Author Topic: MY Continenta GT Test Ride .... Photos  (Read 13181 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:09 am
The wiring harness looks very tidy.  If you have a center stand my guess is you should put it on that to use the kicker while you're next to the bike.  Guess they had to clear the footpegs.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #16 on: March 08, 2014, 03:17:10 pm
Wow, does that metallic engine casing look better than the grey-painted ones!  What a serious visual upgrade it would be, to strip that grey paint of my engine!

Is it bare metal, or clear-coated metal, or a paint that looks like metal?

And, while we're on the subject... are the shiny engine side covers just polished, or do they have a clear coating on them?  I'm talking the UCE's in general now, not just the Conti...

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 08, 2014, 09:50:34 pm
Mine's from 2010, the build difference is night vs day.  8)
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 08, 2014, 10:19:24 pm
Notice any difference in vibration?
I do like that new head steady!
The kick starter looks like the one on my GB500!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 08, 2014, 11:25:22 pm
bare
vibration is totally different to what i have experience of the c5's. that big was more of a high vibration buzz when this one is some-what lower down in the range although i have not exceeded 3000 rpm i will take more notice on the next ride

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: March 09, 2014, 03:25:27 pm
I, too, like the new Head Steady. The overall build quality looks very improved, but now I wonder about the kick start. Since it has to clear the peg and muffler, did they angle the end enough to prevent your foot from sliding off during a kick?
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

birdmove

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: March 09, 2014, 10:12:11 pm
  Wow!! Very great looking motorcycle there! Thanks for the writeup.
Jon in Keaau, Hawaii

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 12:28:36 pm
well to date Ive done about 150 miles or 250 kl on the bike so he res a bit more info.
1. these GTE's don't appear to start as quick as the other models in the royal en field range like the c5 or b5. nothing new though. I'd watch this deli ma on several you tube videos. for some reason or another it appears to take a bit longer and slower cranking before your firing it up.
2.  the standard mirrors which come with the bike are fine to 40 mph but at 50 mph the vibes set in at around 2700 rpm and you can't see much behind you at all. today i thought i had 3 cars behind me and after the first car passed I'd slowed a bit ...looked into the right rear view and no more cars. left mirror worse still. where the actual mirror sits on the extension stalk - it continuously droops - the mirror Lil
3. ride comfort is pretty good and relaxed. hate to say it and even i find it hard to believe  it's better than the b or c5. today while running across any bumps or dips in the road which had previously lifted me off the c5's solo seat - i just ran over them drama free.
the solo seat comfort wise is the best I've sat on in all my 3 previous royal en field bikes.  this too i find hard to believe but its true.
4. bike tracks corners very very well. i don't by any means class myself as a good rider but saying that it swings right/left bends with ease. so the boy racers will get a kick out of it.
riding position is fine and although i have felt pressure on my wrists it's both shoulders which appear to be taking the damage. twice I've got off the bike after a 30 mile run and hours later shoulders start aching and this goes on for several hours.
better mention too at 50 mph the vibration sent my hands partly to sleep. saying that this vibration was not as severe though as on my very first c5- that one was a real pita.
i did near the very end of to days ride run it for a minute or so at 60 mph - vibration here was very well controlled and nowhere near the same as 50 mph - i could also see out the mirrors. that was a bonus

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 10, 2014, 03:03:22 pm
Gorgeous bike. I'm surprised by how high the handlebars seem to be, but I doubt I would be comfortable on it. I have arthritis, bad knees, and bad shoulders. I tried to ride a Japanese sport bike, and only made it a few miles till I was in serious pain. The GT doesn't look nearly as extreme, but I find the standard riding position on the B5 to be quite comfortable. Any bike that makes me lean forward and put my upper body weight on my arms and shoulders causes pain fairly quickly, and having my knees bent back to far causes pain and numbness. It's great that you can enjoy riding such a nice bike. This may be the bike that gets more younger riders into Royal Enfield. It's not a Suzuki GSX-R, but I have heard many positive comments about it from riders of such bikes.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 11, 2014, 12:25:30 am
leg position is really pretty good. sometimes you have to look to position them correctly. its the shoulder area which takes the strain for me.

word of caution here
after riding the bike yesterday i got of and gave it a 5 minute break. got old of the handlebars then flicked in the sidestand. threw my leg over the bike -ouch! wtf!
i hit the exhaust heat shied and got a minor burn just above the right ankle.
future owners should keep this in mind as it have been reported on pre- release road tests and that was with the higher sports exhaust. - anyway i got mine lol.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #25 on: March 11, 2014, 01:58:50 am

word of caution here
after riding the bike yesterday i got of and gave it a 5 minute break. got old of the handlebars then flicked in the sidestand. threw my leg over the bike -ouch! wtf!
i hit the exhaust heat shied and got a minor burn just above the right ankle.
future owners should keep this in mind as it have been reported on pre- release road tests and that was with the higher sports exhaust. - anyway i got mine lol.
WOW, Did it burn you through your BOOT?  I noticed from the Conti pix, that the muffler is so fat, it does stick out quite a bit. If you find the right non-standard, non-cat replacement, you can snug it in a lot better. You could also buy some woven silver heat insulation tape, & apply a couple of layers to the underside of your heat shield. I rarely ride without BOOTS for numerous reasons.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 11, 2014, 02:12:41 am
WildBill, have you tried adjusting the angle of the levers on the handlebars? I found mine were a bit high and rotated them down a bit. I hope this will help some with the wrist/arm positioning....guess I'll find out on my next ride
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #27 on: March 11, 2014, 04:01:16 am
dginfw

thanks might give it a try

TomJohnston

• Scooter
Reply #28 on: March 11, 2014, 08:14:12 pm
Just a note... If you have a ski shop nearby, they have a clear adhesive film for the top of skis. It's heavy to protect pretty colors when standing at the lifts, but thick enough to do a good job.

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #29 on: March 12, 2014, 01:17:30 pm
might look into this option as i need something to stop the onset of possible scratching of the gas tank

atm just using a bit of clear tape