Author Topic: Tire reviews  (Read 1230 times)

MotoMike

• Scooter
on: July 17, 2014, 02:00:03 pm
I'm planning to take a weekend trip upwards of 1000+miles. I'm almost finished running it in at 600mi. I have a new 2012 G5 with stock Avon speedmasters. I'm thinking of changing the tires for the trip for better reliability and handling. Any suggestions?
Never trade the thrills of living for the security of existence.
'12 Bullet G5 Deluxe

2bikebill

• Grand Gearhead
  • ~ it's about the ride ~
Reply #1 on: July 17, 2014, 02:47:23 pm
Avon AM26 Roadriders are what I've used for the last 13,000 miles. Very sticky at all angles wet or dry, and a revelation in handling after those stock horrors. They do wear pretty fast - I get about 3500 miles from the rear, a lot more from the front.
A lot of folk here like Dunlop K70s, they do look more in keeping with an old style bike and reportedly also have good grip but also wear fast. I'm going to try them next time out of curiosity
On my W650 I have Bridgestone BT45s - fantastic grip & handling and longer wearing. I'd have them on the Enfield but can't get the right sizes in UK. You might find the right sizes in USA - I think Ducati Scotty uses them, but on a C5. BT45 would be my first choice. AM26 perform equally well, but just wear faster. Both these tyres will let you corner hard and fast - but neither likes grass or gravel....  :o
« Last Edit: July 17, 2014, 02:59:30 pm by WillW »
2009 Royal Enfield Electra (G5)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #2 on: July 17, 2014, 06:47:39 pm
The BT45s are a great tire.  Better feel, traction, and handling than the Avon AM26s that came on the bike, especially at high lean angles.  I don't think you can get them in 19" sizes for the G5.

What are the stock G5 tire sizes?  Something to consider would be the new Continental Classic Attack if you can get them in appropriate sizes for the bike.  These are tires designed by Conti in vintage sizes but they're radials, not bias ply.  Radials are far more flexible and generally handle better than bias ply tires.

Barenekd had some Pirelli Sport Demons on his G5 and loved them, and he rode very hard.

For me, I usually look for a sport touring tire with good wet weather characteristics since I live in the Pacific Northwest.  The BT45 was what I could get in the right sizes for my bike but I really like sport touring tires from Michelin.  They wear well and predictably, have good dry weather traction, and amazing wet weather traction.  If you can get a set of Michelins that fit I say go for it.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: July 17, 2014, 07:20:54 pm
I really like the Shinko 705s.  Great wear and excellent handling on any surface from wet pavement to dirt trails.  They just kick ass all over.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #4 on: July 17, 2014, 07:23:34 pm
I always wondered about those large clock dual sport tires, seemed like they'd be the best compromise and wondered why I haven't seen them more on dual sport bikes.  Thanks for the info Scottie.

NorthernMonkey

• Scooter
Reply #5 on: July 17, 2014, 09:01:33 pm
AM26s if you're always going to be on the road. Totally hopeless on anything other than asphalt though.

Plenty sticky enough to rub the footrests along the road.