Author Topic: My Continental GT experience so far.  (Read 15836 times)

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
on: March 02, 2014, 05:05:01 am
My GT finally came in and I picked it up this morning.....200 mile round trip in -2F and icy roads with a trailer. Marty was kind enough to open early and wait for me before unboxing.......and the verdict.....it is a genuine RE.....I cannot see anything that has changed dramatically with quality control, fit, finish etc. compared to the C5......some things are better, others are the same.

I cannot ride it yet because the roads are icy and it is horrendously cold.  The other problem is that it would not start.  Overall the bike feels solid and well balanced. Side panels are painted metal. Welds are a mix of machine and hand-welded with sufficient crudeness around the rear upper shock mounts to support the legacy of a hand-built bike. The paint at the bottom of one rear spring is cracked and peeling.

Front speedo gear is different.....electronic unit at front axle and no more rotating wires! Fenders are very light plastic but well finished. Rear fender has streaks of red paint rubbed off the rear cowl of the seat....should come off easily with some cleaner/wax.

Rear license plate is humongous....you can mount 3 US plates on that!  Rear light base is painted cast metal with irregular looking edges.  Turn signals look a bit flimsy and the rear ones have a second mounting option directly on the rear light base. This second site will work well with US plates.

Battery is still old school FIAMM.  The spark plug was a Bosch with plenty of black soot....7.9 miles on the odometer.....Marty threw in a new plug.  After priming the cylinder multiple times with gas, it finally started and we idled it for about 20 seconds.  He thought the fuel hose looked kinked but we couldn't figure out how to get the seat off......I finally figured it out after I got home. Just behind the battery is a pull wire that releases the entire plastic framed seat......nothing to unscrew and a very nice way to do this.

One thing that caught my eye was a thick layer of caked on dust in a circle around the fuel filler lid.  I took a flashlight and ran a finger along the inside of the fuel tank after I got home and it is dusty and grimy.  I suspect the tanks sat open without lids in a dusty environment before being given a cap.  I will remove the tank and wash it out tomorrow, but may be looking at a choked fuel pump or injector.  The attached photo was taken after I had already wiped off most of the dirt around the filler hole, and you can still see streaks of dark grime inside the tank.

On a positive note, the muffler sounds great!  Nice thump.....better than the bazooka on the C5 or the myriad other mufflers I have tried.  This one sounds old school, and despite the size and painted welds, I will keep this for now.

I removed the headlight jumper wire to enable the headlight switch.  The little US headlight can be replaced with a 7" and the usual inner/outer rings for other RE bikes should fit the bucket.  Wiring is identical to the C5 and the bucket still has the unused connector for the little pilot light below the headlight bulb. I unplugged the side stand switch as well.

Marty said there were no spare tubes in the GT box.....I was given the usual toolkit, clutch and throttle cables, can of paint and a user manual.  I did not install the mirrors and will wait to get bar-ends.

Speedo unit now has a proper digital fuel gauge.

I think this will be a nice bike......but given the dead on arrival status the tinkering will have to start sooner than I had planned!  I will post some more photos when I get a chance.  Thanks.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 03:22:12 am by GSS »
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: March 02, 2014, 05:27:12 am
How many miles were on it when you picked it up? I was under the impression that the dealers are supposed to take the bikes out for an initial run and put a few miles on them....
I could be wrong or maybe it is up to the dealers
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: March 02, 2014, 05:33:56 am
7.9 miles were on it when we unpacked the box. You can't take a bike out in this weather, so it is not a dealer issue.  I am not too worried about the non-starting issue at this point.....this can happen with any machine.  This will be a nice bike once spring rolls around.

Some more photos....
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 06:14:45 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: March 02, 2014, 05:40:24 am
Dust in fuel tank a bit of concern...

