Author Topic: Bullet over Bonnevilles  (Read 15624 times)

fyr

• Scooter
on: February 17, 2014, 07:47:27 pm
Hello all
As per my subject- i have an 07 bonnie. Last of the carbs. Its my second bonneville. Great bike
But my Enfield fascination never ceases.
I tried getting a test ride out of my local dealer but they dont have any for loan.
So my ride impression is zilch

I use my bonneville for transportation in summer- groceries- commute- errands- cottage runs (bad dirt roads) and my yearly tour of the NY Adks. I load it down with saddlebags. I dont cruise more than 120 kph (7o mph) i do however open it up n the twisties

So all this background for what- some questions-
What model bullet best suits my purpose b5 g5 or c5
I love the looks of the c5 right out of the box but never really see one with racks for panniers on rear.

Also wheel base and tire choice. I read somewhere that the g5 is better suited for loaded riding and tire choice

Anyhow. Just some questions to pass the month of feb away. I dont think id sell the bonnie- but a nice kickstart gas sipping enfield would look nice in me garage!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 08:10:30 pm
Sure, it will work for transportation.
You just have to accept the significantly lower power level. Enfield seems to want their bikes to be in the 20 hp range. They have been this way for a long time.  The good side is that the engine produces a large portion of its torque at low rpms , so it feels stronger than people expect from the low hp number. Where it gets noticed is at the higher cruising speeds, and the reduced ability to rapidly accelerate at those higher speeds, compared to more powerful bikes.

If you can accept it as what it is, and appreciate it's enjoyable aspects, it can open a world of motorcycling that's sort of like "smelling the roses". You are more inclined to notice the surroundings instead of flying past them in a blur.
It's different. We like it.

If you decide that you would like it to be a little faster, there are ways to make that happen. But for most situations it can do fine as it is.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 08:21:51 pm by ace.cafe »
Home of the Fireball 535 !

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 09:03:10 pm
Thanks Ace
Yeah, I can handle that.. I went from Ninja 900 to CBR600 (etc) to the Bonnie. My issue back then, Can I or do I want to handle less power.. 6 spd to 5 spd and all that... Well I regressed even more with my Ural.. But thats another story.
I had the chance to toot around on a CBR 125.. Gutless on slab, but the fun factor was way more than the cc's on the spec sheet.
So im looking at which of the three models are more adaptable.. I want to put hard metal panniers, Solo saddle and semi knob tires (Heidenau's)
Thansk for the reply!

Royalista

• phaneropter
  • Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 17, 2014, 09:19:22 pm
Engine wise all are the same.
Main difference is in the wheels. G5, E5, B5 have 19" F and R and have 17 tooth front sprocket which make them better suited for dirt and trail.

120 kph, -on a good day up to 130 kph-, is feasible on highways. If required that is, as it won't be as comfi as on the Bonnie. Definitely less so on anything else then road tires.
Yet, they're intended to look good on knobbies. They were born on those roads.  ;D

moriunt omnes pauci vivunt

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: February 17, 2014, 10:13:46 pm
Fyr,

As you have indicated you like the looks of the C5, it is just as capable of the dirt/trail as the others.  The preferred tire for such on most all of the current RE's is the Dunlop K70 (or clone).  It is available for the 19" front and 18" rear of the C5.  There are racks and metal panniers available for the C5 - usually on the "Military" versions.  They can be painted to match whatever color bike you chose.  (Seventh from the bottom of this page: http://www.hitchcocksmotorcycles.com/accessory-frame-luggage)  Our host's site does not indicate having them available at present.

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
Reply #5 on: February 17, 2014, 10:25:21 pm
...But my Enfield fascination never ceases.
Anyhow. Just some questions to pass the month of feb away. I dont think I'd sell the Bonnie- but a nice kickstart gas sipping Enfield would look nice in me garage!
Be sure to read the many threads on this forum so you have a better idea of what you will be getting into.  You should keep the Bonnie until you and the RE are one. 

Yes, the Enfields are a blast to ride, but more in need of wrenching than your Bonnie.
Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 17, 2014, 11:56:23 pm
I plan on keeping the T100
I let the first one go and wont make that mistake go.
As far as wrenching on it. I know ill be involved. I dont mjnd that. Im elbows deep in a top end rebuild of an 84 BMW R65.
However i dont want to be doing anything like that on a new or a couple o years old bike.
Ill be poking around here and other forum for insight and appreciate all the help i get along the way !

