Author Topic: EFI silencer discoloring prematurely?  (Read 5488 times)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: April 04, 2014, 11:04:51 pm
I have no problem whatsoever with the discoloration. It is a sign of living, it is honest. I do use a so-called 'anti-bluing' product which in fact enhances the patina.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #16 on: April 05, 2014, 01:18:13 am
I've rode maybe fifty miles after having installed the EFI silencer, and I've noticed the silencer is already starting to turn gold in places, and the pipe underneath the foot peg is fairly blue - did I do something wrong? What do I do now?

The blue part of the pipe under the footpeg must have been blue before the muffler change. The muffler change wouldn't all of a sudden cause it; that's where the hot tube is inside the header pipe. Until you cut that out you don't have a "free flow" exhaust & it will just get bluer. Shine light up there, you'll see it.

Unless I'm totally wrong & there is no hot tube in the UCEs. In that case ignore all of the above.

But why else would the pipe under the footpeg be blue?
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

Royal Stargazer

• I have no idea what I'm doing.
  • Grease Monkey
Reply #17 on: April 05, 2014, 01:32:51 am
              The blue part of the pipe under the footpeg must have been blue before the muffler change.

It was not. The stock bazooka had a bit of gold on it and of course the bit around the O2 sensor was getting colorful, but where I had removed the silencer was completely clean chrome before all of this.

As long as I'm not wrecking the bike or anything, I guess I don't mind too much. She's more spirited this year than she was last year, that's for sure.
2020 Royal Enfield Continental GT, A racer for more than just cafes
2005 Volvo S60 2.5T AWD, Two doors too many
2003 Royal Enfield Bullet, two-wheeled time machine

Roeland

• Grease Monkey
Reply #18 on: April 05, 2014, 04:47:45 pm
My Hitchcocks' front pipe coloured blue and gold in the first day - loving it. (it is however wrapped at the moment)

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #19 on: April 06, 2014, 04:07:19 am
................. why else would the pipe under the footpeg be blue?

There is an anti-crush reinforcement ring inside the stock header where the muffler bolts on.  Once you place a free flowing muffler on, this then is a choke point - and - it turns blue.
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5