Author Topic: C5 Classic fork springs  (Read 5758 times)

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 07:44:03 pm
I have a new C5. I just replaced both from and rear suspension. I choose Progressive Suspension. Measure the rear shock eye to eye, order the shock in this length. Order springs that suit your weight. Progressive has figured the sag for the rear in the application. Progressive will give you the part number for the front springs and the amount of static pre-load comes with the kit.

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 07:56:50 pm
Thanks for the info. I've got 18kg Hagons on the rear which is just right for my weight. The front upgrade you've done is next on the list.

(if I don't become a heretic in the meantime, having lustful thoughts about the 690 Superduke I checked out yesterday)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 08:22:20 pm
The standard oganic kevlar ones. I didn't like metallic pads when I tried them on other bikes but I'm not an aggressive enough rider to get heat into them anyway.

cheers

Agreed.  Unless you're putting the bike on the track I'd rather have smooth modulation than maximum stopping power.   They tend to beat up your disc too.  I am keeping the metallics in mind if I add a sidecar though.

Swingarm, what diameter springs did you get from Progressive?  When I contacted them they did not have the right diameter.  I tried some slightly undersized springs from Sonic but they squeaked like an old gate hinge.  Do you have the part number?

Scott

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 08:55:55 pm
Prof has done and recommends the Progressive upgrade on the front. I've done rear shocks (Hagons), 10w fork oil and brake pads. Surprisingly the pads have made a big real world difference. I might try 15w fork oil if I can be bothered with the effort, otherwise the Prof's Progressive spring upgrade looks like a goer. Sonic won't supply RE springs now.

Re metal brake pads - I found them too savage for normal road use, almost dangerous particularly on the rear of an elderly Suzuki GS850G and not much better on a Yamaha XJ900S. I can't see how a UCE (sans sidecar) has the grunt or weight to make them work properly even for a very determined rider.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: March 20, 2014, 09:05:28 pm
Sonic won't supply RE springs now.

I suspect that's because I had problems with them.

Scott

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #20 on: March 21, 2014, 10:05:56 pm
[Let me sort out the springs. I installed them, but they are stiff. Also a bit of a different diameter than the Indian springs. So, until I am satisfied, I'd hold my comments. Just am not sure right now.Rear shocks are fine. Dennis Kirk sells the progressive rear. There is no direct application for the Enfield. So, I had to measure preload for the first inch of travel, diameter and over all length.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:08:36 pm by Professor »

swingarm

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 22, 2014, 01:43:54 am
I reckon I'll drop the idea of a front spring upgrade for now based on the collective experience of Scotty and Prof.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 08:55:23 pm by swingarm »

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #22 on: March 22, 2014, 05:13:39 am
I'm going to visit Race Tech this week so I'll let you know what they can do.

Professor

• Bulleteer
Reply #23 on: March 25, 2014, 01:39:04 am
Go to Race Tech on the net. There are Race Tech dealers/suspension shops who can help you. This is not beyond fixing. What we look for is catalog fix, here is part number, buy it and install. For the Enfield that won't work. More in depth work is required. Trust me GT owners will start this ball rolling.

The_Rigger

• Grease Monkey
  • Mom Always Liked You Better...
Reply #24 on: May 01, 2014, 09:40:12 am
Hagons are the best single upgrade I've done on this bike.

+1!!!
-Dave
2012 C5 Special
Central Michigan, USA (when I'm not working somewhere else)