Author Topic: muffler woes  (Read 9533 times)

Elliotthd

• Scooter
Reply #15 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:44 pm
I had this exact problem. Twice. The first time I had it replaced under warranty. The second time I just put the EFI Silencer on it from nfieldGear. The bike sound meaner and has more bottom end now without all the restriction the stock pipe makes. I don't believe there was a significant gain in HP though. Just noticeable when accelerating. Honestly, I wouldn't stick that stock piece of poo back on the bike again if someone paid me too.
2013 RE C5 Classic,
2005 Honda Shadow Aero 936,
1978 CB750 Hardtail JockeyBob,
1978 Yamaha XS750 Bobber (was a Cafe)

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 06:27:34 pm
Chris

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 06:35:30 pm
If you get that short one spend another $10 for muffler packing and repack it before you even use it.  Their mufflers are pretty good but they don't put much packing in.

Scott

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 07:37:28 pm
If you get that short one spend another $10 for muffler packing and repack it before you even use it.  Their mufflers are pretty good but they don't put much packing in.

Thanks for the heads up, how far off was fitment?

Scott
Chris

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 07:43:56 pm
I haven't fitted the short one, mine was one of the longer ones.  It was easy.  Use the reducers and paste on the inlet, position the hanger on a convenient bolt and slide it to the right spot on the muffler.  The only thing I was lazy about was where I bolted the hanger bracket to the bike.  I would have gone to the footpeg but the hole was too small, so I just bolted it to the fender strut bolt.  I drill it and go to the bigger bolt.  One day ;)

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 12, 2014, 09:39:38 pm
the bluing around the O2 Sensor is because the sensor holds the heat there. Any of them will do that.
As for running a straight pipe, it won't harm anything but ears and possibly the local constabulary, may take a crack at your wallet.
To say you can't tune for a straight pip is total BS. Motorcycles for decades were tuned with straight pipes. You can do a lot with them With a single cylinder engine, your options aren't so great. Length and diameter are the only options! If you want top end power a short pipe works, If you want low end torque a long pipe is better. They both make a lot of noise. Neither will blow up your engine of screw up your valves! The engine will run with no pipe and get you there. Very loud and less power then a pipe will get you. Look at WWII fighter planes. hey had very short stacks. Premid 50s Formula One cars, the same. Early 2 stroke scramblers ('50s and'60s)had a very short megaphone that ended right under the crankcase. Then expansion chambers came along and squelched the Meggies. Still no muffler. Those things were loud! Caused the demise of many a good race track!
As for your plight, I liked the EFI mufflers. Not too loud, but sounded great! Never ruffled a cop's feathers. And no problems with pieces falling off, as opposed to some of the other offerings out there. They will definitely mount on a B5. The GoldStar is nice, just the muffler, use your own head pipe. They are a bit pricey, though.
Bare
« Last Edit: March 12, 2014, 09:45:51 pm by barenekd »
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #21 on: March 12, 2014, 09:55:37 pm
Thanks Bare, for some reason I thought running without a header risked the possibility of warping a valve... 
Chris

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 02:49:29 pm
thanks elliot, really leaning toward the short bottle...  but then I could save $100 on http://www.dimecitycycles.com/vintage-cafe-racer-caferacer-bobber-brat-chopper-custom-motorcycle-exhaust-parts-17-inch-reverse-cone-megaphone-muffler-80-84030.html
Hi, Have a look on Ebay, I think the dime city item is over priced & too short. Please look at longer upswept mufflers, which will never drag. You should find something good for $90. or under.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 03:13:05 pm
Hi, Have a look on Ebay, I think the dime city item is over priced & too short. Please look at longer upswept mufflers, which will never drag. You should find something good for $90. or under.

i'm not really an upswept fan, do you feel the can is to fat and would cook the hub/drum?

i'm not really a fan of the upswept,  by to short are you worried about cookink the.drum
Chris

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 05:49:03 pm
i'm not really an upswept fan, do you feel the can is to fat and would cook the hub/drum?

i'm not really a fan of the upswept,  by to short are you worried about cookink the.drum
UPSWEPT doesn't mean pointing skyward, it just means tilted up to about axle height. I'm seeing some folks put fat mufflers straight back. There is a good chance of it dragging during a suspension movement while cornering. Also a slight upswept muffler is frequently protected by the foot peg if the bike falls over.
LENGTH: It is a good practice to keep the exhaust as close to the rear of the bike as possible. My up turned cocktail shaker ends just at the rear of the rear sprocket, but Id have liked it a bit longer. Manufacturers always run the exhaust close to the rear, Law officers always notice obvious aftermarket shorties, if they are in doubt about your decibel levels. a longer exhaust will also keep the bike cleaner. I personally like to see an exhaust that appears made for the machine & not something cobbled together. Get the measurements of the part you are looking at & go measure you bike & VISUALIZE. "Measure twice & cut once"

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 05:52:20 pm
17" puts it right about center of the hub, still haven't talked the wife into anything yet...  so I'm dredging the net for any and all ideas...
Chris

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 13, 2014, 05:57:24 pm
TRY THIS GUYS EBAY SALE, I have bought mufflers & other items from him. Have the outside diameter of your header pipe & length to be fitted. He's a nice guy, you can even call him to discuss your needs. he has some interesting NOS period items.
THIS EBAY SALE IS# 4637519558     Happy Hunting with Airman Bear

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 13, 2014, 06:13:58 pm
SEE UPSWEPT MUFFLER PHOTO. That is what I'm talking about. Not goofy or radical, but 100% Functional. This is why late model meridian Triumph, Norton, Ducati, BMW etc. all do this. No chance of dragging, or even being scratched if the bike falls, being tucked out of the way. Also, it looks consistent with the bike.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 13, 2014, 06:15:20 pm
I absolutely love my EMGO Cocktail shakers!  Well worth the money and they sound amazing.

YEAH!  +++++++10

And if you want to know how good they sound.......    ;D  ;D  ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IgAGViibdCE

Scottie J

FiRE Comms

• Bulleteer
  • '11 C5
Reply #29 on: March 13, 2014, 06:33:24 pm
Scottie's setup looks GREAT, I partly don't trust my skills on keeping things straight with the frame...  thought it might be "easier" to just go straight off the header keeping things inline...
Chris