Author Topic: 2013 B5 thread  (Read 10559 times)

lemming

• Grease Monkey
  • Weezin' the Ju-uice
Reply #45 on: July 14, 2014, 05:17:13 pm
Hey suitcase,

On the shifting, have you checked your clutch cable? Mine was all stretched out and had too much play, was having all sorts of false neutrals and shifting problems. Tightened up the slack, now it shifts beautifully.
"I know you believe you understand what you think I said, but I am not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant"

2011 B5 Black - "Tonks" - My first bike. Gone, but fondly remembered.
2010 Harley Iron 883 1200 conversion - work in progress
1998 Yamaha YZF600R - streetfighter Mad Max

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
  • I am like....no big deal!
Reply #46 on: July 14, 2014, 06:57:17 pm
Ok guys, i had the first oil change done today at my dealer's service center. The Odo reading stood at a touch over 300 miles. First of all let me tell you that these so called service centers are a joke. Not one mechanic is knowledgeable :(...i guess the only thing they know to do is an oil/filter change. I had a few things i was hoping to get fixed but none were done to my satisfaction...i guess one needs to just admit the various misalignments on a RE as FATE and live them...anyway, he just removed one (main) drain nut/plug to drain the oil and tilted the bike both ways to get as much oil as he could..i am not sure if that was the right way. The oil filter was changed and the oil stainer filter? just got a high pressure blow of air and went back in its place. I did not find any nasty looking metal filings on the filter...don't know if that is a good thing or a bad thing...some pics i took
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #47 on: July 14, 2014, 07:19:46 pm
Subbu-500,
I did my first oil change myself at 600 miles and everything looked the same as in your attached pics.
I had no metal shavings on the mesh filter from under the bike and the oil was as dark colored as yours. So it seems like you're doing fine... :D
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #48 on: July 14, 2014, 07:31:48 pm
isn't 600 miles a bit too late for the 1st oil/filter change? or is that the prescribed interval for EFI engines? And i want to know if removing that main drain plug was enough to get rid of all the old oil...Arizoni had mentioned on another thread that there are three such drain nuts/plugs on the underside of the engine...
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: July 14, 2014, 09:23:38 pm
There are three drains under the engine, one near the rear of the case which is the oil reservoir, one with two bolts at the forward, right side of the flat bottom part. This has a screen in it that need to be cleaned that is for the return oil pump, and another plug under the crankshaft that drains the crankcase. Then the regular filter cap on the upper side of the right crankcase, three bolts usually. I think C5s only have two. Be careful with the small bolts. They can be broken with overtorquing.
Bare
Bare 
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #50 on: July 14, 2014, 09:40:57 pm
Thank you Barenekd. As the guy did not remove/loosen the crank case plug, how harmful is it? I would assume there is no point in taking it back to them now as any residual oil would have mixed with the fresh oil.
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #51 on: July 14, 2014, 10:18:47 pm
Did all the 2013's get the second drain plug?

Subbu, if you do have two plugs, and the mechanic removed the plug furthest back, just in front of the center-stand hinge, then I'd say you're probably just fine, since many of us only have that one drain plug anyway.  Just a guess...

In your oil-draining pic, it sure looks like that oil is streaming from the opening that holds the screen.  And if the drain pan hasn't been moved, the oil runs on the side of the pan look like they're where the rear plug would be.

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #52 on: July 14, 2014, 10:57:37 pm
Thank you Mattsz :)
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #53 on: July 15, 2014, 02:19:17 am
I agree with Mattsz.
Getting the oil out of the crankcase with the forward drain plug is nice but not absolutely necessary.  Most of us don't even have that drain plug and our RE's are doing fine.

The mechanic did remove the oil filter and the oil pump inlet screen and these are the most important things at this oil change.

As for the mechanics knowledge, people reading this post need to know that Subbu-500 lives in India and he is talking about the mechanics there.

Ya.  I know.  We have some similar poor mechanics here in the USA but in fairness to the motorcycle mechanics in our country I think it's important to make the distinction.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Subbu-500

• Bulleteer
Reply #54 on: July 17, 2014, 09:03:12 pm
Absolutely Arizoni. I am sorry i should have made that clear on my post. Well i must admit that there are a lot of really good mechanics here too but they  all operate independently and usually from the old school to whom the iron barrel was the true bullet and the UCE is not a RE at all. However, they are still far better than the ones at RE authorized service stations. No college, no degree in mechanical engineering...everything learnt the hard way over decades of hands on experience passed on from one generation to the next... :) the problem is, i cant go to them until the one year manufacturer warranty applies..
Subbu
2019 Interceptor
2014 B5(Carb)