Author Topic: Progressive International Motorcycle Show - Seattle  (Read 3858 times)

Norm

• Bulleteer
  • Ride it daily for best results.
on: February 16, 2014, 10:36:46 pm
I went to the big show today in Seattle and learned that there is a new dealer in town:  Scoot About, located less than 2 miles from home.  The lady said that the GT should arrive in April.  I hope they fully invest in RE and have lots of satisfied customers, especially at the new price points.  I snapped a photo of the B5.

The new Harley Street 500 was there (photo below).  I was not as impressed as I thought I would be, but it is nice looking.

The Honda CB500X looks pretty singular, and at 430# is probably a hoot to ride.  (Third photo)

But the real hooligan must be the new Yamaha FZ-09. 

Ride like you are invisible.
Arizona

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #1 on: February 17, 2014, 04:25:49 pm
I was there yesterday.  I agree on the Harley 500.  Really low and definitely looks like it was built to a price point.  I like the FZ09 but it looks just a little unfinished to me.  The BMW R Nine T was awesome!

Scott

Norm

• Bulleteer
Reply #2 on: February 17, 2014, 05:50:43 pm
I was there yesterday.  I agree on the Harley 500.  Really low and definitely looks like it was built to a price point.  I like the FZ09 but it looks just a little unfinished to me.  The BMW R Nine T was awesome!

Scott
Did you talk to the new RE dealer while you were there?

Wow, that new BMW R Ninety looks small!

The new Indians from Polaris are pretty cool looking and pretty expensive.

Suzuki's new GW250 (China built) was on display.
Arizona

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #3 on: February 18, 2014, 03:08:34 am
I did not stop to hat with the new RE dealer.  That new GW 250 is ok but nothing to drool over.

The BMW does look a bit small since the seat is so trim.  But sitting on the bike it feels nice and meaty.  If only the budget allowed....

And yeah, the Indians were great.  Swoopy, stylish', and bigger than god.  I sat on a few, really nice machines.  I really liked the Burt Munroe tribute streamliner they had there. 

While I was sitting on the Harley 500 there were two older HD fans there.  "Doesn't it feel light?"  It felt like a tank made of lead.  "Uh, for a Harley I guess."  I suspect it had a full tank of fuel, but for a bike where the whole tank was lower than my knee it felt really heavy.

Scott
« Last Edit: February 18, 2014, 04:18:37 am by Ducati Scotty »

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 18, 2014, 01:35:41 pm
I think the most ironic circumstance of motorcycles this quarter of a century is that Eicher Motors teamed up with Royal Enfield a couple years back.  Now, Eicher Motors also teamed with Polaris who builds the new Indians.  Before Enfield was sold to THE Inidans, Enfield also made Indian motorcycles.  Is everyone following along?  ???  ;D  Oh, and the NEW Indians......  Wow, they are an extremely over priced.......  Ummmm.  Bike?  No way I'd spend almost $20K on one of those.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #5 on: February 18, 2014, 05:16:47 pm
No way I'd spend almost $20K on one of those.

I think that's still cheaper than a Harley :P

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #6 on: February 18, 2014, 05:24:33 pm
Just looking at the GW again.  I think I figured out why I don't really like it.  The styling looks cheap and dated.  In a market that also has the TU250X, CBR 250, and Ninja 300, it's very solidly in last place of picks for a small bike.

Scott

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 18, 2014, 05:54:27 pm
It reminds me of that godawful ugly Sport bike they had back in '82 with the tank pointed at the ground. It was ugly then...still is!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #8 on: February 18, 2014, 06:03:50 pm
I think it's interesting that Indian decided to make the exhaust pipes come downward from the heads, like the old flat head exhausts used to do. Probably not the world's best thing to do for performance, but it does add some vintage looks. And I'm sure it has enough power to do what it needs to do, with 111 cubic inches.

