Author Topic: 2013 B5 thread  (Read 10536 times)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 11, 2014, 08:31:45 pm
As for the engine getting hot, they don't. The oil temp generally will stay a bit too cool, AFAIC. The pipe bluing is normal around the head. It's a real motorcycle, fer crissake! If the bluing runs down the length of the pipe, you may have a problem!
At 127 miles, your bike hasn't even started to break in. It'll take a couple of thousand miles before it's really there. It just keeps getting better and better as the miles rack up. That doesn't mean you need to mollycoddle it. Just ride it without trying to break any speed Records. If you like to hot rod, just don't get too carried away. If you like to ride it like it's an RE, do it. You ain't gonna hurt it. The UCE engines are really very robust and reliable.
Enjoy it and don't fret about everything that it does.
If you haven't changed your spark plug yet, put an NGK BPR6ES in it. The stock plug isn't too great. Keep a close eye on the chain. When it starts needing adjusting every couple of hundred miles get rid of it and put a quality chain on it. DID, Tsubaki, etc.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 12, 2014, 12:23:17 am
It now has 160 miles on it, and the chrome is actually starting to turn black around the oxygen sensor. Still confined to that location. Engine does not feel or smell hot, when you park it after a 20 mile ride, you can touch the top cover and both side covers without getting burned. I have another Japanese bike for freeway riding. I bought the Bullet for backroad riding. I just love the sound and feel.

Can the chain be replaced with an o-ring type, or is there not enough clearance? I did run into that problem once with another bike.

As for the heel and toe shifter, I had one on a Goldwing, and never did get used to it. I finally replaced it with the stock shifter. Some get along with them just fine, some don't. But thanks for the suggestion.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #17 on: March 12, 2014, 03:17:25 pm
Yes the chain can be R&R'd with an O-Ring chain. Nfield Gear sells a Tsubaki that's a clean change out. I R&R'd mine almost immediately, though others waited until their OEM chains were needing it.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: March 12, 2014, 03:55:06 pm
But the chain I got needed a larger drive sprocket... or so I was told.  And I always believe everything I read on the interweb...

ruufman58

• Scooter
Reply #19 on: March 12, 2014, 05:54:52 pm
I am curious about the heel to shifter.I have a problem with my left foot which makes it difficult to pull the shift lever up.I have to move my entire leg to do it.A previous bike had a heel and toe shifter which made life easier.Was it an RE item or off another bike?

150 mies so far in Ct since January.Trying to break in before the good weather gets here.

Took a quick blast to 70 MPH yesterday held it for 3 seconds and backed off to 50.No increase in vibration at all.

6'-2" 250 lbs :

2013 G5Deluxe riding since 72

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #20 on: March 13, 2014, 03:10:09 am
............. I always believe everything I read on the interweb...

send me all your money, and I'll take all cares away .......
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 13, 2014, 03:49:05 am
I went back to the dealer today, picked up the owners manual and box of spares. Also picked up a couple of oil filters. Bike still running great, but I did have a couple more issues. I filled up the gas tank for the first time, and when I opened the filler cap I found the paint was peeling around the edges. Some of it fell down inside the tank. I'm hoping there is a filter in the tank to prevent debris from getting into the FI system. I also had a turn signal bulb burn out. I tried an 1156 bulb in it, like my Japanese bike uses, it fit in the socket, but would not come on. It was also much larger than the oem bulb, and the lens would not fit. Are the oem bulbs something I can get at the local auto parts store, or are they some weird size?

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 13, 2014, 05:20:38 am
. I also had a turn signal bulb burn out. I tried an 1156 bulb in it, like my Japanese bike uses, it fit in the socket, but would not come on. It was also much larger than the oem bulb, and the lens would not fit. Are the oem bulbs something I can get at the local auto parts store, or are they some weird size?

Do you have a picture of your OEM bulb, does it look like the one below ?

The turn signal bulb in my G5 was Philips bulb that corresponds to Osram 5008 12V 10W BA15S - a single contact bayonet base.  I got it from a BMW motorcycle dealer. Details in this link -

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=7413.0

« Last Edit: March 13, 2014, 05:48:02 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 13, 2014, 05:46:41 am
Yep, that's it. But it looks like I messed up. Turns out it is not the bulb. The 1156 bulb fit perfectly in the socket, so I wondered why it wouldn't light. So I removed the bulb from the turn signal on the other side and tried it, it didn't work either. So I have a loose connection somewhere, and am not getting voltage to the socket. Have to get out the multimeter and track it down. Front signal still flashes, just a lot faster than normal.

