Members Rides

Clutch cable fix

Members Rides

NField Gear

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
October 08, 2015, 01:37:14 pm

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Muffler Suggestions & Sources  (Read 685 times)

• Neophyte
Muffler Suggestions & Sources
« on: March 10, 2014, 10:20:24 am »
I am considering muffler options for my 06' Electra. I presently have a megaphone style muffler with very little baffling. Other modifications include a Mikuni 32mm carb with foam air filter, BW's cams, and restrictions removed from header pipe. The megaphone has quite a loud bark and I may just add additional baffling to reduce the volume.

I've also been eyeing the Goldstar style exhaust system from Nfield Gear, but I really don't need an entire new system. Hitchcock's advertises just the Goldstar muffler, but then shipping costs apply.

I am wondering what others might be using and/or if anyone can recommend a stateside source for a Goldstar style muffler that could be adapted to the Enfield. Anyone using the Goldstar style system wish to comment? Spring is nearly here!
Bill N.

• Grand Gearhead
Re: Muffler Suggestions & Sources
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2014, 12:52:54 pm »
The EFI muffler works very well and is fairly cheap. It should work fine on the Electra. NFG has them.
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2002 Bullet ES
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2014, 01:00:39 pm »
Emgo shorty and cocktail shakers seam to be popular and are relatively inexpensive.  Loads of them on Ebay or direct for JCWhitney..
-2002 Bullet ES Up-Jetted with Ace Air Canister and punched HD Exhaust.

My MotoVlog Channel:  http://tinyurl.com/nnso3av

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2014, 02:45:17 pm »
I have an EMGO Megaphone from NField gear that is mega-loud.  It was great in the city - better than my horn - but I'm going to work on quieting it up too.  Those Goldstars do have a nice smooth sound though. 

In my opinion, the goldstar header itself is a nicer shape than the avl stock header.  The goldstar has a nice angle that matches the frame, where as the stock one curves back.  It's just a matter of taste but I was happy with that choice.  You can see it here in this old pic of my bike before a bunch of other changes:

One thing is that the goldstar header is a bit too small for the AVL port so I put some hi-temp aluminum tape around to widen it and then I used some permatex to seal it up.

2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2014, 11:56:06 am »
Found the Emgo 2013 muffler catalog.  It has some very nice looking options, including a Goldstar style.  Havent looked into where to order one as of yet.  I like the looks of the 'cafe' and 'Roadhawk', on page 3:

Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

• Grand Gearhead
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:59:48 pm »
Cone engineering for great stainless mufflers, including a quiet-core megaphone.

Www.coneeng.com IIRC.