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: March 02, 2014, 08:33:05 am
GSS

i thought the gt was running tubeless tyres. now that said and more importantly - do you like the look of the bike!
as for doing a bit of work on them from scratch.....it wouldn't be a royal enfield if you didn't have to do something.
i will make sure mine is ok prior to the pick-up. like you i have to travel several hours to pick up and transport it back.
one thing i always thought about. those initial test bikes do you think royal enfield may have cleaned some up and slapped on a new speedometer and shipped them to the usa or australia.
thought is always there, best of luck
regards

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 02:06:56 pm
 Congratulation GSS ! Are you the first to take delivery here in the states I wonder ? ..... Mushing down on a dogsled with your own crow bar and all !  He...he..he  ;D ;)  Enjoy the bike !  8)
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 04:47:18 pm
Congrats!!!  I'm really liking the new speedo.  Very clean and most importantly very functional with the addition of the electronic fuel gauge.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 04:58:27 pm
Wildbill,
The look of the bike is excellent. The 3-4 variances from the "marketing bikes" are all easily fixable by everyone.  I didn't put on the stock mirrors, and the mounting hole already have plugs covering them.  The US headlight will be a quick swap for a 7" using an inner/outer rim from any RE. The giant rear plate can come off and the turn signals will relocate closer on the rear light. The muffler is acceptable in shape and it wouldn't be RE without Madras chrome!

GHG,
I was told that this is the lowest VIN in the US, but it isn't xxxx01......something like xxxx71 instead......so not really sure.

I got it up and running and will probably replace the gas once and maybe put in a different fuel hose if this one is truly kinked.  Overall, I am starting to see several improvements.  Front brake hose is stainless steel, all wiring looks better protected, although wire gauge and connectors are unchanged.

-18F this morning!  I am hoping to see the ScooterBob dogsled team in town next weekend.....will look forward to his expert commentary on the GT  :D 8)

Scottie,
Thanks! The fuel gauge is a step up from the idiot light on my C5, but the electronic speedo means an end to the beloved bouncing needle.......one less thing to lubricate now!

GSS
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 05:33:31 pm by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 05:24:28 pm
Congratulations, That looks wonderfull. I'd like one myself.  Wonder why they welded & painted the muffler like that, They could have just made it fit together with 3 Allen head screws, like they did in the 60's, it would look a lot cleaner. If your seat cowl rubs the fender, some automotive vinyl door edge material on it might help. I used it around all the sharp edges of my frame side covers to be sure no wires rubbed through.
There is nothing better than having a new NEW BIKE. bet you run out to the garage every morning before breakfast.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 05:31:55 pm
A gas gauge....Who thought of that???

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 06:44:13 pm

-18F this morning!  I am hoping to see the ScooterBob dogsled team in town next weekend.....will look forward to his expert commentary on the GT  :D 8)

Scottie,
Thanks! The fuel gauge is a step up from the idiot light on my C5, but the electronic speedo means an end to the beloved bouncing needle.......one less thing to lubricate now!

GSS

Have a fire going and a wee dram ready to warm him after his Iditarod like trip GSS !    Then hold on to those low bars, tuck in and get ready to go faster!   ;D 8)

How is the speedo connected? ... At the wheel hub still ?  Can't see in the pics, but does it still have and o2 sensor on the pipe ?  Also , I think I read somewhere that there are knock sensors on the bike . Do you see any wires or sensors going into the head, besides the temp sensor ?

Sectorsteve

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 10:53:34 pm
It looks awesome and you can make it more awesome. Is it rear disc brake?

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: March 03, 2014, 01:52:04 am
GHG,
O2 sensor and temp sensor positions are unchanged. No new wires to the head that I can see.  There are 2 very nice triangular head steadies on both sides.......throttle both is rotated slightly clockwise to accommodate the second one....looks like we may be able to squeeze a second one on our C5s as well.  Photo of speedo gear is attached below.

Sectorsteve,
Dual disc brakes and both have stainless steel hoses.  Second brake fluid container is under the seat.  It is definitely a nice machine.

