Author Topic: MY Continenta GT Test Ride .... Photos  (Read 13234 times)

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 14, 2014, 07:55:00 am
just gotta say since purchasing the bike a week or so ago i've made plenty of good and quite a few poor gear changes...........to date not one false neutral.not even close to anything which appears like one.
without doubt this gearbox is by far the best when compared to my previous enfields. i'm not sure if it has anything to do with the rod from the changer to the gearshifter -but what-ever it is it just clicks into gear beautifully up or down.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 14, 2014, 08:22:54 am
mate i hope you like the bike! im just so confused why you choose to van it home through some of the best riding in the country.?  especially after waiting for it for soooo long!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2014, 08:26:10 am by Sectorsteve »

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 15, 2014, 01:44:42 am
probably feel too old and tired to ride it. lol have not been on it for 4 days

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 06:43:19 am
my experience to date. by far this is the worst royal en field Ive ever had to start from cold. what was once a very easy task on the cor b5 is not the case with the gt.
the motor cranking is slower and even using the en richer it still takes its time to kick.
I'd read about this problem on the internet during various road tests by motorcycle magazines worldwide. several complained about the problem and it;s still there. some mentioned maybe a mapping issue.
all 3 of my c and b5's were very quick to start ...say 8 or 9 out of 10.
the cafe racer .....I'd say a 3 or 4 if lucky. problem only occur rs during first start up from cold after that fine. it;s a pity this could not have been sorted out prior to the official release of the bikes.
apart from that it rides well. so far the only real flaw!

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 10:57:40 am
Hmm.

Try kicking over the bike (kickstarter) a few times with ignition off before you use the e-start.

If you're already kicking over the bike to prime it up, you might as well just use the kickstarter to start it up. It's very easy! After you've kicked it over a few times with ignition off, take it just past TDC, turn ignition on and all you need is a swift kick till the end of its travel. Try it a few times and you'll be the master of it in no time.  :)

Is the stock battery on the Conti smaller in size as compared to C5/B5?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:59:50 am by JVS »
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 04:33:29 pm
I had a few unoccupied hours in the middle of the day while vacationing in north India. I drove over to the local RE dealership where I was greeted by a very pleasing sight, two GT's , a couple of C5's and two green B5's. I asked if I could test ride the GT, and was allowed.

The GT is certainly a whole lot better than my CI bullet vis-a-vis fit and finish. Yes, the unsightly welds are there but things like that are the exception. The paint quality is much improved but less glossy than the picture of the pre production bike.

The fender extenders are an eye sore but can come off easily. The bar end mirrors are accessories....very well made....if I bought a GT I would certainly get the mirrors even before I trailer it home. The mickey mouse mirrors are horrendous.

The demo had the generic muffler but another one on the floor had the sports muffler. It sounds louder and with a deeper bass than the other but neither sounds like my CI (pre or post ACE mods), and for that matter mine sounds a lot different now after the ACE mods.....I think its the cams and the aluminum barrel....but I digress....The demo also had the dual seat with the cowl, also very well made.

I was only allowed a very brief test ride. It started on third kick....I was told I was not kicking it hard enough (I disagree if the strength of the kick makes a difference....but....)

Once started the idle was steady albeit set a little slow (typical Indian setup). The dealership staff kept referring to it as a sports bike....anyhow it accelerates very well in 1st gear. I was on a crowded road but i tried my best to rev it up and go through the gears weaving out of way from incoming traffic. The steering was heavier than my CI bike and it showed great straight line stability, cornering ability and leaning at curves. Braking was excellent. Suspension was firm but reliable and provided for confidence in leans and corners.   
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:12:24 pm by 1 Thump »

1 Thump

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 04:35:26 pm
Here is the sports muffler. Sounds louder than stock for sure.

Added: Also checked out most of the clothing, helmets, gloves, jackets etc. The stuff is top notch but sizing remains an issue. I typically wear a 'large' size shirt/jacket etc. but could only fit into 2XL. The pricing was just right. A T shirt was Rs. 999, roughly $15 ....armored jacket was Rs. 7000 (under $120). The jacket did not have a strap to tighten at the wrist...The polo/T shirts were very very good, excellent fabric, design and stitching.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 04:30:10 am by 1 Thump »

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 19, 2014, 01:22:34 am
my experience to date. by far this is the worst royal en field Ive ever had to start from cold.
Wildbill,
Check your fuel hose to make sure it isn't partially kinked under the gas tank........low pressure could be contributing to a poor starting, but once it fires it keeps going.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 19, 2014, 01:45:31 am
Mine starts fine just like my old C5...I agree with the suggestion of checking your fuel line
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #39 on: March 19, 2014, 05:02:26 am
Good idea.
We already know that fuel hose can get kinked and keep a GT from starting.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 19, 2014, 11:53:30 am
fine -will look into it tomorrow. i already asked the dealer prior to the pickup to check it. but that doesn't mean they did  ::)
regards

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 19, 2014, 07:08:15 pm
Just a thought Wildbill, my B5 requires a slight cracking open of the throttle + the Bi-starter to start/run when cold.
Roverman.

Warwick

• Grease Monkey
Reply #42 on: March 21, 2014, 11:38:22 pm
Wow. You must be unhappy with it Wild bill. Its on ebay already :o
2007 Bullet, 1999 Lightning, 2010 Honda VFR1200f, 2019 Interceptor, 2007 Kwaka GPX250R

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #43 on: March 22, 2014, 12:07:57 am
Its on ebay already :o

I noticed that too  :o

Must be some other reason..
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

DaveTheYank

• Scooter
Reply #44 on: March 22, 2014, 12:17:25 pm
I'm keeping mine!