Author Topic: vibration in bars and pegs...  (Read 6068 times)

Joel-in-dallas

• Grease Monkey
on: February 20, 2014, 12:14:00 am
Guys any recommendations on how to reduce the vibrations at 55-65 miles per hour on my 2011 G5??

I know vibration is to be expected, but its a bit aggravating.

Has anyone tried this combination?
http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/footrests/vibration-isolating-footpeg-set.html

http://nfieldgear.com/enfield-store/aftermarket-parts-accessories/grips-controls/world-s-most-comfortable-grips.html

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: February 20, 2014, 12:21:12 am
Someone tried those foot pegs and got worse vibrations than stock.

1) Get some ProGrip Gel grips.
2) Ride it more.  The more it breaks in, the less it vibrates.
3) Get an aftermarket exhaust.  I get way fewer vibes with my Emgo reverse cone muffler than I did with the stock one and it sounds about the same.  Lighter too.
4) Get the engine hot and then turn it off.  Loosen up all the engine mounting bolts; not sloppy loose but loose enough for a little movement.  Start the engine and torque each mounting bolt while the engine is running.  This helps to get rid of any internal stress in the frame/engine mounting.
5) Last, you can go one tooth higher on the front sprocket if you like.

Scott

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #2 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:15 am
Do not get the foot pegs!  They are a really nice quality but the vibrations were bad!

How many miles do you have on the bike? Sometimes it takes 2500 miles for the bike to break in fully.  Otherwise +1 for the higher sprocket recommended by Ducati Scotty, as well as the gel grips.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 20, 2014, 01:50:27 am
In addition to all the above check the bolts holding the fuel tank.

On mine I had to add a washer to the longest bolt connecting both sides of the frame to still vibrations.
moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

GSS

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 20, 2014, 03:16:17 am
Another thing.....nice, heavy bar-end Napoleon mirrors bolted on to the outside of the existing bar-end weights have eliminated even a hint of vibration from my bars!  One other solution is to get handlebars with a cross-bar as seen in some of older off-road REs.

GSS
2022 Continental GT 650 Dux Deluxe
2019 Himalayan Snow
2019 Interceptor 650 - Chrome...off the first boat!
Previous REs:
2021 Meteor 350 Supernova Blue
2014 Continental GT 535 - Red...lowest VIN off the first boat!
2010 Classic 500 - Teal Chrome

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #5 on: February 20, 2014, 03:49:42 am
Joel;
Carefully check all of the engine mount bolts/nuts and the cylinder head steady to make sure they are fully tight.

I rode my G5 for I don't know how many miles thinking, "Yup.  It's a big single and it's supposed to vibrate."  Then one day I looked at the lower rear engine mount nut and it didn't look right.
It seemed to have a gap between it and the frame.

Putting a wrench on it, it turned without any resistance at all!  :o

Looking deeper into it, it turns out that the bolt had broken inside the hole so although the end was still in the right place, it was providing no support at all.

Anyway, after replacing the broken bolt with a high strength heat treated thru bolt and high strength nuts and torquing it to the service manual specs almost all of the vibration vanished.

I can truly say my G5 vibrates less than any motorcycle I've ever owned except for my BMW K-75 with its outstanding counterbalancer.

Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #6 on: February 20, 2014, 08:58:17 am
+1 on checking and torquing your fasteners.  Heavier bar end weights will absorb some vibration.  Wearing thicker soled shoes and riding gloves also help.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:56 pm
What everyone else said.  I personally have been using these Dual Sport Pro Grips.  They are very soft and comfy and do a really good job cutting down on vibrations.  An added plus is that they are also one of their more affordable grips.  Not to mention they do NOT get slippery when your hands are sweaty or wet from rain.

http://www.bikebandit.com/progrip-714-dual-sport-motorcycle-grips

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: February 20, 2014, 06:29:38 pm
An 18T sprocket changed the vibration points in mine, so it did help. By the time mine had about 4000 miles on the bike, the vibrations had reduced a lot. the last year or so I rode the bike, the vibes were just a very pleasant minor shake reminding me nicely that I was riding a proper thumper. I did have Napoleans on the bar ends, but I had cafe bars too. and rear set pegs so my bike had little standard stuff to shake.
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: February 20, 2014, 06:37:34 pm
I've got a fair number of miles on my bike, over 13,000, but I've got the stock size sprocket.  With Napoleon mirrors and gel grips I can ride at any speed up to 70mph without excessive vibration.  Past that and it gets viby, but I wouldn't generally be going that fast for too long anyway.

Scott

gremlin

• Grand Gearhead
  • "Do one thing each day that scares you"
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 07:52:04 pm
Guys any recommendations on how to reduce the vibrations at 55-65 miles per hour on my 2011 G5??

Ride with the wind to your back.    ;)
1996 Trophy 1200
2009 Hyosung GV250
2011 RE B5

eatworksleepdie

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: May 27, 2014, 07:11:18 pm
My wife and I went for a long ride yesterday and I thought my hands were going to fall off. After a few hours, it's unbearable how bad the vibration is in the bars. Between 60-65, you start to really feel it, 65 and up is so bad it makes me reconsider my purchase.  :'( I now have almost 1400 miles on it, and put about 250 in yesterday.
It's bad. Real bad.
It's slightly funny too because I've now ridden 3 RE's. 2 2012's (the wife and mine) and a 2013 from my dealership when I test rode it. All three were totally different in the vibration aspect. The '13 had horrible vibes in the pegs, Mine it's in the bars, and my wife's bike is tolerable/manageable in both the bars and the pegs.
An internet search for "How to stop handle bar vibration motorcycle" gave me this nice bit of info plus some others: http://www.xs11.com/xs11-info/tech-tips/modifications/other/147-how-to-eliminate-handlebar-vibration.html

Does anyone have any RE experience with filling the bars with BB's, or rubber caulk, or a combination? I think I'm leaning toward stuffing the bars with some BB's, but wanted to get the communities opinion.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: May 27, 2014, 07:25:30 pm
Putting anything in the bars is difficult since the ends are threaded and non-removable.  If you put anything liquidy in make sure you remove the switch gear first and tape over the locator holes.

Before you try any of that, try some different grips.  I'm partial to ProGrip gels myself. Also, I notice I get much less vibration with my Emgo reverse cone muffler than I did with the stock one.

Scott

eatworksleepdie

• Scooter
Reply #13 on: May 27, 2014, 07:43:59 pm
yeah, I'm wondering if the exhaust is an issue causing extra vibration on my bike. Right where the cat is on my stock exhaust is VERY blue. You can see exactly where the cat is. There was obviously a manufacturers issue when it came time to assemble my pipe as it definitely should look like that after 1400k (it started to get bad around 500 miles). My wife's bike has about 2000 miles give or take, less discoloration in the pipe at the cat, and less vibration. I was thinking that maybe there's more back pressure on my bike causing vibration? I've been holding off on getting the EFI pipe for whatever reason. My local dealership has one ready for me. We plan on putting it on in a few weeks.
Thanks for the tip on the threaded bar ends. maybe I'll pour them in the locator pin holes if it comes to that! My local dealership ordered some grips for me last week. Based off of the amount of shake/vibration produced while riding, I think it's still going to be necessary to stuff the bars with something.
I wish I could safely video tape it to show you just how bad it really is. Maybe I can borrow my friends gopro one day.
I've been riding some form of a motorized bike for almost 30 years. Dirt bikes, road bikes etc and this thing is over the top.

Carlsberg Wordsworth

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:02 pm
When I took my B5 for a test run it was vibe central and I don't think I even hit 40mph. Didn't know if this was normal or not, as 1st big single bike.

When I picked it up it was completely different. When I checked tyre pressures they were quite a bit over recommended. I lowered to 18/28 as per manual and noticed more vibration. I've since gone to 24/29 and all seems pretty smooth. I'm not saying it's the cause, but might be worth a quick check.

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #15 on: May 27, 2014, 11:26:03 pm
EWSD
I assume you have checked the head steady to see if it is cracked or its fasteners are loose?
The other engine mount bolts have been known to be loose or to fail.

If either of these areas have cracked or loose parts the engine vibration will be very noticeable.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

Bulletman

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2011 - C5 Classic Black
Reply #16 on: May 27, 2014, 11:48:00 pm
I've got the Napolean mirrors and the soft gel grips on the bike since it had about 2500 miles on it, the vibrations did die down a lot..I've also got the reverse cone emgo on the bike..similar to Ducati Scotties....I'm at 8500 miles now and just barely any vibrations.
"A Blast from my Past"
Black C5 2011

eatworksleepdie

• Scooter
Reply #17 on: June 26, 2014, 08:18:31 pm
Some updates. I put the grips and EFI pipe on. It didn't make much difference, if any unfortunately. Those vibration isolation grips that are sold on nfield gear didn't do anthing notable for me. FYI- They are the same Kuryakyn grips that others sell for less. Also to note, the RE bar is NOT a 7/8 bar come to find out. It's like, 1/16 under... lame. Also the OEM throttle has too much slop between the bar & the plastic throttle casing that the grip goes on. I highly suggest if anyone gets those grips to fill the space with a few layers of Teflon tape. The same stuff you put on threads to seal gas pipes etc. Just enough to fill the gap & still allow the throttle to return to idle. My bike was much much worse with those ISO grips on without the tape.
So the search continues to make my bike ride-able without loosing feeling in my hands.

