Author Topic: Mikuni TM32-1?  (Read 15676 times)

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #30 on: May 23, 2017, 09:24:34 pm
Long time no see, Dave!

Does ASBO 19's engine still run on points ignition?

Assuming it is carb and not ignition-related this might not help, but I do have a very low-mileage Pazon Sure Fire kit (Better than the Boyer, it only came off ASBO 12 because I fitted the magneto, it worked very well), this is up for grabs if you are interested.

I also have the Dell'Orto PHF32 off my old Electra-X (worked fine, it was replaced by a bigger Mikuni!), if the TM32 really won't play ball. 

Drop me a message if you're interested, I assume you're still local. Both items will be **cheap** if they're staying in the family.

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: May 24, 2017, 01:48:17 pm
Ace, I've tried everything you mention ten times over, bar retarding the timing. I have even check some of the ignition wiring thinking it may be an ignition issue. Since yesterday I even tried a 25 pilot jet. Which ran worse. Put a 30 pilot jet back into it, and spent ages with it. Got back to running really decent. But on the ride home last night. It still coughed and cut out. Its a shame really because when I get past the idle circuit the bike pulls and goes very well.

Adrian thanks for the kind offer. Yes Paul retro fitted points when the engine was asbo'ed. It has been running fine generally. I think I will retard the timing ever so slightly. I may take you up on the Sure fire kit.

How did you mount the Dell-Orto carb?

Will drop you a pm.

Adrian II

• Grand Gearhead
  • Sharing my ignorance with anyone who needs it
Reply #32 on: May 24, 2017, 03:53:10 pm
Dave,

Look out for an e-mail from my alter-ego's spam trap account, in case you don't know why Eddie Splinge is!

A.
Grumpy Brit still seeking 500 AVL Bullet perfection! Will let you know if I get anywhere near...

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #33 on: May 24, 2017, 08:37:16 pm
Ace, I've tried everything you mention ten times over, bar retarding the timing. I have even check some of the ignition wiring thinking it may be an ignition issue. Since yesterday I even tried a 25 pilot jet. Which ran worse. Put a 30 pilot jet back into it, and spent ages with it. Got back to running really decent. But on the ride home last night. It still coughed and cut out. Its a shame really because when I get past the idle circuit the bike pulls and goes very well.

Adrian thanks for the kind offer. Yes Paul retro fitted points when the engine was asbo'ed. It has been running fine generally. I think I will retard the timing ever so slightly. I may take you up on the Sure fire kit.

How did you mount the Dell-Orto carb?

Will drop you a pm.
Dave,
I don't know what the issue is with your TM, but I can assure you that the carb is very compatible with the bike. There are over 40 Fireballs out there with those carbs on them. Many other Bullets of various stages of tune with them too.
I am pretty certain that it can be made to work for your application.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: June 02, 2017, 09:04:16 pm
Thanks for your perseverance. I have got it sorted for now. Back on the 30 pilot jet nicely dialled in, and the exhaust fumes smell rich at idle.

The main problem in the end turned out to be the points. The points gap had closed up and wasn't separating enough. Bikes running champion now.

My bike still has the standard quality cams in them ( Bullet Whispers description ). I was thinking to install some of Henry's R cams or some of your magnum cams Ace, Ace do you have some of your cams ready to go and if so what price? I have to bear in mind import duty and taxes.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2017, 01:45:57 pm by Dave1 »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #35 on: June 04, 2017, 11:40:46 pm
Thanks for your perseverance. I have got it sorted for now. Back on the 30 pilot jet nicely dialled in, and the exhaust fumes smell rich at idle.

The main problem in the end turned out to be the points. The points gap had closed up and wasn't separating enough. Bikes running champion now.

My bike still has the standard quality cams in them ( Bullet Whispers description ). I was thinking to install some of Henry's R cams or some of your magnum cams Ace, Ace do you have some of your cams ready to go and if so what price? I have to bear in mind import duty and taxes.
Hi Dave,
Get them from Henry. It will be much cheaper than overseas purchase, shipping and VAT, and of similar design. The inlet valve closes much later than stock, so you may want to bump up the compression a bit.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2017, 12:42:52 am by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: June 05, 2017, 09:05:28 pm
Thanks, ordered some R cams from Henry. The compression of my engine is 9.5:1.