Author Topic: Thunderbird 500 ??  (Read 10132 times)

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #30 on: March 02, 2014, 03:59:48 pm
Gremlin: My wife has one as well. (GV250) metal skirted fenders, and, performance that rivals my B5.  she's very happy with it

I leave it with the battery in over the Winter and take it out on those few but good riding days....So far just Oil changes and the occasional  chain adjustments...That 250 isn't a bad little engine either as I'm comparing it to the previous rebel ... GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #31 on: March 02, 2014, 10:46:35 pm
French does refer to the cut of the potatoes, think French cut green beans, long thin pieces.  And I believe Belgians are credited with developing the twice fried cooking method.

There's a French fry museum???   There are two?????  Two more things added to my bucket list :)

Scott

In the interest of the RE brotherhood an easy checklist to authenticate french fries (aka frieten):
The most important characteristic, a crunchy jacket with a soft inside (like a Bulleteer) cannot be achieved without proper thickness and the double fry.
-Should be long (4-6") with a crosssection of 3/8"*3/8".
-Pre-fried at 284°F, cooled off, final fry at 356°F.
-Best fat is mineral oil (arachide, corn, sunflower).
-Proper color is golden brown (achieved in the second fry).
-Salt neutralizes fat, so it is a good thing here.  ;)

Would be lovely to see a couple of Enfields in front of a frituur csq friterie. Even a Thunderbird would be acceptable.  ;D
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #32 on: March 02, 2014, 11:17:43 pm
Would be lovely to see a couple of Enfields in front of a frituur csq friterie. Even a Thunderbird would be acceptable.  ;D

Hey, hey, c'mon Royalista!  None of that here - take it to the phototag thread!  ;)

I heard a story about a Canadian political official (I think... it's been a long time) with a language problem.  I can't remember; I guess it doesn't matter.  Anyway, the gist of it was, you can get what are known as "sheep fries", which are the fried testicles of a sheep.  This guy, or whoever, when offered this tasty treat, said he preferred "french fries"...

Anyway, I heard that from a French-speaker in Canada, and he thought it was hi-larious...

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #33 on: March 03, 2014, 01:42:57 pm
Cant comment on the Canadian trivia, but can tell you IT IS -30 CELSIUS AGAIN ----------(22 below in you terms ) -----FRIG..............................ID       ENOUGH ALREADY
Which leaves  California dreaming and motorcycle obession as the only sane alternatives:
So how about this? Grant the t bird is not everyones cup of tea.  And for the record (again) the C 5 just doesn't do it for me.  However, the Continental GT is getting some serious kudos in international reviews for handling and "real world " performance (meaning it can go faster than 70 and corners /tracks really well thanks to the "featherbed" type dual frame. )
So how about the rolling chassis/drive train  of a a GT  (535 spiffed up cams, lightened flywheel , front and rear discs, aluminum rims) with the body work fenders and "nacelle" of the venerable G 5 .   A parts bin solution resulting in what I think , would arguably be the  best retro bike available with practucality , functionality , style and vintage cachee.  .   
Just saying is all...............  Not trying to start a war.

Nigel

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #34 on: March 03, 2014, 03:04:49 pm
Now that'd be something!  A GT with the iconic nacelle of the RE and upright bars. 

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #35 on: March 03, 2014, 04:16:31 pm

So how about the rolling chassis/drive train  of a a GT  (535 spiffed up cams, lightened flywheel , front and rear discs, aluminum rims) with the body work fenders and "nacelle" of the venerable G 5 .   A parts bin solution resulting in what I think , would arguably be the  best retro bike available with practucality , functionality , style and vintage cachee.  .   
Just saying is all...............  Not trying to start a war.

Nigel

THAT sounds more like it .... And a good idea.  I wouldn't doubt that they go to that frame in the future, if not the motor as well for the  rest of the bikes. Perhaps when and IF they come out with a parallel twin.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

nigelogston@gmail.com

• Bulleteer
Reply #36 on: March 03, 2014, 04:48:47 pm
Why wait for spring....do it now.    All the R and D is done , the parts all exist ,and this would be an excellent horizontal proliferation into the "mid size " market with a real looking motorcyle (no offence to GT lovers;   I like it too) that gives us immediate highway capability in North American terms "For the American Highway"    Also apropos Scotty's ringing endorsement, I would just add, slide the pegs a bit forward on that rolling chassis so you are back to the standard seating to go with the old bars.    You heard it here first !  (Hope Kevin and RE India are listening )
(If you think about, this would be a big step toward the "Juiced Uce" ACE Cafe is working on and just sets the bar a little higher with the stock package to work from.  All good.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #37 on: March 03, 2014, 05:58:09 pm
The only limitation I can see is that reports so far say the 535 isn't that much better than the standard 500 UCE.  Then again, probably a better base engine to hot rod.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #38 on: March 03, 2014, 06:16:51 pm
  And..... I would think, from a marketing stand point perhaps. The Factory "Special" GT, would not be AS special.... at least for the time being.
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #39 on: March 20, 2014, 03:22:32 pm
I actually think the T-Bird would be a bad idea in the U.S. The whole appeal of RE to me is because it is a vintage bike. A real genuine vintage bike that you can still buy brand new. The T-Bird looks much like a Japanese cruiser, especially the Suzuki S40. One of the reasons I am losing interest in Japanese bikes is that they have become too modern. That made RE an attractive alternative. A real motorcycle made of real metal that looks and sounds like what a motorcycle should look and sound like. I have to admit that I would have preferred a carb, but the EPA is to blame for that, not RE. But I would hate to see RE become too "modern"
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #40 on: March 20, 2014, 03:36:32 pm
Teh S40 and its previous incarnation, the Savage, are nice bikes with belt drive and a big 650 single that sell in extremely low numbers.  Nothing wrong with it, it just doesn't sell.  I suspect you're right and the Thunderbird would suffer the same fate here in the US.  There's a used one at the local Triumph dealer that I think has been there more than a year.

Scott