GSS
« Last Edit: March 03, 2014, 01:54:05 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #13 on: March 03, 2014, 01:58:39 am
Many congratulations, GSS  ;D Thanks for the initial report. I'm confident you'll enjoy this bike. Hopefully the weather at your side will improve soon and you can go out and have fun. Would really like to know how the riding experience is on one of these Contis  ;)
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

heloego

• A 2x4. My kingdom for a 2x4!
  • Grand Gearhead
  • USA '12 C5, '06 ElectraX
Reply #14 on: March 03, 2014, 02:23:59 am
Congrats on the GT, GSS!
I'm liking the improvements!
I agree with Craig re the silencer, though. Looks funky.  ;)
'18 Bonneville T-100, Blue/White
'12 C5 Classic
'06 Electra X AVL w/32mm Mikuni and Gold Star system.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: March 03, 2014, 02:56:09 am
  Very cool GSS, fly by wire speedo.....

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: March 03, 2014, 03:01:56 am
JVS,  Craig, Heloego, Thanks!  I am looking forward to spring. :)

To continue the update, here is how to fix the manufacturing defect that led to the GT being dead on arrival.  Other than the 20 second idle after Marty had primed the cylinder and pushed around the fuel hose and some connectors, the bike wouldn't start even though there was an occasional half-thump of it trying to start.  I pulled off the gas tank today to replace the gas, even though I was convinced that the dust/grime in the tank was trivial and unlikely to have caused the non-starting issue.  I was also convinced that it was impossible to kink a thick hose to the extent that a fuel pump couldn't push through enough gas for the bike to start.......well I was wrong......and we are finally tainted by technology!

The gas tank comes off very easily by removing two 10mm bolts under the seat. There are nice rubber bushings isolating the entire tank from the frame, fore and aft.  The fuel injector now has a quick-disconnect at the hose and this swivels up and down.  The kink was immediately visible on lifting the rear end of the tank (photo 1) and was caused by a short hose being forced to make a tight bend (photo 2), especially as it ran on top of the accelerator cables.  Still unconvinced, I removed the hose and blew through it.....even the gentlest pressure to restore the shape of the kink was 100% occlusive. ???

I replaced the hose with a US made hose and clamps, routing a longer length with two curves to eliminate the kink (photo 3).  Amazing result.....bike fired right up.....electric start/kick start.....everything works to perfection :)

In the interim period I discovered a very well made frame underneath the tank and much improved wire routing and protection.

This problem will undoubtedly surface for others and will prove to be amazingly frustrating for new buyers......hopefully Kevin can get back to the RE engineers so that they can fix the way they slap these things together......and maybe even do a preemptive fix on the US bikes.  For the brothers and sisters on this forum, this should now be an easy fix :)

GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

wildbill

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:33 am
good to hear you got that one under control pretty quick. now for the factory exhaust - so you think the exhaust note  sounds alright

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: March 03, 2014, 03:13:58 am
  That would do it !   

ScooterBob

• Grand Gearhead
  • Yeah - I get it ....
Reply #19 on: March 03, 2014, 10:54:19 am
Interesting that with ALL the trouble that was had with crankcase vent hoses on the previous bikes, you'd THINK the boys over there could figure out hose lengths. GSS - You ought to get a medal (or some free stuff!!) for rebuilding a brand new bike just to make it run ......  :-\
Spare the pig iron - spoil the part!

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: March 03, 2014, 01:49:59 pm
That was a hell of a kink! >:( Totally unacceptable! Makes you wonder how they put over 7 miles on it before delivery.  Must have pushed it. :o
Nice job "straightening out" the problem, and especially happy that's all it was!  :)
'12 C5 Classic

bugtussle

• Scooter
Reply #21 on: March 03, 2014, 03:12:49 pm
Excellent info, thanks for that! Can you confirm if the GT has sealed spokes/rims or not? Or are we using tubes in the tubeless tires?

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #22 on: March 03, 2014, 04:34:04 pm
Interesting that with ALL the trouble that was had with crankcase vent hoses on the previous bikes, you'd THINK the boys over there could figure out hose lengths. GSS - You ought to get a medal (or some free stuff!!) for rebuilding a brand new bike just to make it run ......  :-\

+1 !......  OR at least some chrome or black shocks !    D'oh ! ::)   Sorry GSS,  Just not personally feeling 'em.  ;)

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: March 03, 2014, 06:28:29 pm
Excellent info, thanks for that! Can you confirm if the GT has sealed spokes/rims or not? Or are we using tubes in the tubeless tires?
SEALED SPOKES?  I cant imagine going tubeless in a laced wheel. Does anyone really do this?