All in all, I think it does a pretty decent job of being "retro" and capturing the basic visual elements that define an old Indian Chief. Except it's a bit too clean and tidy. Most all these modern bikes are too clean and tidy. Motorcycles are supposed to be lean and mean and gritty and oily. Things are too sanitized these days for my taste.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #9 on: February 18, 2014, 06:07:28 pm
That particular styling queue was one they picked to help keep the spirit of the old bikes.  I've also heard they're not necessarily locking themselves into being a retro cruiser bike maker.  I didn't see any evidence of that at the show, but hey, even Harley is now making a water cooled 500cc bike.  I hope to see both manufacturers do something a little outside the usual box soon.

Scott

Norm

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: February 18, 2014, 06:24:39 pm
At the show I asked the Yamaha guys about the SR400, rumored to be coming back to the US.  They said it was at the dealer show, but that no word has been released yet about it.  If it returns our way, will be still be kick-start only?  I'm sure it is EFI by now.
Arizona

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #11 on: February 18, 2014, 06:38:01 pm
Missed that one, guess I need to pay more attention.  Sometimes we get carbs when the rest of the world gets EFI.  It can help to keep a bike down to a certain price point.

Scott

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #12 on: February 18, 2014, 06:58:01 pm
At the show I asked the Yamaha guys about the SR400, rumored to be coming back to the US.  They said it was at the dealer show, but that no word has been released yet about it.  If it returns our way, will be still be kick-start only?  I'm sure it is EFI by now.

Seeing that bike you posted .... My first impression was. "wow"  What a nice simple motorcycle that someone could work with.  Not too small , not to big....

It sure seems like they are billing it that way after checking their site.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/sport-heritage/sr400.aspx
An thaibhsí atá rattling ag an doras agus tá sé an diabhal sa chathaoir.

Craig McClure

• Riding over 50 years
  • Grand Gearhead
  • "No Future In Getting Old"
Reply #13 on: February 18, 2014, 08:04:15 pm

Seeing that bike you posted .... My first impression was. "wow"  What a nice simple motorcycle that someone could work with.  Not too small , not to big....

It sure seems like they are billing it that way after checking their site.

http://www.yamaha-motor.eu/eu/products/motorcycles/sport-heritage/sr400.aspx

SR500 was a nice bike, fast & agile, BUT, they could be temperamental starters. After owning 2, this became a deal breaker as I, & my abused joints, got older. I don't know why they couldn't fit Electric start, & predict the SR400 won't be a big success here until they do.
Best Wishes, Craig McClure

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #14 on: February 18, 2014, 08:11:57 pm
SR500 was a nice bike, fast & agile, BUT, they could be temperamental starters. After owning 2, this became a deal breaker as I, & my abused joints, got older. I don't know why they couldn't fit Electric start, & predict the SR400 won't be a big success here until they do.

Yeah.... I agree.  The more I read, the less I like it.  The price seems ridiculous as well !?   

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #15 on: February 19, 2014, 12:52:26 am
I dunno. With fuel injection, perhaps some of the hard starting issues would be addressed. Plus it has spoke wheels, which I think the SR500 really needed to look 'right'.  I *might* consider one, if.....

I didn't see any MSRP on the Yamaha site listed. What is the estimate on pricing for the SR400?
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #16 on: February 19, 2014, 01:16:20 am
In case anyone is interested to know, a well - modified Iron Barrel Bullet can be faster in every way than a similarly modified SR500. The SR500 has limits imposed by the design, which the Bullet can exceed. Believe it, or not.

And eventually, we might get there with the UCE too.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

gashousegorilla

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #17 on: February 19, 2014, 01:52:50 am
I dunno. With fuel injection, perhaps some of the hard starting issues would be addressed. Plus it has spoke wheels, which I think the SR500 really needed to look 'right'.  I *might* consider one, if.....

I didn't see any MSRP on the Yamaha site listed. What is the estimate on pricing for the SR400?

I saw it on the UK site..... I believe it was in the neighborhood of $8600 US.   Doesn't mean they would sell it here for that, if they did..... But ?