson Rd and the town of Maricopa, for those familiar with the area. The fatal accident was about a mile north of Riggs road on SR347. Bike was a bright red late model Harley FLH, laying in the median. They already had the deceased rider in a body bag when I got there. There was also a Toyota truck involved, but I have no idea what happened.

Yes there are a lot of motorcycle accidents in AZ, but three in such a short distance is unusual. I took it as an omen and headed carefully back home.

Apparently the victim was a cop. There may have been a passenger. This is all I could find on it. http://www.inmaricopa.com/Article/2014/03/15/one-dead-in-fatal-crash-on-sr-347
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 09:08:38 pm by suitcasejefferson »
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Bumboo

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:51 pm
Had much the same experience recently coming across a fatal accident and another serious crash on a recent Sunday p.m. ride.  Been riding/racing just shy of 50 years with nothing more serious than some self induced road-rash.   I now consider street riding a "contact" sport.  My days of no road too long, too cold, or too dark are, sadly, over.  I still get in about 15K a year but on my terms and at greater risks than ever.  I no longer believe I can ride daily and not get hurt; or worse.   Like any contact sport, I now ride only when I believe I'm "up for the game."  I try to stay focused and alert and hope I can keep the risks acceptable this way.  If I rode for daily transportation I don't think I could "stay in the game" with 100% focus for 100% of the time.  I don't think an athlete half my age can either.  There are just too many distracted drivers who believe they can text, listen to music at 120db, run at 75mph in the rain, bob and weave through traffic without looking, etc.  Lose situational awareness for only a moment and wham!    And I fully agree that there are way too many midlife crisis riders who lack the fundamental skills and safety-insight that's necessary to survive on any bike, let alone a road rocket or big cruiser.    And I always wonder, where the h....are the police when these jerks are running me off the road?  You'd have to be blind not to notice.  Well, here they're usually sitting just over the hill writing mindless speeding tickets to fill the coffers of their jurisdictions.  Fast is not the major problem.  Disrespectful piss poor drivers are and they've robbed me of my passion.  Sorry for the rant but I feel better now.  Thanks to whomever started this tread!