Author Topic: Front Fork Toolbag Question  (Read 7529 times)

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 02:07:53 am
I have a luggage rack, sissy bar, saddlebags, a T bag, a magnetic tank bag, AND a fork mounted tool bag on my Kawasaki. But I don't want to damage the paint or ruin the lines of my RE. I really don't like the looks of the only rack that is available for my model. So for now, I'm carrying everything in a backpack. I'm looking for a "tailpack" that can be attached to the passenger part of the seat with straps, and is quickly removable. The rail where the straps or bungee cords attach can be wrapped in several layers of electrical tape to protect the finish. I don't plan on taking the Enfield on really long trips, I mostly carry small tools, a pump, a spare tube, tire irons, stuff to fix flats. I also carry the spare clutch cable and one of the throttle cables
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 03:22:55 am
Hi Suitcase, Seeing your mention of Carrying Spare Cables, jogged a long forgotten memory circuit:  ISDT competition riders would commonly thread a spare clutch cable next to the one in use with wire ties, just waiting to be changed over when the original breaks. You can do this also to carry a spare.
  The EFI Enfields & other newer bikes use 2 identical Throttle Cables, in a push - pull configuration. If one breaks it's usually the one to pull the throttle open. The Throttle is spring loaded & would close without the other cable pushing, so you can just substitute the push cable into the pull position to continue riding. DOT might spank though - but it works.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #17 on: March 25, 2014, 11:54:28 am
Suitcase (does our nickname suit you?) -

I'm sure you've considered this, but... get a bag you like, and use a cargo net:

I wish our B5's had the G5 dual seat... but it's not bolt-on replacement.

Rich Mintz

• Grand Gearhead
  • Daily rider in the city
Rich Mintz - New York City
richmintz@richmintz.com
2010 Royal Enfield Bullet C5 • 2015 SYM Symba
[/URL]

Blairio

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 04:30:19 am
I have a leather tool bag (not tool roll) I purchased from Hitchcocks. It is big enough to hold a large paperback book. I have it strapped onto one of the side rails of my luggage rack, nowhere near the rear mudguard. I was worried that water and crap off the rear wheel might damage the finish, so I worked some 'dubbin' (leather boot waterproofer) into it. That changed the leather from something akin to hard cardboard into something more pliant - and has taken the newness off the bag.

On my last bike (suzuki vanvan), I had a cylindrical plastic 'cannister' with a screw on lid fixed in the same position. These were originally designed to store the user manual on John Deere tractors, but they work great as a tool holder. They are also big enough to take a 1 litre aluminium fuel bottle - the type designed to safely contain petrol or any other fuel, such as for a camping stove.

The cannister works great, but it doesn't look right on my Electra, hence the tool bag.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 11:06:01 am
I'd show you MY tool bag Dan, but you've already seen it in person.  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 12:24:19 pm
I'd show you MY tool bag Dan, but you've already seen it in person.  ;D

I'll show you mine if you show me hers  :) ;) :D

(After I shovel my driveway in a 40mph wind)
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 01:03:55 pm
               I'll show you mine if you show me hers  :) ;) :D

(After I shovel my driveway in a 40mph wind)

LOL  ;D    And to hell with shoveling!
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 01:14:57 pm
   LOL  ;D    And to hell with shoveling!

I took my little girl dog out for a poop earlier & she's having none of it. She looks at me like it's MY fault  ;)  Of course, to her, EVerything's my fault. She hates snow & wind.

There's not enough snow for a real blow job this time; a quick hand job will do it.

I'm getting the feeling my Spring Breakout Ride might be in June this year.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.