Author Topic: Old Bullet Drawing  (Read 1375 times)

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
on: March 09, 2014, 04:27:18 am
While going thru my old books I came across a booklet entitled "FIFTY YEARS OF MOTORCYCLES, No. 2".
It was published by Phoebus Publishing Company/BPC Publishing Ltd, London in 1958.

Looking thru it I saw a drawing that I feel will be of interest to you Royal Enfield owners.

On page 10 and 11 is shown a 1932-33 Bullet 500 with its then popular sloped single cylinder engine broken away so the internals can be seen.

The large oil reserve is at the front of the engine and one of its 4 valves show clearly.

At the top of the cylinder is what appears to be a lever for decompression.
On the front fork about even with the bottom of the headlight is a tension adjustment for the spring in the damper.

Enjoy. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 02:43:21 pm
We could make a 4-valve head for the modern Bullet, if we thought that there were enough people who wanted one.
I have thought about doing it, but it's an expensive project and I'd need to be able to recoup the costs.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 10:38:41 pm
I think a lot of people today think of the 4 valve head and single and double overhead camshafts as modern ideas.

What they don't realize is these designs were quite common following WW I and were used on some racing engines even before 1915.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary