Author Topic: Weak point of iron bullet ? ?  (Read 10646 times)

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Scooter
  • 08 Military
Reply #30 on: July 14, 2008, 10:38:16 pm
Hot in India? The weather heat is not the problem it's the engine heat. In India there not going as fast as us in the states(we have more open rodes) And they go by kpm not mph. 
     More oil flow or a oil cooler would help alot . the cooler the engine the better it will run.
      I'm wondering if i could just use the drain plug  and put a tee fitting on it. Run a line from the tee to a oil cooler and the other end to the pump hosing and tap a 1/4 fitting into it.    It might work? I'm no engineer but that would give it the pressure and cool oil from the pump and put it right back into the sump.
Bobblehead76

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #31 on: July 15, 2008, 10:41:36 am
Hot in India? The weather heat is not the problem it's the engine heat. In India there not going as fast as us in the states(we have more open rodes) And they go by kpm not mph. 
Huh???   you would have a lot harder time over heating a Bullet in the dead of winter in Michigan...      I've  had a temperature gauge on my oil tank for years now and I can tell you this-  normal oil temperature in the tank will be twice the outside air temperature.
EXAMPLE-
if it is 70 out; the tank temp will run 140...
if it is 90 out; the tank temp will run 180...
   I have never seen 200 or higher which means It doesn't get to 100 degrees here in Illinois very often.

KPH...   you may be onto something...  I'm going to get one of those SMITHs english
speedos that read in KPH...  it will have the look I want and my bike will run cooler...
    just thinking out loud...  Mike in central Illinois
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #32 on: July 15, 2008, 04:10:04 pm
The KPH cooling factor, ahhhh, now I understand. Perhaps it is correlation and not causation, because if you look down at your speedometer as the wind blows across your face and the light poles are a blur as you go by and you see 100 KPH you say to yourself, "mate, I'm really going fast now, I better watch the heat"!  Next, switch scenes to riding the same road, same speed on a bike with a speedo (and I mean the speed indicator and not the skimpy bathing suit) that reads in MPH and you see 60 mph...well, it's just not the same...you don't have that sensation of speed (and the corresponding heat) as you do with 100KPH.  Consequently,  your bike runs cooler in KPH because your real speed is lower but your relative speed is greater and you are aware of the heat being generated, sort of like Einstein's theory of relativity.   ???  ;D  Have a good day mate...and don't generate too much heat until you get that speedometer calibrated in kilos...now where is my Hitchcock's catalogue?
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

deeess42

• Neophyte
Reply #33 on: July 16, 2008, 12:22:46 pm
Hope you don't mind me jumping in from the other side of the Atlantic. London rider, here. Have been looking seriously at a Bullet 500 and was following the conversation with interest. Don't need the speed, but just wondered if the bike is good for that 65 with two-up?

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #34 on: July 16, 2008, 01:09:55 pm
65kph sure, mph no.

Hope you don't mind me jumping in from the other side of the Atlantic. London rider, here. Have been looking seriously at a Bullet 500 and was following the conversation with interest. Don't need the speed, but just wondered if the bike is good for that 65 with two-up?
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #35 on: July 16, 2008, 09:37:58 pm
Can't speak for the 500 but my '77 350 would hold 45-55 mph two -up with
camping gear presumably the 500 should do a little better. To get the best out
of the stock bike it's my feeling that one needs to modify the state of tune to
approximately that of the Redditch 59-62 models this would put the 350
up to the standard of the current iron 500 and the 500 on par with the Electra.

It's also wise to remember that nothing will go as well with a 16 stone slob
on it as it does with one of those skinny guys. Anything that I ride is effectively
two-up!

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Scooter
  • 08 Military
Reply #36 on: July 17, 2008, 10:12:43 pm
I did a two up with my bike on a 84 mile round trip and most of my trip was 55 to 60 mph. and i had no problems at all.

I hope that helped you out.
Bobblehead76

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: July 17, 2008, 10:28:30 pm
It'll go as fast on the average level road with two riders as with one.  It'll load up more on hills obviously.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter