Author Topic: My Continental GT experience so far.  (Read 15827 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 02, 2014, 05:05:01 am
My GT finally came in and I picked it up this morning.....200 mile round trip in -2F and icy roads with a trailer. Marty was kind enough to open early and wait for me before unboxing.......and the verdict.....it is a genuine RE.....I cannot see anything that has changed dramatically with quality control, fit, finish etc. compared to the C5......some things are better, others are the same.

I cannot ride it yet because the roads are icy and it is horrendously cold.  The other problem is that it would not start.  Overall the bike feels solid and well balanced. Side panels are painted metal. Welds are a mix of machine and hand-welded with sufficient crudeness around the rear upper shock mounts to support the legacy of a hand-built bike. The paint at the bottom of one rear spring is cracked and peeling.

Front speedo gear is different.....electronic unit at front axle and no more rotating wires! Fenders are very light plastic but well finished. Rear fender has streaks of red paint rubbed off the rear cowl of the seat....should come off easily with some cleaner/wax.

Rear license plate is humongous....you can mount 3 US plates on that!  Rear light base is painted cast metal with irregular looking edges.  Turn signals look a bit flimsy and the rear ones have a second mounting option directly on the rear light base. This second site will work well with US plates.

Battery is still old school FIAMM.  The spark plug was a Bosch with plenty of black soot....7.9 miles on the odometer.....Marty threw in a new plug.  After priming the cylinder multiple times with gas, it finally started and we idled it for about 20 seconds.  He thought the fuel hose looked kinked but we couldn't figure out how to get the seat off......I finally figured it out after I got home. Just behind the battery is a pull wire that releases the entire plastic framed seat......nothing to unscrew and a very nice way to do this.

One thing that caught my eye was a thick layer of caked on dust in a circle around the fuel filler lid.  I took a flashlight and ran a finger along the inside of the fuel tank after I got home and it is dusty and grimy.  I suspect the tanks sat open without lids in a dusty environment before being given a cap.  I will remove the tank and wash it out tomorrow, but may be looking at a choked fuel pump or injector.  The attached photo was taken after I had already wiped off most of the dirt around the filler hole, and you can still see streaks of dark grime inside the tank.

On a positive note, the muffler sounds great!  Nice thump.....better than the bazooka on the C5 or the myriad other mufflers I have tried.  This one sounds old school, and despite the size and painted welds, I will keep this for now.

I removed the headlight jumper wire to enable the headlight switch.  The little US headlight can be replaced with a 7" and the usual inner/outer rings for other RE bikes should fit the bucket.  Wiring is identical to the C5 and the bucket still has the unused connector for the little pilot light below the headlight bulb. I unplugged the side stand switch as well.

Marty said there were no spare tubes in the GT box.....I was given the usual toolkit, clutch and throttle cables, can of paint and a user manual.  I did not install the mirrors and will wait to get bar-ends.

Speedo unit now has a proper digital fuel gauge.

I think this will be a nice bike......but given the dead on arrival status the tinkering will have to start sooner than I had planned!  I will post some more photos when I get a chance.  Thanks.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:22:12 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:27:12 am
How many miles were on it when you picked it up? I was under the impression that the dealers are supposed to take the bikes out for an initial run and put a few miles on them....
I could be wrong or maybe it is up to the dealers
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:33:56 am
7.9 miles were on it when we unpacked the box. You can't take a bike out in this weather, so it is not a dealer issue.  I am not too worried about the non-starting issue at this point.....this can happen with any machine.  This will be a nice bike once spring rolls around.

Some more photos....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:14:45 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:24 am
Dust in fuel tank a bit of concern...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:33:05 am
GSS

i thought the gt was running tubeless tyres. now that said and more importantly - do you like the look of the bike!
as for doing a bit of work on them from scratch.....it wouldn't be a royal enfield if you didn't have to do something.
i will make sure mine is ok prior to the pick-up. like you i have to travel several hours to pick up and transport it back.
one thing i always thought about. those initial test bikes do you think royal enfield may have cleaned some up and slapped on a new speedometer and shipped them to the usa or australia.
thought is always there, best of luck
regards

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:56 pm
 Congratulation GSS ! Are you the first to take delivery here in the states I wonder ? ..... Mushing down on a dogsled with your own crow bar and all !  He...he..he  ;D ;)  Enjoy the bike !  8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:47:18 pm
Congrats!!!  I'm really liking the new speedo.  Very clean and most importantly very functional with the addition of the electronic fuel gauge.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:58:27 pm
Wildbill,
The look of the bike is excellent. The 3-4 variances from the "marketing bikes" are all easily fixable by everyone.  I didn't put on the stock mirrors, and the mounting hole already have plugs covering them.  The US headlight will be a quick swap for a 7" using an inner/outer rim from any RE. The giant rear plate can come off and the turn signals will relocate closer on the rear light. The muffler is acceptable in shape and it wouldn't be RE without Madras chrome!

GHG,
I was told that this is the lowest VIN in the US, but it isn't xxxx01......something like xxxx71 instead......so not really sure.

I got it up and running and will probably replace the gas once and maybe put in a different fuel hose if this one is truly kinked.  Overall, I am starting to see several improvements.  Front brake hose is stainless steel, all wiring looks better protected, although wire gauge and connectors are unchanged.

-18F this morning!  I am hoping to see the ScooterBob dogsled team in town next weekend.....will look forward to his expert commentary on the GT  :D 8)

Scottie,
Thanks! The fuel gauge is a step up from the idiot light on my C5, but the electronic speedo means an end to the beloved bouncing needle.......one less thing to lubricate now!

GSS
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:33:31 pm by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:24:28 pm
Congratulations, That looks wonderfull. I'd like one myself.  Wonder why they welded & painted the muffler like that, They could have just made it fit together with 3 Allen head screws, like they did in the 60's, it would look a lot cleaner. If your seat cowl rubs the fender, some automotive vinyl door edge material on it might help. I used it around all the sharp edges of my frame side covers to be sure no wires rubbed through.
There is nothing better than having a new NEW BIKE. bet you run out to the garage every morning before breakfast.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:31:55 pm
A gas gauge....Who thought of that???

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:13 pm

-18F this morning!  I am hoping to see the ScooterBob dogsled team in town next weekend.....will look forward to his expert commentary on the GT  :D 8)

Scottie,
Thanks! The fuel gauge is a step up from the idiot light on my C5, but the electronic speedo means an end to the beloved bouncing needle.......one less thing to lubricate now!

GSS

Have a fire going and a wee dram ready to warm him after his Iditarod like trip GSS !    Then hold on to those low bars, tuck in and get ready to go faster!   ;D 8)

How is the speedo connected? ... At the wheel hub still ?  Can't see in the pics, but does it still have and o2 sensor on the pipe ?  Also , I think I read somewhere that there are knock sensors on the bike . Do you see any wires or sensors going into the head, besides the temp sensor ?
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:53:34 pm
It looks awesome and you can make it more awesome. Is it rear disc brake?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:04 am
GHG,
O2 sensor and temp sensor positions are unchanged. No new wires to the head that I can see.  There are 2 very nice triangular head steadies on both sides.......throttle both is rotated slightly clockwise to accommodate the second one....looks like we may be able to squeeze a second one on our C5s as well.  Photo of speedo gear is attached below.

Sectorsteve,
Dual disc brakes and both have stainless steel hoses.  Second brake fluid container is under the seat.  It is definitely a nice machine.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:54:05 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:39 am
Many congratulations, GSS  ;D Thanks for the initial report. I'm confident you'll enjoy this bike. Hopefully the weather at your side will improve soon and you can go out and have fun. Would really like to know how the riding experience is on one of these Contis  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:59 am
Congrats on the GT, GSS!
I'm liking the improvements!
I agree with Craig re the silencer, though. Looks funky.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.