Author Topic: back brakes locking up again...  (Read 17141 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #60 on: April 03, 2014, 02:34:14 am
+1. Follow the instructions in the service manual.....this video is scary.
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #61 on: April 03, 2014, 04:05:57 am
+2  I agree.

Perhaps we could make a group effort and reply to the video informing others to NOT do this.  That way when someone new views the video they will see the multiple replies saying this is a bad idea and give it a second thought before doing it.  Just an idea.

I often wonder how many miles he rode before he tried coming to stop and realized his brakes fell apart.   

Scottie J
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 04:10:23 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #62 on: April 03, 2014, 07:32:53 am

Perhaps we could make a group effort and reply to the video informing others to NOT do this.  That way when someone new views the video they will see the multiple replies saying this is a bad idea and give it a second thought before doing it.  Just an idea.

I've posted comments on the video informing others why they shouldn't do that, along with links to this forum; only for the said comments to be deleted by the uploader.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: April 03, 2014, 10:33:03 am
It was obvious the way he did it in the video is NOT the right way to do it. But the right way still seemed to require moving the pivot bushing, something I've never seen on a Japanese bike. They have a different setup though, where the brake assembly comes off with the wheel, and usually a torque rod going from the brake backing plate to the swingarm.

I don't have a service manual yet, but I found this. I'm assuming this is the way it should be done.  http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,12728.15.html

Yesterday I posted a comment on Youtube saying how that didn't sound like such a good idea, and that I thought the bolts should be tight. I noticed the poster of the video replied and seem to agree
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 10:39:49 am by suitcasejefferson »
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #64 on: April 03, 2014, 11:54:01 am
Suitcase - I followed the advice I found on this forum regarding rear brake adjustment; many different contributors, all saying more or less the same thing, similar to this (from that other thread about that video):

...when assembling the rear brake there is the point when you should step on the lever with loose nuts at the brake cam bushing in order to allow the cams to center themselves. But afterwards it´s done and you must fasten the nuts then. The cams are not designed to center themselves on every single braking...

My rear brakes felt mushy, too, before I took that adjustment step, and now they're much improved... not rock-hard, of course, but I can lock my rear wheel on clean dry pavement at 25 mph if I want to (I know, 'cause I tried it!).

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #65 on: April 11, 2014, 01:25:53 am
related but kinda not to the thread...
the other day in the wet i had to apply front brake(as i still have no rear) suddenly to avoid a cat. i like cats...anyway, i slid out. very minor scratches etc, hardly anything actually, however when i picked the bike up and rode home the steering was outta whack. cant really see what it is. i thought maybe like some bikes the steering may have moved, but i cant see how it can. i pulled the bars off and repositioned them between 2 punch hole marks and things seem to be better, but when i jump on, something now on the front end appears bent.
It was just a matter of time. This rear brake thing has gone on way too long. still waiting for parts from hitchcocks from weeks ago.
i find it really hard to get things straight on bikes as they should be...

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 11, 2014, 01:55:31 am
Well I finally did find out one thing. My drum is out of round.I put it on the centerstand, and kept spinning the wheel by hand, while tightening the adjuster nut til I could hear it rubbing, but it didn't rub all the way around, more like half of a turn, then no rubbing. Even if the shoes are not centered, the only thing that can cause that is an out of round drum.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #67 on: April 11, 2014, 02:52:13 am
so what would that mean if it isnt perfectly round? how can they stuff up circle?

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #68 on: April 11, 2014, 03:00:11 am
Well I finally did find out one thing. My drum is out of round.I put it on the centerstand, and kept spinning the wheel by hand, while tightening the adjuster nut til I could hear it rubbing, but it didn't rub all the way around, more like half of a turn, then no rubbing. Even if the shoes are not centered, the only thing that can cause that is an out of round drum.

I think you need to center the shoes properly, if you haven't done so already.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #69 on: April 11, 2014, 04:08:13 am
My mechanic has seen one if these.  Not necessarily out of round but the brake surface and bearing seat are not on the same center.  No way it can ever work. 

On the front end, loosen the lower triple bolts and the axle bolts.  Loosen the steering tube clamp bolts on the upper nacelle.  Wedge the front wheel against the wall and twist back and forth.  Get things centered and tighten things up again.  There may not be anything bent, just twisted out of alignment.

Scott
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 03:01:47 pm by Ducati Scotty »

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #70 on: April 11, 2014, 06:37:24 am
Ah yes.  The old twister fix. :)

Before doing this, it's a good idea to study the situation a bit.
Often, when a bike goes down, the handlebars are the first thing to hit the road. 
When they hit they try to jerk the front fork towards the grip that hit the ground but then the side of the front tire hits the road and stops the forks from turning further.
That ends up causing the front forks/wheel to be pointing away from the grip that contacted the tarmac.
(If the right grip hit the tarmac, the front wheel/forks will  be pointed a bit to the left).
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #71 on: April 11, 2014, 06:11:10 pm
Ah yes.  The old twister fix. :)

Use to do that on my 10 speed Huffy.....

Sectorsteve:  Shops use to have a arc machine to mate brakes to the curvature of the drum interior lining...I haven't seen one in years..Some people take a file or sander (wear a mask) to them especially if it's a new setup....If they are setup correctly, you'll be surprise of the bite that they provide vice slapping them and calling it a day...Still hard to believe that they're so misaligned that when they bite they lock up but anything is possible on a Enfield   ;D..It's just another thing that need to be looked at in your attempt to get the rears working correctly...Don't give up and be satisfied with just your front brake.  The fix is right in front of you..GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #72 on: April 11, 2014, 06:26:05 pm
My mechanic has seen one if these.  Not necessarily out of round but the brake surface and bearing seat are not on the same center.  No way it can ever work. 

On the front end, loosen the lower triple bolts and the axle bolts.  Loosen the steering tube clamp bolts on the upper nacelle.  Wedge the front wheel against the wall and twist back and forth.  Get things centered and tighten things up again.  There may not be anything bent, just twisted out of alignment.

Scott

This is on the rear brake. Whether the hub is out of round, or as you said, the brake surface is not lined up with the bearing, fixing it means a new hub. I haven't had time to take it apart yet and check it out, but unless the brake shoes are moving as the wheel turns, it just about has to be the hub.