Author Topic: R.I.P.  (Read 10091 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
on: February 10, 2014, 12:54:40 pm
Just catching this forum up to date.

R.I.P.
L.J. Read
Papa Juan
Uncle Ernie
Dave Murray

I hope that I didn't unintentionally omit any names.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 01:13:06 am
just as I'm reading this I look to the left margin and there is
a picture of PERLA3 in the members rides.
   what are the odds of that??
        - Mike
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 01:21:06 am
Odds that you'd see that photo of PERLA3?  1 in about 3552, I guess!  ;)

I arrived too late to know anyone listed above - I hope I never know anyone on this list!  Well, you know what I mean...

I have been catching up on old ride reports, and I have come across many entries with Uncle Ernie and, IIRC, Blue Ridge Wheeltor, that I'd pay to read!  A great riding pair, hilarious - like Bare and Jack's banter was when they were both riding RE's.  (Bare and Jack are still with us of course...)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 11:59:45 am
I have been catching up on old ride reports, and I have come across many entries with Uncle Ernie and, IIRC, Blue Ridge Wheeltor, that I'd pay to read!  A great riding pair, hilarious - like Bare and Jack's banter was when they were both riding RE's.  (Bare and Jack are still with us of course...)

Oh, man... Papa Juan (Cabo Cruz?) is in there, too!  It's sad to know those guys are gone; I'm reading their conversations like they're happening now! (http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php/topic,5344.0.html)  This forum is a great way to really preserve their memory... in their own words, so to speak.

t120rbullet

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 02:48:12 pm
Another great loss to the Royal Enfield community a while back was George Helm.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/blog/tag/george-helm/
1972 FLH "Sambo"
1999 Enfield 500 Black Deluxe "Silver"
2023 Guzzi V7 Special "BOB"

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 03:15:23 pm
Another great loss to the Royal Enfield community a while back was George Helm.

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/blog/tag/george-helm/

I recently had the opportunity to flow test a Bullet  head ported by George Helm, and it was the best flowing head we have ever tested from any other porting person besides us. It flowed closer to the Fireball head than any other head with a similar port size that we have flow tested. We have flow tested heads from almost every other source.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 03:40:17 pm
Remember all those guys..One day they just don't pop up anymore and then someone gets a note saying they had a accident or just died...I'm hoping they are on the other side and have a enfield warmed up for me when its my turn...The list has no shortage of applicants, that's for sure... :(
Oh Magoo you done it again

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 05:32:18 pm
Uncle Ernie's bike is what brought me in...

There's a LOOONNNGGG thread over at the DO The Ton forum.  "Uncle Ernie's Inspirational Pics".  Warning:  I do not recommend looking over this thread at: 1) work; 2) with wife or gf looking over your shoulder.

http://www.dotheton.com/forum/index.php?topic=13388.0
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:49:29 pm
Uncle Ernie's bike is what brought me in...

And I can see why!  Thanks for that link...

GreenMachine

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: February 12, 2014, 04:25:01 pm
Dan B: Thanks for that thread...Ernies and the rest of the fellows pics were great....Do you know what became of  Ernies Bike after his  accident? I remember their was confusion re. if it was sold outright or did someone on this board buy it.....GM
Oh Magoo you done it again

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 02:38:46 am
Dan B: Thanks for that thread...Ernies and the rest of the fellows pics were great....Do you know what became of  Ernies Bike after his  accident? I remember their was confusion re. if it was sold outright or did someone on this board buy it.....GM

Sorry GM wish I knew. I want to believe I've seen that bike here somewhere, but I thinks it's wishful thinking. I also wonder what happened to that beautiful alloy tank once he took it off (said it was pretentious!)
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #11 on: February 27, 2014, 12:02:22 am
I also wonder what happened to that beautiful alloy tank once he took it off (said it was pretentious!)
I did several pm's with him about buying it. It had grown 2 big dents by then,for the ace bars clearance. He passed before we could do the deal. But just chatting with him revealed what a riot he was. Sorry i couldn't meet him in person.
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.

cyrusb

• Kept man
  • Grand Gearhead
  • There's a last time for everything
Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 07:32:38 pm
Gotta add this...
2005E Fixed and or Replaced: ignition, fenders,chainguard,wires,carb,headlight,seat,tailight,sprockets,chain,shock springs,fork springs, exhaust system, horn,shifter,clutch arm, trafficators,crankcase vent.