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #18 on: June 26, 2014, 08:30:29 pm
Try a pair of ProGrip Gel grips. They're $10-15 at almost every Moto shop or online.  Get the single density kind made of just rubber.  And they fit on the RE with no problems or adjustments.  I like the713 model but they are a tad big if you have small hands.

Scott

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #19 on: June 26, 2014, 08:35:45 pm
I use the ProGrip 714 Dual Sport grips and I barely notice any vibration in my grips/bars.  Certainly not enough to cause any discomfort.  Also, I noticed when I intsalled my rear set controls a few weeks ago I barely get any vibrations in my feet now too.  Seriously, I was completely caught by surprise the first time I rode the bike to work down the freeway with the new controls.  With the factory footrests my feet were falling asleep after about 30-45 minutes of riding down the freeway.  With the new rear sets my feet barely vibrate at all.  Now my problem is my custom seat isn't comfy enough and my butt falls asleep.  LOL   :D

Scottie J

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #20 on: June 26, 2014, 08:37:25 pm
The 714 is awesome but even bigger than the 713.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #21 on: June 26, 2014, 08:42:26 pm
Maybe that's why I like them so much, I have long skinny fingers.  Well, long skinny fingers with bulbous knuckles.  LOL    ;D

krimp

• Grease Monkey
Reply #22 on: June 26, 2014, 08:52:35 pm
EWSD, if you haven't give Ducati Scotty's suggestion a try, then you may be missing out on the solution you are looking for.

Get the engine hot and then turn it off.  Loosen up all the engine mounting bolts; not sloppy loose but loose enough for a little movement.  Start the engine and torque each mounting bolt while the engine is running.  This helps to get rid of any internal stress in the frame/engine mounting.
Living in beautiful Colorado Springs, Co.
2014 Cream C5

suitcasejefferson

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: June 26, 2014, 09:19:05 pm
Uh, why did you buy an Enfield? Vibration was a big part of my reason. I got so sick of those electric smooth Japanese bikes, I did consider a 2003 or older H-D Sportster, but decided to go with the Enfield, as I have always loved vintage British bikes, and once owned a '66 Triumph. If anything I would like a little more vibration.
"I am a motorcyclist, NOT a biker"
"Buy the ticket, take the ride" Hunter S. Thompson

AussieDave

• Grand Gearhead
  • How does this thing work?..Ouch..oh..
Reply #24 on: June 29, 2014, 07:23:48 am
My  girl likes the vibration.  :)
"Glorious,stirring sight! The poetry of motion! The real way to travel! The only way to travel! ... O bliss ! O poop poop ! Oh my! Oh my!" - Toad of Toad Hall.

Portland Bullet

• Scooter
  • 2011 B5
Reply #25 on: July 01, 2014, 08:31:17 pm
Uh, why did you buy an Enfield?

There's a question I have been wanting to ask for a while now. Ain't no fixing a thing that is what it is. Love it or moooooove on.
The Portland Bullet
To Dream, to Live, to Ride

2011 B5 Bullet 500cc

Gypsyjon

• Grease Monkey
  • 201o G5 Deluxe Black & Chrome
Reply #26 on: July 03, 2014, 12:44:19 am
You want to experience some vibration?

Find an old BSA Victor...ride that baby for a while then your RE will feel like a Lazy Boy...

eatworksleepdie

• Scooter
Reply #27 on: July 29, 2014, 03:09:45 pm
EWSD
I assume you have checked the head steady to see if it is cracked or its fasteners are loose?
The other engine mount bolts have been known to be loose or to fail.

If either of these areas have cracked or loose parts the engine vibration will be very noticeable.

WINNER WINNER!
I should have asked what you were referring to when you referenced "head steady".

Finally, my bike is ride-able again! holy smokes that was a doozy. After tinkering around with tightening/loosening bolts etc.. Right before a long ride, I loosened some of the mounting bolts just messing around with vibration etc. It of course made it worse which was expected. But, I had a long ride to go on with a group and didn't have time to stop. This brought out the vibration a ton. Blessing in disguise was it also made the culprit rear it's ugly head! My Tank started getting more and more loose, and the vibration increased with the tank loosening. Got home and tightened down the tank and the front engine mounting bolts and viola!
I never noticed there was a bracket (the head steady) connecting the motor to the top of the frame where the tank/seat meet! so dumb of me. Anyway, yeah that was it. I finally don't want to wrap my bike around a tree in frustration anymore! haha.

Lesson learned. Don't trust any "factory" torqued nuts/bolts to save your life. Nothing has been tight on this bike. My wife and I have lost so many nuts/bolts from things just rattling off. Loctite stock anyone!?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #28 on: July 30, 2014, 06:09:56 am
Lesson 2: Blue LocTite.