Author Topic: My Continental GT experience so far.  (Read 15815 times)

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:32 pm
Congratulations GSS for the beautiful Continental GT you got. The fuel line kink was just REs way of introducing itself to you. Look forward to reading more of your ventures on it.

The article in Cycle World that Boggy mentioned is "CHAI RACER - Riding the New Royal Enfield in Its Native Indian Habitat" by Gary Inman. It is not a review of the bike but more of riding experience in India on GT and it is a good read with a nice way of penning his journey with such sentences .... 'It is the Royal Enfield Continental GT that is a four-stroke dose of Valium' ..... 'Every time I park and walk back to GT, it is gleaming like a jewel dropped in a plowed field' ....   and more.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:20:48 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 02:16:40 am
Thanks! Those are indeed Pirelli Sport Demons....very nice looking size and fit....and they have tubes.

I actually had fun doing the trouble-shooting, but agree that it is completely unacceptable to do such a poor job with design and assembly of a simple fuel hose.  It thought we were going to burn out the starter or destroy the sprag during the initial attempts to start at Marty's shop.

Anyway, now I know where to find everything on the bike!  A 7" headlight swap comes next, and I will get rid of the rear license plate and move in the rear turn signals once my plates come in.....will post photos at that time.

The bar ends have a nice plastic ring where you can mount bar end mirrors.  I had a pair of tiny aluminum ones that fit perfectly, but I am going to look for larger ones.

GHG and ScooterBob, I don't need freebies, but nice chrome coils would look much nicer than the yellow painted ones!

Bare, the release cable is inside the left cover and the cover has a lock.....although it would still be pretty easy to force open.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:42 pm
Yeah, but I gave up on those kinds of girls a loooong time ago.  ;)

Yeah, I've found it's a lot better to be the hi-maintenance guy!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:08 am
  ;D

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 05:42:05 pm
  ;) oh my! I didn't realize there were "low" maintenance girls...I should do my shopping more thoroughly.
GSS , congrats on your new bike and thanks for all the new "fix her" ???? up tips.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 06:11:40 pm
Hey GSS, my dealer dumped the license plate abortion before anyone had the chance to see it! Now thats an RE guy. ;D ;D ;D
Roverman & the GREen B.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 07:31:47 pm
  ;) oh my! I didn't realize there were "low" maintenance girls...I should do my shopping more thoroughly.

Those of us who know don't leave them on the market long ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:24 pm
Took me awhile to find one, but what a treasure!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:20 am
I pulled off the humongous "license plate" and restored some harmony.....fender extenders will go next.

Next up were some bar ends that I had picked up a few years ago and couldn't find any use for them.  These were a perfect fit on the plastic rings on the bar end weights......they are a bit small but will do until I find something better.

The US headlight is indeed dorky.  Looking closely at WildBill's bike, my suspicion is that our entire bucket is different.  His bucket has a single ring while our's has a two ring unit similar to a C5/B5.  I have an 7" light and an innner/outer ring set coming soon.  I will post photos if the swap is successful, otherwise I will wait until I can pick up a complete 7" GT headlight unit.

Compared to the very nice looking rectangular turn signals on the Australian and Indian bikes, we received small round turn signals with a DOT stamp.  These are smaller and a little bit less refined compared to the C5/B5 units.  Here are some photos.

GSS

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:59:43 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:53 am
Wow, nice looking mirrors, almost like the aftermarket ones we saw on the promotional Contis. By the way, are you planning to change the turn signals with some smaller/sleek ones? The bike will look so much better with some sleek turn signals (Just my opinion  ;)). You can probably get them off E-bay for around $USD20.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:57 am
The US headlight is indeed dorky.  Looking closely at WildBill's bike, my suspicion is that our entire bucket is different.  His bucket has a single ring while our's has a two ring unit similar to a C5/B5.  I have an 7" light and an innner/outer ring set coming soon.  I will post photos if the swap is successful, otherwise I will wait until I can pick up a complete 7" GT headlight unit.

Compared to the very nice looking rectangular turn signals on the Australian and Indian bikes, we received small round turn signals with a DOT stamp.  These are smaller and a little bit less refined compared to the C5/B5 units.

Wow, you're right about that headlight bucket - what a difference between them.  Stupid DOT.  Seems strange about the turn signals, too - they're turn signals!  Little yellow lights that flash!  Why do they have to be different?  Oh well...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:35 pm
Wow, you're right about that headlight bucket - what a difference between them.  Stupid DOT.  Seems strange about the turn signals, too - they're turn signals!  Little yellow lights that flash!  Why do they have to be different?  Oh well...

Again, I believe the US DOT has size restrictions for turn signals.  And again, each state is different, but those little "low-profile" turn signals you see are illegal in some states due to being too small.  But then again, you have states like here in Colorado, that you don't even need turn signals to be street legal.  The use of hand signals is perfectly acceptable here and so I chose not to install turn signals on the Blackhawk.  But when it boils down to it, those turn signals are just as replaceable as any other item on the bike.  :)

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:27 pm
Again, I believe the US DOT has size restrictions for turn signals.  And again, each state is different, but those little "low-profile" turn signals you see are illegal in some states due to being too small.  But then again, you have states like here in Colorado, that you don't even need turn signals to be street legal.  The use of hand signals is perfectly acceptable here and so I chose not to install turn signals on the Blackhawk.  But when it boils down to it, those turn signals are just as replaceable as any other item on the bike.  :)

Scottie J

I always yank off the turn signals on all my bikes. My state doesn't require them either, and they are a big PIA with all their wiring and associated crap-ola. Bike is much cleaner without them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 02:49:22 pm
Just from the pic of your bucket, the 5" DOT POS assembly looks no different than the one that came on my C5. If so, the 7" kit should work out just fine.
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:53 pm
No denying it, I am yearning for a GT. A couple of improvemnts photos suggest to me: I think most people will get rid of the over large muffler. I was very surprised that my bike runs so well with a NON-Standard Silencer. My Pre owned 2010 G5 deluxe came with a 1960's British "Cocktail Shaker" reverse cone megaphone, with only a flat plate with holes for a baffle. It is louder than stock, but pleasant to me. This indicates that Enfield EFI systems WILL map less restrictive silencers than those with cat-converters, made for the bikes. I think you could choose about any muffler with some baffling that will fit. Up-turned is necessary not to drag. A less bulky one will allow rear wheel hub adjustments to be made a lot easier.
   I also noticed the rear set pegs have downward pointing "drag Guards", my last bike came with shorter ones, & I found even them to be hazardous & removed them. My pants legs kept getting caught on mine when I pulled away from standing starts. Your pegs are already so high you are never likely to drag them so the Guards aren't really necessary.
   I would surely love to get my hands on one of the GT's,  Have fun!
Best Wishes, Craig McClure