Author Topic: RE as Custom Cafe Build for 2013  (Read 2770 times)

Bumboo

• Scooter
on: March 03, 2014, 02:09:59 pm
http://www.pipeburn.com/home/2013/12/26/pipeburns-2013-bike-of-the-year-award.html#.UxSMAvldVbE

Maybe you've seen this but first time for me:  RE wins 2103 custom cafĂ© build for 2013.   

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 04, 2014, 03:49:02 am
Thanks for sharing! Some very impressive bikes in here!
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #2 on: March 04, 2014, 04:48:09 am
It's a Fireball.
Chumma built the engine and did some other custom touches on that bike.

Congrats to Max for the bike of the year award.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 04, 2014, 01:09:29 pm
I enjoyed that bike the first time I saw it.  Not really my style per say, but a very nice build with some excellent fabrication throughout the build.  I particularly like the seat/rear section, just love how the tubes come up from the swing arm to the rear of the bike.  All in all, a very clean and prominent custom build.  Definitely a well deserved award.

Congrats to all of those who were involved with this build!  Well Done!

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #4 on: March 04, 2014, 07:49:19 pm
Some truely inspirational bikes on that list, congratulations to Max. I'd love to know how fast the custom RE goes in that trim with the fireball engine.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 04, 2014, 08:15:08 pm
Some truely inspirational bikes on that list, congratulations to Max. I'd love to know how fast the custom RE goes in that trim with the fireball engine.

Since it's a naked bike, it will go about the same speeds as the regular Fireballs do.
The typical speed with a 19 tooth countershaft spocket will be around 103mph, or maybe a little more, depending on how well everything is tuned.
That's with a regular rider of around 160 pounds. Big and heavy guys may not get it to go as fast.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #6 on: March 06, 2014, 07:38:30 pm
Thats good although it should accelerate quicker, as the Enfield in the link does look lighter.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 06, 2014, 08:24:31 pm
Thats good although it should accelerate quicker, as the Enfield in the link does look lighter.

Yes, I think it probably would accelerate quicker because of light weight.
I would expect something around 6.5 seconds to 60mph, or around there.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #8 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:33 am
It appears that the tranny is lifted, or am I seeing that wrong?
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #9 on: March 07, 2014, 05:59:00 am
I think it is an illusion....    with the pipe cumming around on the LEFT  side  the curve is lower than stock.... gap below...
the unsprung suspension coupled with the nice gap from the rear to the seat makes for a nice gap... ads t to the illusion.

if it were raised the cylinder would have more of a tilt forward....
     just my observations - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 07, 2014, 12:01:55 pm
..........the pipe cumming around on the LEFT  side  the curve is lower than stock.......

Pipes cumming around curves, eh?    ;D  ;D  ;D
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 07, 2014, 01:13:30 pm
The center-line of the engine sprocket and the clutch should be inline on a stock setup. They are not on  this bike. You can raise the trans without tilting the engine with an adapter plate,.  I wish they would show more than one view of the "Winner".
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:16:43 pm by cyrusb »
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 07, 2014, 01:26:20 pm
I think it's because the bike is elevated at the rear in the photo. It has more rear suspension travel, and the seat is located higher, and nobody is sitting on it.

I can tell you that no tranny movement was used in terms of the connection to the engine, because Chumma would have had to do that. Chumma built this engine and made most of the primary chaincase modifications. He did not do any indexing of the bolt pattern that mounts the primary to the engine, or change the stud holes to mount the gearbox, or anything like that.

I think if someone was sitting on the bike to take out the spring preload, then it would look more oriented like we would expect to see.

A close look will reveal a fully shrouded lay-down longitundinal coil-over monoshock under the engine, which is articulated off the bottom of the swing-arm.

The exposed clutch and back part of the primary chain are real pants-grabbers. I think this is really made to be a show bike, or else very tight pants and judicious foot placement would be required.
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 01:39:10 pm by ace.cafe »

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: March 07, 2014, 08:24:33 pm
Maybe, but those centers just don't look the same. To me anyway....Here you can put them side by side.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: March 07, 2014, 10:38:15 pm
Here is where i have seen this before.  Incidentally, I'd rather have this one.  Anywho, if there are guys raising tranny's, why?   
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 10:43:57 pm by cyrusb »