Author Topic: swing arm pix...  (Read 6298 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 13, 2014, 07:18:31 am
so i pulled her all apart. didnt take the centers outta the swing arm though.
wheel bearings are fine swing arm is straight and true. gave her a good kero clean up...
looks like i just need the bushes and what the heck is that clamp bit and where does it go!
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 07:21:39 am by Sectorsteve »

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 13, 2014, 09:19:59 am
only lettin me do 1 pic at a time..

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 13, 2014, 09:21:31 am
and another...

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 13, 2014, 09:23:39 am
for some reason they are upside down...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 13, 2014, 10:55:14 am
Did you check the holes where the swing arm bolts to the frame to make sure they are not ovaled or bent out of shape?

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 13, 2014, 03:53:43 pm
In picture #4, the slot on swingarm for anchor plate nut appears damaged as compared to my G5. The anchor plate may be sliding slightly when rear brake is applied causing it to lock up - just a thought.   

There may be other reasons for rear wheel brakes locking up, so each potential cause needs to be looked at individually.

Forum website is not letting you post more than 1 picture because pictures size is very large 3260x2450 pixels. Edit each picture by Paint or any software to reduce the PIXEL SIZE to approximately 900x675 and then you will be able to load about 4 pictures.
« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 04:27:31 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 13, 2014, 06:33:32 pm
In picture #4, the slot on swingarm for anchor plate nut appears damaged as compared to my G5. The anchor plate may be sliding slightly when rear brake is applied causing it to lock up - just a thought.   

+1....  It looks like that wheel and brake assembly were sliding around a bit.  The bush doesn't  look bad in the pic. And I'm not entirely sure what those clamps are ?  .... I've seen them in pix on later model bikes .  I THINK that they clamp over the swing arm, in the area of the bushes, on either side. And may be there for added support ?   Just a guess....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 13, 2014, 08:54:17 pm
thanks guys. holes arent ovaled scotty, and yes singh the plate is def a bit warped. ive ordered new bushes anyway. hitchcocks make some good ones, Brian(whoguy) suggested using a big washer and a big nut that would fit the brake plate thread but cover the slot. This could help. the other thing we might do is weld a strip of steel in that slot so the brake bolt fits snug.
im about to put back together now. the swing plate def is still prob not true. it was way more bent that that before from the first lock up. i just honestly find it difficult getting that plate to exactly where it should be. im trying to mirror the other plate. ill give it another shot today before i put it all together.
thanks again guys :) hope its warming up for you there. this morning is a slight chill! finally hitting autumn. im going sailing today with the missus...

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: March 13, 2014, 10:07:31 pm
  If you guys wanted to go crazy when you install the new bushes..... you could drill through the swing arm pivot tube and through the inner sleeve. Tap the hole and put some grease fittings in there, so you can get some lubrication between pivot bolt and the sleeve it rides in... Just give it a squirt of grease now and then and prolong the life of the pivot bolt and sleeve and a little smoother operation........ 

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 13, 2014, 11:12:12 pm
coool!
so ive just put all back together and the weird thing now is that there is absolutely no movement in the swing arm. the other day there was and i couldnt get it any tighter, but taking it off and putting it on did something.
I may even have the brake right. really got in there with brake cleaner , gresed cams and now what ive done is something so maori as a temp fix that im too embarressed to take pix of it.
i had a spare nut, that massive one of about 26mm that sits on the insideof the arm and on the brake plate., of course this fits that same thread as they share it, so ive used that now as the brake plate nut, but ive jammed a tiny nut under the bolt and tightened that brake plate nut so tight. there can be no movement now. none. got a really vibe about this. she might work, but of course i dont wanna leave it like that.
i think the whole problem was movement. in the swing arm and on that brake plate slot.
i think RE should re think that slot. why is it so much wider than the pivot bolt?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 13, 2014, 11:14:29 pm
sounds like a great idea!
i did order the new bushes. ive greased the crap outta the swing arm bolt now too. i acutally dont think my bushes are stuffed at all.
ill prob leave that swing arm on for a bit. We will see!

If you guys wanted to go crazy when you install the new bushes..... you could drill through the swing arm pivot tube and through the inner sleeve. Tap the hole and put some grease fittings in there, so you can get some lubrication between pivot bolt and the sleeve it rides in... Just give it a squirt of grease now and then and prolong the life of the pivot bolt and sleeve and a little smoother operation........

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: March 13, 2014, 11:21:33 pm
Lots of bikes I've worked on have a slot molded into the aluminum brake backing plate, and small tab welded to the swingarm.  The slot and tab mate nicely together and it's easy to slide back and forth for chain adjustment.  I don't think there's anything wrong with the RE setup so long as that nut stays tight.  Once it's the tiniest bit loose the hub is going to rock back and forth evey time you brake and accelerate.  Make sure to use some Loc-Tite on it or safety wire it.

Good luck Steve!

If only I could count the times I've taken something apart, changed nothing, put it back together, and found it was fixed :P

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 14, 2014, 01:12:01 am
  Good deal Steve, sounds like you have it all socked down tight.... Just a reminder on that Torque spec on the swing are pivot bolt.  Don't murder it ! ;D   If you go TOO tight, well.... the swing arm can't swing.  You may hit a pot hole, and all of a sudden your bike is a few inches lower in the arse end.... Then hit a bump band it's back again !   It should be snugged up, so it can move pretty freely up and down, but no side to side play up by where it mounts to the frame... you get the idea  ;)    That spec was 70 N/M  according to the book....

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 14, 2014, 03:41:44 am
Thanks guys. And thanks Ghg for that torque advice. I'll be sure to check. Current view... My shitty little boat in a secluded beach....

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #14 on: March 14, 2014, 06:54:12 am

+2

During my first clean up of the rear brake drum + cam greasing, that anchor nut washer needed some filing to go back on properly. To ensure its integrity and tightness, I just put a smaller heavy duty washer in front of it. This was 14000km ago, including another clean of the brake drum about 8000km after the first clean up. Refer to attached photo. You can try the same with bigger washers, however the damage seems quite a bit. I think it is safer to replace the swingarm with a newer one  :-X Just my suggestion.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies