Author Topic: Diagnosing electrical problem  (Read 15826 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #30 on: March 09, 2014, 11:44:41 am
Pauly - is that you in your avatar photo?  If so, the rest of us might not have as much success with your troubleshooting techniques as you do!

;)

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 11:13:15 pm
My thoughts exactly.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Reply #32 on: March 20, 2014, 12:05:12 am
Tonight I took the bike out for a 15 mile round trip in the freezing cold pouring rain (which I wasn't expecting but that's another story).

Lights and engine ran normally. No electrical trouble* of the kind I was having. Assume I solved it?

*I did have one issue: intermittently, pulling in the clutch is triggering the high beam and the high beam indicator. But I don't think that's related to my electrical problem. If it continues I have a couple of ideas: either the bar mitt is slightly deforming the angle of the clutch lever, or when I gently laid the bike down on its side unexpectedly last month (nothing interesting to tell, I got unbalanced while working) I bent something in the lever housing
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 20, 2014, 03:34:32 am
Tonight I took the bike out for a 15 mile round trip in the freezing cold pouring rain (which I wasn't expecting but that's another story).

Lights and engine ran normally. No electrical trouble* of the kind I was having. Assume I solved it?

*I did have one issue: intermittently, pulling in the clutch is triggering the high beam and the high beam indicator. But I don't think that's related to my electrical problem. If it continues I have a couple of ideas: either the bar mitt is slightly deforming the angle of the clutch lever, or when I gently laid the bike down on its side unexpectedly last month (nothing interesting to tell, I got unbalanced while working) I bent something in the lever housing

There is a YELLOW COLOR SWITCH on the front of left handlebar that turns ON high beam as long as it is pressed. That must have been pushed in on pulling the clutch lever.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 03:49:49 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #34 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:51 pm
You are correct! The bar mitt fabric is triggering the yellow high beam switch in certain positions. Not an electrical problem, just an inconvenience. Thank you!
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 26, 2014, 01:43:07 pm
I've now done a full tank of riding in all weather with no more fuse trouble, so whatever the short was, I fixed it when I taped up those loose ends...
richmintz@richmintz.com
[/URL]