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: March 03, 2014, 06:53:26 pm
Congrats on the new bike. Wish they hadn't taken so long to get here. I had to give up on mine.
The seat mount looks like the one on my Guzzi. Does your cable had a lock at the end?
It's a pretty good bet that if the bike has wire wheels, it has tubes. There are a few very rare exceptions. I'm sure this isn't one of them. The show bikes had the same Pirelli Sport Demons my Guzzi has, although different wheel sizes. They have tubes. They are great tires, I love mine. I get 6500 miles out of the rear and at 11,000, the front still has a few miles left on it. does yours have the same tires?
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: March 03, 2014, 06:58:26 pm
SEALED SPOKES?  I cant imagine going tubeless in a laced wheel. Does anyone really do this?

Yes, there are a few bikes that have spoked rims and tubeless tires.  There are also some aftermarket rims like this available and some kits to do it.  You can also DIY it through several methods.

All that said, I very much doubt the RE GT has tubeless spoked wheels.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #26 on: March 03, 2014, 07:21:30 pm
The only factory bike I know of that has tubeless spoke wheels are the top end BMW GS series bikes like my friends 2013 GS1200R.  I believe I remember him saying they are $800 a wheel when we were talking about them over last summer.

Scottie J

boggy

• Grand Gearhead
  • Karma Ultra: 7
Reply #27 on: March 03, 2014, 10:59:10 pm
The bike looks fantastic.  There's an article in Cycle World this month.  I think these GTs are going to be popular.  What a bummer (but zero suprise) that you have to do maintenance on a zero mile Enfield.  It really does take the right kind of owner to appreciate these machines.
2007 AVL
2006 DRZ400SM

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #28 on: March 03, 2014, 11:21:38 pm
That's what makes you love 'em, just like those hi-maintenance girls you love so much! It gives them personality!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: March 03, 2014, 11:24:10 pm
That's what makes you love 'em, just like those hi-maintenance girls you love so much! It gives them personality!
Bare

Yeah, but I gave up on those kinds of girls a loooong time ago.  ;)

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 03, 2014, 11:55:32 pm
Congratulations GSS for the beautiful Continental GT you got. The fuel line kink was just REs way of introducing itself to you. Look forward to reading more of your ventures on it.

The article in Cycle World that Boggy mentioned is "CHAI RACER - Riding the New Royal Enfield in Its Native Indian Habitat" by Gary Inman. It is not a review of the bike but more of riding experience in India on GT and it is a good read with a nice way of penning his journey with such sentences .... 'It is the Royal Enfield Continental GT that is a four-stroke dose of Valium' ..... 'Every time I park and walk back to GT, it is gleaming like a jewel dropped in a plowed field' ....   and more.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2014, 12:20:48 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 04, 2014, 02:16:40 am
Thanks! Those are indeed Pirelli Sport Demons....very nice looking size and fit....and they have tubes.

I actually had fun doing the trouble-shooting, but agree that it is completely unacceptable to do such a poor job with design and assembly of a simple fuel hose.  It thought we were going to burn out the starter or destroy the sprag during the initial attempts to start at Marty's shop.

Anyway, now I know where to find everything on the bike!  A 7" headlight swap comes next, and I will get rid of the rear license plate and move in the rear turn signals once my plates come in.....will post photos at that time.

The bar ends have a nice plastic ring where you can mount bar end mirrors.  I had a pair of tiny aluminum ones that fit perfectly, but I am going to look for larger ones.

GHG and ScooterBob, I don't need freebies, but nice chrome coils would look much nicer than the yellow painted ones!

Bare, the release cable is inside the left cover and the cover has a lock.....although it would still be pretty easy to force open.

GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 04, 2014, 11:50:42 pm
Yeah, but I gave up on those kinds of girls a loooong time ago.  ;)

Yeah, I've found it's a lot better to be the hi-maintenance guy!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #33 on: March 05, 2014, 11:08:08 am
  ;D

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #34 on: March 05, 2014, 05:42:05 pm
  ;) oh my! I didn't realize there were "low" maintenance girls...I should do my shopping more thoroughly.
GSS , congrats on your new bike and thanks for all the new "fix her" ???? up tips.
Cheers
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

ROVERMAN

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 05, 2014, 06:11:40 pm
Hey GSS, my dealer dumped the license plate abortion before anyone had the chance to see it! Now thats an RE guy. ;D ;D ;D
Roverman & the GREen B.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #36 on: March 05, 2014, 07:31:47 pm
  ;) oh my! I didn't realize there were "low" maintenance girls...I should do my shopping more thoroughly.

Those of us who know don't leave them on the market long ;)

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 05, 2014, 09:22:24 pm
Took me awhile to find one, but what a treasure!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 04:57:20 am
I pulled off the humongous "license plate" and restored some harmony.....fender extenders will go next.

Next up were some bar ends that I had picked up a few years ago and couldn't find any use for them.  These were a perfect fit on the plastic rings on the bar end weights......they are a bit small but will do until I find something better.

The US headlight is indeed dorky.  Looking closely at WildBill's bike, my suspicion is that our entire bucket is different.  His bucket has a single ring while our's has a two ring unit similar to a C5/B5.  I have an 7" light and an innner/outer ring set coming soon.  I will post photos if the swap is successful, otherwise I will wait until I can pick up a complete 7" GT headlight unit.

Compared to the very nice looking rectangular turn signals on the Australian and Indian bikes, we received small round turn signals with a DOT stamp.  These are smaller and a little bit less refined compared to the C5/B5 units.  Here are some photos.

GSS

« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 04:59:43 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

JVS

• Grand Gearhead
  • I love chicken
Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 09:07:53 am
Wow, nice looking mirrors, almost like the aftermarket ones we saw on the promotional Contis. By the way, are you planning to change the turn signals with some smaller/sleek ones? The bike will look so much better with some sleek turn signals (Just my opinion  ;)). You can probably get them off E-bay for around $USD20.
Sons continuing wars, our fathers were enemies

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 10:54:57 am
The US headlight is indeed dorky.  Looking closely at WildBill's bike, my suspicion is that our entire bucket is different.  His bucket has a single ring while our's has a two ring unit similar to a C5/B5.  I have an 7" light and an innner/outer ring set coming soon.  I will post photos if the swap is successful, otherwise I will wait until I can pick up a complete 7" GT headlight unit.

Compared to the very nice looking rectangular turn signals on the Australian and Indian bikes, we received small round turn signals with a DOT stamp.  These are smaller and a little bit less refined compared to the C5/B5 units.

Wow, you're right about that headlight bucket - what a difference between them.  Stupid DOT.  Seems strange about the turn signals, too - they're turn signals!  Little yellow lights that flash!  Why do they have to be different?  Oh well...

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:35 pm
Wow, you're right about that headlight bucket - what a difference between them.  Stupid DOT.  Seems strange about the turn signals, too - they're turn signals!  Little yellow lights that flash!  Why do they have to be different?  Oh well...

Again, I believe the US DOT has size restrictions for turn signals.  And again, each state is different, but those little "low-profile" turn signals you see are illegal in some states due to being too small.  But then again, you have states like here in Colorado, that you don't even need turn signals to be street legal.  The use of hand signals is perfectly acceptable here and so I chose not to install turn signals on the Blackhawk.  But when it boils down to it, those turn signals are just as replaceable as any other item on the bike.  :)

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:46:27 pm
Again, I believe the US DOT has size restrictions for turn signals.  And again, each state is different, but those little "low-profile" turn signals you see are illegal in some states due to being too small.  But then again, you have states like here in Colorado, that you don't even need turn signals to be street legal.  The use of hand signals is perfectly acceptable here and so I chose not to install turn signals on the Blackhawk.  But when it boils down to it, those turn signals are just as replaceable as any other item on the bike.  :)