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 13, 2014, 07:54:56 pm
If you have a C5 with an 18T sprocket, the oring chain will fit right in. Unfortunately, the G5 and B5 come with 17T sprockets because of the 19" rear wheel. An Oring chain will not clear the trannie output shaft bearing housing. You need to upgrade to an 18T sprocket.
Pros; you get a chain that will last a long time. You won't have to worry even about adjusting it for several thousand miles. Your vibration peaks move up the mph scale and smooth out the normal cruising speeds. Your RPM will drop from your current cruising to a lower cruising RPM.
Cons; You have to replace the sprocket, you need a big socket for this. Not to mention having to pull the side cover and losing the oil. Your top speed will not improve. Your mileage will not improve. You acceleration will decrease a bit, still adequate, though.
Is it worth it? I think so! Worked for me.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: March 13, 2014, 09:15:13 pm
Thanks for the chain info. I'll put some thought into it while I wear out the oem chain. The increased possibility of lugging the engine is what bothers me a bit.

I found the turn signal problem, and it was not something I expected. I unplugged the connector behind the right side black box, where it connects to the harness from the tail/brake/turn signal harness. I found I did not have continuity on the hot wire that goes to the right rear turn signal. I traced the wire where it is clamped along the underside of the back fender, and up close to the front, I found the tire had rubbed against it, worn through the plastic sheath, broken the turn signal wire, and damaged a couple of other wires. This may have been caused by excessive rear suspension sag, or it could have been just loose wiring rubbing on the tire. I am going to modify the harness to make it longer, and reroute it under the seat, away from the tire.

The rear shocks appear to be adjustable for preload, but there was no adjuster tool in the tool kit, and no reference to it in the owners manual. I have a huge box of oem tools from Japanese bikes, hopefully one of them will fit.

In looking at the rear part of the frame, it does not look very strong. I weigh 230, and the manual says the load capacity is 398, so I should be ok.

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #26 on: March 14, 2014, 12:25:59 pm
............I filled up the gas tank for the first time, and when I opened the filler cap I found the paint was peeling around the edges. Some of it fell down inside the tank. I'm hoping there is a filter in the tank to prevent debris from getting into the FI system. .......

Yep ....  guess what comes next ?  the paint continues to soften until it starts to affect the topmost horizontal surface where the rubber seals the cap.  Then the paint starts delaminating, and, you begin to notice fuel leaking out onto your tank.

conventional wisdom is - don't fill the tank completely full.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 14, 2014, 03:53:15 pm
The rear shocks appear to be adjustable for preload, but there was no adjuster tool in the tool kit, and no reference to it in the owners manual. I have a huge box of oem tools from Japanese bikes, hopefully one of them will fit.

A pair of water pump pliers (Slip joint, to you moderns) will easily turn the shock adjusting ring. Might want to put a rag under them to keep from scratching. A hook type spanner is available from Cycle Gear.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 14, 2014, 11:39:38 pm
I got lucky and found a shock adjuster that was a perfect fit in my box of Japanese tools, and set the rear shocks at max preload. Hopefully that will be enough.

I got the wiring harness repaired and rerouted it under the seat. I ran it out the top left corner of the tail light housing, and under the seat. The only place it is visible is about 3" between the seat and tail light housing. With the paint being dark green, it is barely visible.

Got my nfield gear catalog in the mail today. Have a feeling this bike is going to become a major money pit.

Also got my license plate yesterday. Had to drill new holes in the backing plate to install it. AZ plates are tiny compared to that huge tail light housing/plate mount. I think I'm going to paint the backing plate yellow to give it a more European look, as their plates seem to be yellow. I've already decided to get the plate that mounts on the front fender.

I've already ran into an insurance issue. Turns out full coverage was going to cost $460+ a year, while minimum liability is only $93 a year. And that is on a low performance bike now probably worth around $3500, and with a $1000 deductible. I could insure a GSX-R 1000 for that. I immediately canceled the comp and collision when I found out. And this is a company I have been insured with for over 20 years, have 5 bikes insured with them, I am 55, with a perfect record and have been a licensed rider since age 16.  I have it financed with Sheffield, and if they complain, I'll just pay it off. Anyone planning on financing a RE might want to check the insurance rates first. If you don't have the ability to pay off the loan, you could get stuck paying outrageous insurance rates.

I think I will try and hit 300 miles tomorrow, and do an oil change. Oil still looks clean, and I've been watching everything else as well.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #29 on: March 15, 2014, 03:07:11 am

I've already ran into an insurance issue. Turns out full coverage was going to cost $460+ a year, while minimum liability is only $93 a year. And that is on a low performance bike now probably worth around $3500, and with a $1000 deductible. I could insure a GSX-R 1000 for that. I immediately canceled the comp and collision when I found out. And this is a company I have been insured with for over 20 years, have 5 bikes insured with them, I am 55, with a perfect record and have been a licensed rider since age 16.  I have it financed with Sheffield, and if they complain, I'll just pay it off. Anyone planning on financing a RE might want to check the insurance rates first. If you don't have the ability to pay off the loan, you could get stuck paying outrageous insurance rates.

CHECK OUT MARKEL INSURANCE.  I have full coverage + road service, on my G5 Deluxe for only  $168. a year. I am pleased with them. Cheers!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure