Author Topic: 2013 B5 thread  (Read 10552 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 10, 2014, 08:50:24 pm
Rather than starting a new thread for everything, I thought I would put everything here. Most of it should apply to all the UCE bikes.

I have 127 miles on it so far, taking my time about breaking it in. So far I have noticed the following. The front brake squeals loudly. I'm wondering if the pads got contaminated somehow. The header pipe is badly discolored near the 02 sensor. I'm assuming it is a single wall pipe. If this is normal, it's not a problem. My old '66 Bonneville did the same thing. I just wondered if this could be a sign of overheating. The engine does not seem to get really hot, I can put my hand on the valve cover while riding and not get burned. The shifting is very vague and a bit notchy (compared to a modern Japanese bike) I've hit several false neutrals. It is not clunky however. Maybe I just need more practice with it.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

azcatfan

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 09:24:43 pm
The shifting you can overcome by leaving pressure on the shifter as you release the clutch.  Once the clutch is released let the shifter move back to reset for the next shift.  Even on my old 4-Speed sloppy left side shift this works and I haven't had a false neutral in months.

I'll let everyone else close in on the blueing, but sounds normal to me if it is isolated to right near the head.

Brakes shouldn't be noisy, IMO, not when new...
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 09:26:01 pm
If you mean that shifting must be a well thought action executed with painful accuresse you're right. That is one of the characteristics.
The coloration is another one. If you retain the oem muffler with catalisator then there will be another one directly behind it. It will get very hot there with spirited riding after leaving break-in period.
I use a chrome polisch to minimise the blueing but I'm not dedicated to remove them, I quite like the grading. Apparantly the best product is Restom ABC4020, produced by Mathys Quality Equipment.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #3 on: March 10, 2014, 09:43:36 pm
You get used to the shifting. People say "It gets better as the bike breaks in," but to be honest I'm not sure it really has for me, I've just gotten more deliberate and precise. It's not like a Japanese bike, where you always know exactly what will happen when you move your foot up or down.

The RE is a bike where you have to learn its quirks and then live with them. It was my first motorcycle so I think of that as normal, and then when I ride a more precise bike (such as, even, my 101cc SYM Symba, which is practically a scooter) I'm amazed at how different the experience is. But not better, just different.
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #4 on: March 10, 2014, 09:49:20 pm
........I have 127 miles on it so far, .........
The front brake squeals loudly.......
The header pipe is badly discolored near the 02 sensor. ......
The engine does not seem to get really hot,......
The shifting is very vague and a bit notchy ......

teething pains.
clean your brake with some spray.
the pipe will continue to blue well past the first bend.
the engine was designed to haul a family of nine around the Indian continent on sub-standard petrol.  It runs cool in North America.
shifting gets better with miles of burnishing the gears.

Your first oil change will be hilarious !
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 10, 2014, 09:57:12 pm
All true Gremlin. My pipe is getting a nice gold tinge (EFI, no baffles) and shifting is great. Not as good as my old RT1 Yamaha but few are. What i really like is the ratio spread coming from a 4spd grease box  ;D ;D ;D. The worse thing so far is having it down for 5 months whilst this stinking winter rolls on.
Robert & the GREen B.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #6 on: March 10, 2014, 10:04:09 pm
I think the RE UCE's shifting does get better as the engine/transmission break in but it never lets you forget it's a RE.  That is, shifting has to be done with a firm full stroke of the shift lever.  It's not at all like the short click, click, click of going thru the gears on a Japanese motorcycle.

Likewise, the kick starter needs a full, all the way thru, stout stroke to get the engine started.  A little half assed partial stroke of the lever won't get the job done.

It's all part of owning a piece of history with close ties to its roots. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Catbird

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: March 10, 2014, 10:40:57 pm
Regarding the Royal Enfield's shifting quirks, I decided to remove the stock shift lever and replace it with a heel/toe shift lever to improve the "in" and "out" of gear feel.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally prefer it on my C5 Military.
1972 Honda CB350 twin - sold
1976 Honda GL1000 Goldwing - sold
1996 BMW R1100RT - sold
2005 BMW R1200RT - sold
2011 Vespa GTS 300
2013 Royal Enfield C5 Military
2014 Honda CTX700N DCT
2014 Honda CB1100

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #8 on: March 10, 2014, 11:15:39 pm
+x on the false neutrals. They get better over time. Haven't had one in the last few hundred miles on my bike.

The thing that worried me the most was when she straight up fell out of gear. Like I was cruising along in 4th, and all of the sudden - nope!

That first oil change is hilarious too. Get a load of all the gunk that comes out of it...
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: March 11, 2014, 01:00:48 am
I just found out these engines have a plastic oil pump gear. Anyone ever have one break? It was a broken plastic oil pump gear that destroyed the engine in my '96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 classic. 
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #10 on: March 11, 2014, 01:50:20 am
If you mean that shifting must be a well thought action executed with painful accuresse you're right. That is one of the characteristics.
The coloration is another one. If you retain the oem muffler with catalisator then there will be another one directly behind it. It will get very hot there with spirited riding after leaving break-in period.
I use a chrome polisch to minimise the blueing but I'm not dedicated to remove them, I quite like the grading. Apparantly the best product is Restom ABC4020, produced by Mathys Quality Equipment.
I have been pleasantly surprised to find much less blueing than I'm traditionally accustomed to, with my Non-standard, Non-cat, tulip end Cocktail Shaker silencer.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 11, 2014, 02:17:12 am
I just found out these engines have a plastic oil pump gear. Anyone ever have one break? It was a broken plastic oil pump gear that destroyed the engine in my '96 Kawasaki Vulcan 1500 classic.
So far I can't recall even one report of the oil pump breaking.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #12 on: March 11, 2014, 02:19:20 am
So far I can't recall even one report of the oil pump breaking.

Heart was racing for a minute there...
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 11, 2014, 02:40:39 am

I'm assuming it is a single wall pipe.

Double wall head pipe.... actually a pipe within a pipe, with an expansion chamber between the two.

An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #14 on: March 11, 2014, 06:01:14 pm
Regarding the Royal Enfield's shifting quirks, I decided to remove the stock shift lever and replace it with a heel/toe shift lever to improve the "in" and "out" of gear feel.  It may not be everyone's cup of tea, but I personally prefer it on my C5 Military.
+1
The heel shifter works great for me on my C5 ....loved it since I've put it on....
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011