Scottie J

I always yank off the turn signals on all my bikes. My state doesn't require them either, and they are a big PIA with all their wiring and associated crap-ola. Bike is much cleaner without them.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

heloego

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 02:49:22 pm
Just from the pic of your bucket, the 5" DOT POS assembly looks no different than the one that came on my C5. If so, the 7" kit should work out just fine.
'12 C5 Classic

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 05:25:53 pm
No denying it, I am yearning for a GT. A couple of improvemnts photos suggest to me: I think most people will get rid of the over large muffler. I was very surprised that my bike runs so well with a NON-Standard Silencer. My Pre owned 2010 G5 deluxe came with a 1960's British "Cocktail Shaker" reverse cone megaphone, with only a flat plate with holes for a baffle. It is louder than stock, but pleasant to me. This indicates that Enfield EFI systems WILL map less restrictive silencers than those with cat-converters, made for the bikes. I think you could choose about any muffler with some baffling that will fit. Up-turned is necessary not to drag. A less bulky one will allow rear wheel hub adjustments to be made a lot easier.
   I also noticed the rear set pegs have downward pointing "drag Guards", my last bike came with shorter ones, & I found even them to be hazardous & removed them. My pants legs kept getting caught on mine when I pulled away from standing starts. Your pegs are already so high you are never likely to drag them so the Guards aren't really necessary.
   I would surely love to get my hands on one of the GT's,  Have fun!

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #45 on: March 08, 2014, 02:55:29 am
The turn signals are not too bad, but the non-US ones do look nicer.  The headlight will still end up showing a double ring with the 7" headlight inner/outer rings, but should look a lot nicer.

RE has made a beautiful bike with very nice improvements.  The seating position is nice and the height is excellent......exactly the same as my C5 with larger tires and 19" wheel, putting it in the range of a G5/B5.

The drag guards on the rear set pegs actually unscrew and and I have taken those off.....took all of 30 seconds!

I did send a PM to Kevin asking him to alert RE about the kinked hose......will look forward to what he has to say.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:37:10 am by GSS »
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #46 on: March 16, 2014, 03:05:27 am
Added photos of rear-set foot peg "drag guards" unscrewed.....looks much cleaner now, and as Craig mentioned, these are too high to ever touch the ground!

2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs:

gizzo

• Grand Gearhead
  • purple people
Reply #47 on: April 08, 2014, 10:58:00 am
Hi guys. I'm new to the forum, and to Enfield ownership so am trawling around reading all the GT threads, of course  ;D . I picked my GT up about 3 weeks ago and done 1000km so far. Love it but have fixed a bunch of things already, junked some bits that aren't needed. I think GSS is right, those 'hero knobs' seem too high to be any use. The centre stand is the first thing to touch down in my experience and then only over on the edge of the tyres over a bump in a corner. On a smooth track it might be different. This thing can hack a corner, for sure. 8)
simon from south Australia
Continental GT
Pantah
DR250
DRZ400SM
C90
GSX250E

phoenixt

• Grease Monkey
  • "All that is rare is for the rare" Nietzsche
Reply #48 on: April 09, 2014, 02:00:56 pm
GSS, I have noticed that the hose on my Continental is mildly crimped compared to yours.  I am thinking about replacing the hose with a longer one as it appears you have done. What size hose did you purchase? Also the how hard was it to reconnect the tank? Is what type of clamp is there at the tank end?

Thanks
Phoenixt
“Those who have a 'why' to live, can bear with almost any 'how'.”
― Viktor E. Frankl

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #49 on: April 10, 2014, 03:03:18 am
Two bolts under the seat hold the tank down, standard hose clamps at both ends of the hose.
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #50 on: April 11, 2014, 05:23:21 am
Phoenixt,
It is a 5/16" inner diameter fuel injection hose and you need about 1 foot.  The connector at the fuel tank is a fairly standard automotive fuel connector that pulls off by pressing on the sides, and clicks back on when you push it in to reconnect. The hose mounts to this connector with standard metal hose clamps. I replaced these clamps as well as the OEM screws were slipping when I tried to reinstall.

Regards,

GSS
2019 Himalayan Snow
Previous REs: