Author Topic: Engine Hunting?  (Read 8201 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #30 on: March 08, 2014, 11:45:19 pm
It would be good enough if you shut it off with the key and coast in to a stop with the clutch in.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #31 on: March 09, 2014, 04:50:21 pm
Thanks ace I did wonder that. My bike is now getting progressivly worse. I thought i got it running ok on the 27.5 pilot but not quite right.. So I thought i would adjust the needle. I highered it to the 2nd grove from the top. It started to hunt. So then as i mentioned yesterday. I then adjusted it onto the richest position the bottom. This is when things take a turn for the worse. It then starts to cut out. No problem, I put it back into the 3rd grove from the bottom. Still cuts out whilst riding. Then I put the needle back into the 2nd grove from the bottom. It still cuts out. Then I think I'll put the 30 pilot back in. So i re adjust the air mixture screw and throttle stop. And the bike is still cutting out. So then I think I'll higher it to the 3rd grove from the bottom. And to my surprise. It then starts to idle very fast. And no adjust ment other then closing the mixture screw to stop it works. I then check all jets are tight and they are. So then I adjust the needle back the the second groove from the bottom. Set the mixture screws to 3 turns out. The bike then wont idle. So I then steadily turn the throttle stop screw up. I get a nice idel. But it still is not great pulling away. it starts playing up at low throttle openings and eventually cuts out a couple of times on the way home. I suppose the issue is around the 1/4 mark or under. But having tried the 27.5 pilot jet and the 30 pilot jet. The only thing I can think to do is. Try the P2 needle jet? But this is now starting to exhaust my carb tuning knowledge. And I have tuned carbs on other bike before. It seems to me the logical approach itsn't working. I'm beginning to wonder if it is the carb.

Any suggestions would be good? As moving the needle doesn't seem to make a blind bit of difference anymore.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #32 on: March 09, 2014, 04:54:48 pm
Have you checked the quality of the fuel and make sure you don't have any water in your gas tank?  Something has got o be amiss if it runs good one day and like total crap the next.  Perhaps the slide is worn and letting in too much air from time to time.  Have you checked to make sure you don't have any air leaks in the mounting flange area between the carb and the head?

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #33 on: March 09, 2014, 05:48:34 pm
Make sure you have good gas with no water in it, and put on the P2 and see how that works.
What is your air filter?
Are there any exhaust leaks or intake leaks? Check the rubber hose for cracks or splits or whatever.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #34 on: March 09, 2014, 06:27:46 pm
I have checked the inlet mountings for leaks before. But will check again. I haven't checked the inlet mountings today. The exhaust is sealed in. I have tried the P2 and it cuts out the same whilst riding, even worse. I didn't get as far. My bike is now down to reserve. So I may completely empty it and make sure it is clean. The flow of fuel is still good.

I have tried putting in the stock needle jet P0.8. Now the bike revs up real high from starting. No matter how you adjust the throttle stop screw or the mixture screw.

The needle jets have been hard to get in or out. I am wondering if the carb body is warped or something! Now the slide gets stuck up as well. I've never had so many issues in one go with a carb!

The slide doesn't move around in the body.

On my last RE before this one. The Mikarb was a nightmare. Last time I changed it for a Amal Monobloc. Which was reliable and did give an performance increase thanks to the bigger aperture.

So guys I have decided, time to ditch the Mikarb. Game over...Unless you think I should keep trying to get it right?

The tappet adjustment was checked today.
The air filter I use is a S&B pancake air filter.
So do I go with a TM32? Or an Amal Monobloc, MK1 concentric premier, Or MK2 concentric?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 06:34:38 pm by Dave1 »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 09, 2014, 08:25:59 pm
The TM32 is an awesome carb. It needs a larger manifold to fit it. You can get a rubber one from Sudco for pretty cheap, or you can get an alloy one from Hitchcock or from me for a higher price.
We know how to jet them.
I think it is the best carb available for the Bullet. I don't use Amal. They have too many problems and they cost more.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #36 on: March 09, 2014, 08:49:39 pm
Thanks Ace, I am going to get a TM32-1.

The jetting information I have found so far for an Enfield 500, though for an electra. Is Pilot jet - 30
Needle jet - P4
Main Jet - 185
Needle - 5FP17

Is that ok for a 500 Iron barrel?

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #37 on: March 09, 2014, 08:56:55 pm
Thanks Ace, I am going to get a TM32-1.

The jetting information I have found so far for an Enfield 500, though for an electra. Is Pilot jet - 30
Needle jet - P4
Main Jet - 185
Needle - 5FP17

Is that ok for a 500 Iron barrel?
It is a good starting point for a 500 at sea level. It may require some minor changes, depending on temperatures, and on the individual nature of your bike.

I would recommend getting a P6 and a 190 for cooler weather.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 08:58:56 pm by ace.cafe »

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #38 on: March 09, 2014, 09:12:05 pm
Thanks will do. Will the pilot jets from my Mikarb work in the TM32-1?

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #39 on: March 09, 2014, 09:17:19 pm
ignore this post
« Last Edit: March 09, 2014, 09:27:17 pm by Dave1 »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #40 on: March 09, 2014, 09:51:32 pm
Thanks will do. Will the pilot jets from my Mikarb work in the TM32-1?

Yes.

Dave1

• Grease Monkey
Reply #41 on: March 09, 2014, 10:01:52 pm
I think I can order the whole kit from a company called MotoCarb. http://www.motocarb.co.uk/

Which includes the throttle cable, rubber manifold, carb jetted to suit around the £183 mark! The last guy in the UK to order did order four extra jets for that price. So I may ask for a P4 and P6 needle jet and 180 and 190 main jet.