Ideally my Bullet will look like this- military green. Panniers. I ride in some parades for charity and work and there is a tie in from the past that id like to honour- my moms uncle was a despatch rider in WWII. He has passed but we have some photos of him and id like to get a bike as close as that as possible ( without buying a 75 yr old bike- which may happen one day ) :-)

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 12:08:29 am
  THAT narrows it down !.....   Pretty much to the C-5 Military.  Unless you want to do it from scratch to a B or a G5 ?   If you want new.....

Forum member Hansel did a REAL nice job on one....

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=16189.0
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 12:31:22 am by gashousegorilla »
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

mplayle

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 01:40:32 am

fyr

• Scooter
Reply #9 on: February 19, 2014, 08:29:02 pm
Great job
and that desert storm mentioned as well.. I did up my bonnie T100 with semi knob Heidineaus.. Worked slick on the dirt.. This gives me a goal!
Thans for the heads up

THAT narrows it down !.....   Pretty much to the C-5 Military.  Unless you want to do it from scratch to a B or a G5 ?   If you want new.....

Forum member Hansel did a REAL nice job on one....

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=16189.0

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 20, 2014, 12:11:27 am
Main difference is in the wheels. G5, E5, B5 have 19" F and R and have 17 tooth front sprocket which make them better suited for dirt and trail.

120 kph, -on a good day up to 130 kph-, is feasible on highways. If required that is, as it won't be as comfi as on the Bonnie. Definitely less so on anything else then road tires.
Yet, they're intended to look good on knobbies. They were born on those roads.  ;D

The gearing from stock is essentially the same with the 17T sprockets on the 19" wheels of the B5 and G5 and  the 18T sprocket on the 18" wheeled C5.
From my experience with the Triumph T100, I found the G5 to be the more comfortable of the two. However that may not be true on the other two Bullets. To be honest, cruising speeds between 105 and 112 will be all you can expect out of the Bullets, but the with the speedo error  I had on my Bonny which was about 10%, the actual difference won't be that much. The mileage will be, though!
Dunlop K70s will serve you well in off road situations as long as they're not real gnarly. And they work very well on the pavement. And at about $145 a set, they aren't going to kill you when you need new ones
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #11 on: February 20, 2014, 02:49:01 am
Great job
and that desert storm mentioned as well.. I did up my bonnie T100 with semi knob Heidineaus.. Worked slick on the dirt.. This gives me a goal!
Thans for the heads up

Nice...... instant Scrambler!   NOT that I don't think you should get a C-5 Military. You should !

Just sayin'..... THIS is kinda cool too.

http://dirtbikejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Triumph-Bonneville-Great-Escape-5.jpg

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #12 on: February 20, 2014, 04:07:47 am

Nice...... instant Scrambler!   NOT that I don't think you should get a C-5 Military. You should !

Just sayin'..... THIS is kinda cool too.

http://dirtbikejunkie.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/Triumph-Bonneville-Great-Escape-5.jpg

Very Steve McQueen.

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 20, 2014, 04:55:14 am
Very Steve McQueen.

A Jockey shiftin', barbed wire fence jumper..... for a mere 24 grand !

http://www.bikeexif.com/triumph-bonneville-2

hillntx

• Shriner Bulleteer
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2011 G5 Classic, 2004 Sixty-5, 2010 C5 Classic
Reply #14 on: February 20, 2014, 08:53:11 am
If you're comfortable cruising in the 60-70 mph range, then a Royal Enfield may be a good bike for you.  Having ridden a C5 and a G5 I would recommend either the B5 or G5 over the C5 if your looking to do more than in town or back road riding.  From my experience the G5 accelerates more easily above 70 mph than the C5 (the B5 is geared the same as the G5).  The C5 also feels smaller than the others.  Moving from an 800cc twin to a 500cc single is a noticeable drop in power and all the good things that come with it.

From my perspective getting the Royal Enfield won't really give you anything you don't already have except another but slightly less capable vintage English styled machine.  However, if you decide to get one I'd recommend the B5 with the solo seat sold through Nfield Gear.  The bike is sold in dark green, but you could also repaint the bike in olive drab plastidip to give it that more vintage military look.