Author Topic: Weak point of iron bullet ? ?  (Read 10644 times)

Bankerdanny

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: July 10, 2008, 10:11:43 pm
Nope.

the 5-speed shifter is a direct connection and the shaft runs through a tunnel in the crankcase rather than the multi piece adapter setup used on the 4-speed model.

To put a 5-speed on a 4-speed bike you have to convert to right hand shift. CMW sells the kit.

I wanted to convert mine, I even bought a transmission. I didn't find out it wasn't a bolt on change until after I had the tranny.
Endeavor To Persevere

Current: '75 Honda CB550F, '76 Honda CB750F. Previous:  2007 Yamaha Vino 125, '75 Harley FXE Superglide, '77 GL1000 Goldwing, '77 Honda CB550K, '02 Royal Enfield Bullet 500ES, '68 Suzuki K11, '68 Yamaha YR2, '69 BMW R69S, '71 Honda SL175

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #16 on: July 10, 2008, 10:16:34 pm
Bankerdenny is right. It can be done, but it is a difficult job that is not worth it economically.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: July 10, 2008, 10:22:59 pm
Now you've got me worried. My dealer is over an hour away at best (between 55 and 65 mph). While I don't do this regularly, it will sometimes be necessary. Even my regular day to day rides usually involve a 15 to 25 minute parkway stint. No ill effects so far. At almost 2000 miles now the bike acts more willing than ever. Crisp throttle in all ranges, strong and steady "heartbeat" at idle and the shifting (up especially) is buttery smooth. Down is still kinda clunky. Now, in light of this latest thread, I'm wondering if perhaps I'm becoming complacent. If maybe that header pipe which at a thousand miles was a lovely shade of straw and which is lately acquiring a bluish undertone, is trying to tell me something. :-\
Ace "Fireball"#10 (Beefy the Bullet to her friends.)
 "Featherbed" frame by Rofomoto.

2017 Triumph T120

Kevin Mahoney

• Gotten my hands dirty on bikes more than once -
  • Global Moderator
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Cozy Sidecar distributor/former Royal Enfield dist
Reply #18 on: July 10, 2008, 10:26:11 pm
there is a big difference between "Parkway" riding and "Freeway" riding. Your riding is fine. 70 plus routinely  is a bad idea.
Best Regards,
Kevin Mahoney
www.cyclesidecar.com

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: July 10, 2008, 10:33:38 pm
there is a big difference between "Parkway" riding and "Freeway" riding. Your riding is fine. 70 plus routinely  is a bad idea.
Thanks, Kevin. I feel much, much better now. :D.  Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: July 11, 2008, 01:42:04 am
I'm wondering if perhaps I'm becoming complacent. If maybe that header pipe which at a thousand miles was a lovely shade of straw and which is lately acquiring a bluish undertone, is trying to tell me something. :-\

My header pipe coloring is the same and with more miles than yours.  The straw doesn't reach the first bend of the pipe.  There is a slight bluish tint swirled into it.

I don't think I'd worry about if it's running great and the plug reading is O.K.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

Chuck D

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: July 11, 2008, 02:06:32 am

My header pipe coloring is the same and with more miles than yours.  The straw doesn't reach the first bend of the pipe.  There is a slight bluish tint swirled into it.

I don't think I'd worry about if it's running great and the plug reading is O.K.
 Glad to hear that Foggy. Yeah although I haven't done a proper "plug chop", I do frequently take the plug out and examine. It's still wearing the same sandy ash color at the electrode and the insulator that it acquired soon after installation. Thanks again for the feedback.    Chuck.

2017 Triumph T120

jonapplegate

• Grand Gearhead
  • you stand tall when you stoop to help
Reply #22 on: July 12, 2008, 06:02:32 am
Now I didn't recheck this before replying but I seem to recall that the final ratio on the four speed is the same as the five,  but there is a large split between 3rd and fourth on the four. Is that correct?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: July 12, 2008, 01:14:24 pm
Yes siree bob.

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #24 on: July 13, 2008, 03:08:40 pm
 ???    HEAT, HEAT,HEAT!  Yes it is the enemy, I know I live in Florida.  I have asked about this problem before regarding an oil cooler.  I was assured that the iron Bullet does not normally have issues with heat under normal operating conditions.  Suggestions were more oil capacity, yet more oil will still reach the temp eventually.  High volume oil pump.  Doesnt that just "squirt" hot oil faster?  For an engine of this period design does not an oil cooler make sence?  For normal riding conditions this would seem to offer longevity and for those of us who ride a little more aggresivily a little more peace of mind.   I guess were I am going with this (Kevin!) is how about offering a bolt on oil cooler kit.  The catalog is jammed paked with goodies yet this seem like a very important missing link.  Its hard not to want to ride a little faster after one has added the continental kit, after market exhaust and milled, port and polished the head. 

northshore_paul

• Bulleteer
  • Remember...all roads come to an end mon ami.
Reply #25 on: July 13, 2008, 06:43:35 pm
As to SEWERMAN's post, I say, ditto, right on brother!!  ;D
'01 Kawasaki W650
'06 Suzuki Burgman 400
'03 Bullet Classic gone to a new home
'84 BMW R100 gone to a new home
'94 Honda PC800 gone to a new home

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: July 13, 2008, 06:56:33 pm
Always use name brand 20w-50 motorcycle oil.

I think the only weak point in the iron engine is the crankcase breathing system.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

bobblehead76

• rider in north carolina
  • Scooter
  • 08 Military
Reply #27 on: July 13, 2008, 11:41:59 pm
An oil cooler does sound like a good idea, but how would it hook to the oil system without taking away the pressure that is needed to get the oil up to the head?
Bobblehead76

sewerman

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: July 14, 2008, 12:41:31 pm
Bubblehead, don't know the answer to this one but I have seen them on racing Bullets at Daytona and Mid Ohio so it must be do able.  Is this were a high volume oil pump should come into play?  Seems we hijacked this post but to me this is important stuff for all us Bulletteers.   Anyone done this already, with pictures? :-[

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #29 on: July 14, 2008, 01:54:14 pm
Is it hot in india?  If after 50 plus years in continuous production, this design has not proven itself, there is no hope.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.