Author Topic: My Continental GT experience so far.  (Read 15825 times)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:09 am
  Very cool GSS, fly by wire speedo.....
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:56 am
JVS,  Craig, Heloego, Thanks!  I am looking forward to spring. :)

To continue the update, here is how to fix the manufacturing defect that led to the GT being dead on arrival.  Other than the 20 second idle after Marty had primed the cylinder and pushed around the fuel hose and some connectors, the bike wouldn't start even though there was an occasional half-thump of it trying to start.  I pulled off the gas tank today to replace the gas, even though I was convinced that the dust/grime in the tank was trivial and unlikely to have caused the non-starting issue.  I was also convinced that it was impossible to kink a thick hose to the extent that a fuel pump couldn't push through enough gas for the bike to start.......well I was wrong......and we are finally tainted by technology!

The gas tank comes off very easily by removing two 10mm bolts under the seat. There are nice rubber bushings isolating the entire tank from the frame, fore and aft.  The fuel injector now has a quick-disconnect at the hose and this swivels up and down.  The kink was immediately visible on lifting the rear end of the tank (photo 1) and was caused by a short hose being forced to make a tight bend (photo 2), especially as it ran on top of the accelerator cables.  Still unconvinced, I removed the hose and blew through it.....even the gentlest pressure to restore the shape of the kink was 100% occlusive. ???

I replaced the hose with a US made hose and clamps, routing a longer length with two curves to eliminate the kink (photo 3).  Amazing result.....bike fired right up.....electric start/kick start.....everything works to perfection :)

In the interim period I discovered a very well made frame underneath the tank and much improved wire routing and protection.

This problem will undoubtedly surface for others and will prove to be amazingly frustrating for new buyers......hopefully Kevin can get back to the RE engineers so that they can fix the way they slap these things together......and maybe even do a preemptive fix on the US bikes.  For the brothers and sisters on this forum, this should now be an easy fix :)

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:33 am
good to hear you got that one under control pretty quick. now for the factory exhaust - so you think the exhaust note  sounds alright

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:58 am
  That would do it !   

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:19 am
Interesting that with ALL the trouble that was had with crankcase vent hoses on the previous bikes, you'd THINK the boys over there could figure out hose lengths. GSS - You ought to get a medal (or some free stuff!!) for rebuilding a brand new bike just to make it run ......  :-\
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 01:49:59 pm
That was a hell of a kink! >:( Totally unacceptable! Makes you wonder how they put over 7 miles on it before delivery.  Must have pushed it. :o
Nice job "straightening out" the problem, and especially happy that's all it was!  :)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

bugtussle

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:49 pm
Excellent info, thanks for that! Can you confirm if the GT has sealed spokes/rims or not? Or are we using tubes in the tubeless tires?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 04:34:04 pm
Interesting that with ALL the trouble that was had with crankcase vent hoses on the previous bikes, you'd THINK the boys over there could figure out hose lengths. GSS - You ought to get a medal (or some free stuff!!) for rebuilding a brand new bike just to make it run ......  :-\

+1 !......  OR at least some chrome or black shocks !    D'oh ! ::)   Sorry GSS,  Just not personally feeling 'em.  ;)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:28:29 pm
Excellent info, thanks for that! Can you confirm if the GT has sealed spokes/rims or not? Or are we using tubes in the tubeless tires?
SEALED SPOKES?  I cant imagine going tubeless in a laced wheel. Does anyone really do this?
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 06:53:26 pm
Congrats on the new bike. Wish they hadn't taken so long to get here. I had to give up on mine.
The seat mount looks like the one on my Guzzi. Does your cable had a lock at the end?
It's a pretty good bet that if the bike has wire wheels, it has tubes. There are a few very rare exceptions. I'm sure this isn't one of them. The show bikes had the same Pirelli Sport Demons my Guzzi has, although different wheel sizes. They have tubes. They are great tires, I love mine. I get 6500 miles out of the rear and at 11,000, the front still has a few miles left on it. does yours have the same tires?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:26 pm
SEALED SPOKES?  I cant imagine going tubeless in a laced wheel. Does anyone really do this?

Yes, there are a few bikes that have spoked rims and tubeless tires.  There are also some aftermarket rims like this available and some kits to do it.  You can also DIY it through several methods.

All that said, I very much doubt the RE GT has tubeless spoked wheels.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:30 pm
The only factory bike I know of that has tubeless spoke wheels are the top end BMW GS series bikes like my friends 2013 GS1200R.  I believe I remember him saying they are $800 a wheel when we were talking about them over last summer.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 10:59:10 pm
The bike looks fantastic.  There's an article in Cycle World this month.  I think these GTs are going to be popular.  What a bummer (but zero suprise) that you have to do maintenance on a zero mile Enfield.  It really does take the right kind of owner to appreciate these machines.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 11:21:38 pm
That's what makes you love 'em, just like those hi-maintenance girls you love so much! It gives them personality!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 11:24:10 pm
That's what makes you love 'em, just like those hi-maintenance girls you love so much! It gives them personality!
Bare

Yeah, but I gave up on those kinds of girls a loooong time ago.  ;)

Scott