Author Topic: back brakes locking up again...  (Read 17135 times)

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 04, 2014, 05:21:16 am
Sorry to bother you but ive had the lock up again. i just cant seem to get this sorted. Everything is straight now, maybe the swing arm plate isnt exactly straight, but for the last 3 weeks its worked fine, then the tell tale is when i press the brake pedal then it goes soft, and then locks up.
This is driving me crazy! i just cant figure it out. stuffed bearings?, maybe the rubber bushes in wheel causing movement?
im almost tempted to get a GT rear wheel with disc brake!
I replaced the backing plate, all the cam pivots etc...every washer every nut in that brake assembly, new shoes etc...

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 09:28:02 am
 :(

Sorry to hear about this...

Is it possible for you to post a picture of the brake assembly from the outside, before you take it off? And then, also, please take a picture of the inside of the brake assembly, where we can see the brake shoes/cam. Just want to have a look..
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 01:20:40 pm
I'm starting to think you might have something broken inside of that rear hub.  You clearly have a good idea of how to install things correctly (I mean you've been dealing with this for a couple months now) but yet, even after replacing parts, it still locks up.  ???   Something must be wrong or amiss with the actuating system of the rear brake.  From what your describing with it going completely soft then immediately locking up tells me that something is jumping out of place and then getting bound up.  Could be something stupid simple like a broken retainer clip somewhere.  If you don't have one already, find an exploded view pic of your rear wheel assembly (like from Hitchock's or a manual) and pay close attention to all the tiny clips and retainers.  Remove your rear wheel (again, I know) and carefully open up the hub and take a look before completely opening up to see if anything has fallen out of place.  Then make sure that all of the clips/retainers are accounted for and correctly installed.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:42:23 pm
Yeah, also have a look at the following and check if everything was in correct order...when you take the wheel off. I'm sure you had everything alright...but you never know, something may be missing?  :-\ -

« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 01:54:24 pm by JVS »

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 04:06:53 pm
 It almost sounds like his axle is loose....not tightened down. Or loosens over time. As he applies the brake, it goes soft as the wheel pulls forward and to the left ...giving him a soft pedal. Then it locks up because the linkage is bent and can't return ? ???    I don't know, just a thought .... sound possible Steve ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 04:13:36 pm
It is likely that it is a problem related to the incident with the kangaroo that was previously not detected.
I think a thorough inspection of the whole rear hub and braking related parts is indicated.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 04:17:55 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 04, 2014, 04:27:59 pm
 Also, maybe another look at that swing arm.  Not just the end plates where the wheel mounts. But at those side tubes as well. Make sure one side is not bent up or down, in relation to the other.... 
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 04, 2014, 10:10:08 pm
Thanks heaps guys. Yes Ace, im starting to think it could have something to do with the roo incident too...i phoned a few bike mechanics yesterday, but no one is willing to try fix it, just advice is all they can offer...
i have put on the new chain tensioners to replace the old cam adjusters.
Keep in mind that new brake pads , sprocket and chain were replaced before a 2000km trip in the Aussie alps, meaning heaps of braking with a massive load, probably about 400kg including 2 people and gear.
Im pretty sure ive not missed a single washer etc on the wheel assembly but ill double check with the break down diagram. THanks again JVS for that, saves me digging that up from the parts manual! i spose i should print it off and put it in a plastic folder as im no doubt going to need it again and again!
so im about to get in there again, but what am i going to do different this time?
not sure to be honest. ill grease stuff, clean stuff and check the wheel bearing this time and the spongy things (part 2) in the wheel. i think a few of them are stuffed. I just wanna try find anything causing movement.
The real problem for me with this , is ive lost confidence. im not riding properly and have been a little scared each time i hop on. i need good brakes to be able to ride well.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #8 on: March 04, 2014, 10:44:41 pm
When the brake locks is the brake pedal stuck down?  I'm just trying to figure out if it's the actuating cam that gets stuck or if that is free to move but something else in the system is getting stuck.  I'm wondering if the cam is upside down too.

Scott

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #9 on: March 05, 2014, 12:08:54 am
When the brake locks is the brake pedal stuck down?  I'm just trying to figure out if it's the actuating cam that gets stuck or if that is free to move but something else in the system is getting stuck.  I'm wondering if the cam is upside down too.

Scott

That's why I was asking for some pics. Maybe one of us will be able to spot something wrong in the assembly? No harm in checking it out =D

whoguy

• Scooter
  • Hi... I love all things Beautiful...
Reply #10 on: March 05, 2014, 12:16:16 am
Gday Sectorsteve,

Get a white marker and put a line through the bolt and see whether it has undone itself. Also put a line across the bolt and swing arm plate to check if the bolt moves relative to the plate.

I find the slot should have been made much narrower in order to have more metal to grip onto. I was thinking of welding metal tabs so that it is impossible for the drum plate to rotate relative to the swing arm.

Alot of force is put onto the two bolts which form the pivoting point of the drum brakes... are these bolts bending all the time???  Did you get the silver bolt, not the black one??

Just my thoughts.
To ride or not to ride... That is the question!

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 05, 2014, 12:42:52 am
its looking like the whole swing arm is bent, twisted somewhat. the wheels is sitting on a weird angle.
i agree with the slot hole being too big. i think my problem is something other though. ive bent heaps of these bolts since this prob started yes.

im gonna take some pix now and post them.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 01:58:54 pm
so it happened yet again so today tried something different.
on my kangaroo trip, my muffler nut and bolt came off my muffler and i replaced it in a country town with something else that held the muffler on tight but also obstructed the brake rod.
so today ive changed that and it seems good.
preetty boriiiing i know. for me this has been a trial and error and trouble shoot thing - for months now. im hoping this is it!

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 02:00:14 pm
9th time is the charm?  Good luck Steve.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 03:54:22 pm
we"ll see Scotty. but it makes sense. the brake rod was kinda levering on this bolt. i didnt realise. i dont have the highest IQ... thank you for all your input