Author Topic: You convinced me, new bike. GT No Way!  (Read 10603 times)

Pauly

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 05:40:16 am
I feel like the G5s are under represented here, so..................G5
2010 G5
'84 Honda VF45

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 06:17:08 am
The more I have been fooling around with performance mods for all of the UCE engines, it is becoming clear that the best bang for the buck and for reliability is weight reduction. There is so much low hanging fruit on all of the bikes....... of course a diet for the rider is helpful too!
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 06:54:06 am
On all the Bullets, the modifications require a full attention to the power making aspects. It's not just some simple one thing that is easy to do.
This is no different with the UCE, except that we seem to be able to work with the stock bottom-end as it comes from the factory, and this greatly reduces the cost and labor to do some power upgrades, because we only have to work on the top end.
It comes down to improving breathing, and improving compression when possible, and increasing rpms.

The factory does an adequate job for the power making design in the engine, for the intended goal of the motorcycle, from their point of view. They don't do anything "wrong", but they apparently aren't aiming at high power. So, it's a matter for a person who knows how to modify cylinder heads to go in there and make changes to the flow paths inside the head, to increase the flow in the proper ways. This requires some expertise, because it's essentially a partial re-design of the engine.

After seeing the UCE head, and working with it on the flow bench, and generally assessing the design, there is potential for plenty of power out of this platform, when properly modified to reach that goal.
I feel it can be made to deliver power as well as anything we have done with the Iron Barrel models, which is considerable.  And I think that it has potential to do it at somewhat lower cost than modifying an Iron Barrel to the same levels. Not necessarily a "cheap" modification to get the power up, but not as expensive as we have seen in the other models. Of course, the higher power desired, the more cost it will take to get there. But, these UCE engines don't have to be low power output if the owner wants to undertake a modification program on them. We have several in the shop right now, undergoing various stages of modification. They do respond to the correct approaches. They can make power.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 03:14:16 pm
.......of course a diet for the rider is helpful too!

Kevin, that's soooooooo un-American.  ;)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 04:30:33 pm
Kevin, that's soooooooo un-American.  ;)

Actually victim blaming is the favorite pastime of a large majority of US americans.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 05:42:17 pm
Too true.

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 07:25:59 pm
The engine, clutch, transmission  will take 40-50 hp. In some was the bottom end is the limiting factor because of the needle bearings on the rod.
It is a great bottom end and is great for the HP it can make. If you want to go whole hog like making a dragster (which I doubt anyone would do or want to) that will be an obstacle.
The engine in its current form is built and tuned for maximum economy and not for power as you point out. Product development did this very purposfully. Works for the main market in India but here not as much. Heads, throttle bodies, mapping, pistons, barrels, cams etc. are all fertile areas. There are some people that have done or are starting to do some pretty advanced work in these areas with the engine. RE did a great job of making this engine beefy with lots of extra meat, good oiling and cooling so it will take a lot of mods with no reliability issues. In service we have almost no engine failures even with hard riding and higher mileages. Of course you get one here and there but I can count them on one hand.
Before this year is out some very good stuff will be on the market.

All of the UCE bikes are ripe for weight reduction however. I think 50 pounds is doable.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 08:37:40 pm
Kevin: Not to stereotype but most Indian chaps are 140 lbs and under...I have a long way to go to get in that range... :)
Oh Magoo you done it again

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 09:17:52 pm
I'm 230, well under the bikes rated load capacity of almost 400 pounds. But I suspect the shocks will not support 400 pounds. I have mine set on max preload. I intend to leave the engine alone. Speed and power were the last things I was looking for when I bought the Enfield. If you want that, buy a Japanese bike. I wanted the vintage look, simplicity, some vibration, and a cool sound. I'm also willing to do a lot more maintenance than most riders today are, in fact I actually enjoy it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 10:07:10 pm
Kevin:
I'm sure you are right when you say, "The engine, clutch, transmission  will take 40-50 hp...." which is why I think RE kinda missed the boat on the GT.

The early speculations about it mentioned the 535cc displacement along with a estimated horsepower around 35.
A 7 horsepower increase  would be a 25% increase over the existing UCE's and with just a little messing with the compression and camshafts it would be easily doable.

While not in the league of the Japanese bikes, 35 horsepower still would have been a welcome, noticeable increase, more in line with the sporting appearance of the GT.

Now that it is launched, it's too late for the factory to change the model but I feel they could offer an official factory upgrade for sale to the public and make a considerable profit in the process.
While they were at it, perhaps the hotter camshafts would also fit the 500cc UCE?  :D

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 11:27:01 pm
Before this year is out some very good stuff will be on the market.

This, boys and girls, is what I think they call in the biz, a tease.  He's done it before...  ;)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 04:30:54 pm
Hey folks, I own a great G5 Deluxe, & the only reason I don't own a GT is financial. I know the riding benefits of the twin loop cradle frame, Aluminum rim wheels, brake upgrades & etc. Sure there are things I'd change, but none a deal breaker. I'd already have one-if I had the wherewithal.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 06:10:24 pm
 8)For a moment there I didn't think I was on the "Enfield" site!! ???Horsepower ??? s. The wise man on this site said "You can see the entire world on 20 horsepower....the rest is just wheel spin"   I had a 107 horse (at the rear wheel) Honda VTR 1000. I sold it for a 18 horse, single cylinder BMW. Now I'm on a 18 horse C5. ...Ask me if I'm finally happy. Hint ! The answer starts with a Y**.

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 06:30:32 pm
I don't think anyone will flog you for buying an C5 AND a Duke.  What a pair!  Good for you.  I think you should name one Passive, and other Aggressive. 

Those KTMs with the 690 single (Duke and Supermoto) are unanimously praised by anyone who's ridden one.  I'd love to hear your impressions of it.  There's a Duke 390 as well, although I'm not sure it's in the States yet.

And remember, your Enfileld isn't retro - It wasn't made in the fashion of an older bike.  Despite recent changes, the Bullet has been around for decades!
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:44 pm
Sure looks like the old Continental to me! Not that there's anything wrong with that!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com