Author Topic: Continental GT Headlight  (Read 2550 times)

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 15, 2014, 08:30:49 pm
I installed a 7" light on my GT. The Nfield gear ring kit works with a slight modification.
As it comes from the factory, the uppermost mounting screw (at the 12 o'clock position) has a captive nut welded on inside the chrome headlight shell. I used a small needle file to remove the threads from inside the nut so that the retaining clip that comes with the headlight ring kit can be used. Once the threads are gone, you can thread the top mounting screw thru the captive nut and into the retaining clip; as the screw is tightened the clip moves upward and locks the headlight ring in place. I haven't ridden it too much yet, just a short ride around the neighborhood. I'm hoping that the retaining clip provides enough 'bite' to keep it sturdy for many years to come. If not, I may have to take a dremel and remove the welded in nut from the inside of the headlight shell. That will give it another couple mm in upward travel.
I also found that the jumper plug for the headlight switch is there as well. I removed the jumper so that my off/pilot/headlight switch would be functional.
(Disclaimer:This is NOT an Dept of Transportation approved modification, so if you do this and then go and get in a wreck because you ride around in the dark with your lights off, don't blame me.  8) )
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 08:58:00 pm
You beat me to this by a few minutes!  This mod does reduce the front to back depth by about 1", with 1/2" coming off the inner ring and 1/2" off the protruding convex front of the 5" light.

What turn signals did you put on the bike?

GSS
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:46:13 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:27:24 pm
What turn signals did you put on the bike?
GSS

I used some Emgo signals I bought off ebay. They're actually dual filament units; I thought about using the weaker filament as a running light (and may do so if I ever change the headlight) but my tri-bar light has a running light in it, so I have that wired up on the pilot light circuit
I'm hoping the charging system can keep up with the higher wattage bulb. At idle, I've got about 13.4-13.6V with the lights off....but with the headlight on it drops down to about 12.35V at idle. Reving the motor up increases with the voltage up to almost 14V, so in theory it should be ok voltage wise. The increased current flow on the wiring may be another story. I'm going to order some 35W bulbs just in case. 
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 09:33:35 pm by dginfw »
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:49:46 am
Here are some photos showing the reduction in depth.  This two ring compromise is still not as clean as the Indian and Aussie GTs, but will have to do until I can find an OEM GT 7" ring.  I did put in an Adjure diamond cut DOT headlight....no tri-bar as I have that on the C5 and didn't want the same look for the GT.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 02:58:45 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:55:09 am
The current 7 inch headlight kit will in fact fit as has been pointed out. It does require a very minor mod. as also pointed out. We will have some OEM GT 7 inch lights before too long.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:33:21 am

.......I'm hoping the charging system can keep up with the higher wattage bulb. At idle, I've got about 13.4-13.6V with the lights off....but with the headlight on it drops down to about 12.35V at idle. Reving the motor up increases with the voltage up to almost 14V, so in theory it should be ok voltage wise. The increased current flow on the wiring may be another story. I'm going to order some 35W bulbs just in case.

That's totally normal voltage behavior.  You're fine.    ;)

The headlight looks fantastic too!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 02:49:02 am
I used some Emgo signals I bought off eBay.
These seem to be pretty much what I had ordered after looking through a zillion listings.  It didn't have a manufacturer name listed, but should be here in a few days.....hopefully these turn out to be EMGO units as well.  Thanks.

GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs: