Author Topic: My Quest To Hit the Ton  (Read 23648 times)

ERC

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #105 on: April 13, 2014, 11:03:44 pm
What was deleted?   ???  ERC
2-57 Apaches, 2-57 Trailblazers, 60 Chief, 65 Interceptor, 2004 Bullet, 612 Bullet chopped.

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #106 on: April 13, 2014, 11:07:25 pm
I accidentally posted the the flat track races on this thread, so I deleted it and moved.  I guess I could of just as well left.  :)
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #107 on: April 15, 2014, 04:13:30 am
Well, I got some great news when I got home today after a horrible freaking day at work.  Our neighbors who has become friends with our family informed us that her good friend is moving to Virgina and is renting out her 2 bed 2 bath condo WITH garage for only $1100 a month!  The leasing agent is calling my wife in the morning to discuss the details.  Our friend said that she knows the person very well, and to tell her after we speak to him so she can call him herself "and talk to him to make sure we get the condo".   Man I sure hope this pans out.  Fingers crossed!   :)

Scottie J

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #108 on: April 16, 2014, 12:40:26 pm
I've been eyeballing these for a while now.  I think I can make them work by mounting them where the Hitchcocks ones mount in the "looped" hole towards the rearmost lower part of the frame.  For the shifter mount I'm thinking of just hacking up the the original shifter and welding/modding it to work with a Scottie Jlinkage kit.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/UNIVERSAL-REARSETS-honda-yamaha-cafe-racer-cb750-xs650-cb550-cb350-cb450-bobber-/351045039851

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #109 on: April 17, 2014, 08:01:52 am
I just read on the other thread where you said that you don't have a duckbill on your bike yet.
That is a necessary item, especially on a small dry sump engine like that.
It's probably costing you 1-2 hp in pumping losses to leave that breather open like that. And if it's upsetting the ring sealing, then you're losing even more.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #110 on: April 17, 2014, 12:00:09 pm
I've been meaning to order one and I always forget about it until I run the bike hard and get oil sprayed all over the rear half of the bike.  I'm curious tho.  Why is it I can order one from India for less than $5 shipped out, but they are $12.95 + shipping thru NFG?  Is it really worth me spending the $15 "convenience fee" to have it i a couple of days instead of a couple of weeks?  In fact I can order a pack of TEN duck bills for the same price as thru NFG.  Maybe I should just order a 10 pack a and sell a couple of them on the cheap.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Trade-Pack-Genuine-Duckbill-Breather-Hose-Pipe-140167-EnfieldSpares24x7-/181280186909?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&hash=item2a3524221d&vxp=mtr

Scottie J

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #111 on: April 17, 2014, 12:59:05 pm
It's just their mark-up.
However, for certain things, it's worth it to have them act as the quality screener for a product, because they send you a good item, and have to deal with sending the defective ones back to India.

You wouldn't believe the absolutely worthless defective shit that some of these India vendors will ship to you. On the streets in India, thete is a thriving industry of knock-off parts. Maybe some good, but a lot of bad. Nothing is wasted there. They try to find somebody to stick with the junk, no matter how bad it is. A lot of that ends up on Ebay.

You can get good stuff on Ebay too. It's a "crap-shoot", though. If you have to send a heavy item back because it was defective, the return shipping costs you more than the item is worth. So then you are stuck with it and you can't blame the vendor because he says he'll replace the bad item if you return the bad one. That's how it works.

With duckbills, it might be worth the risk because they are cheap and the shipping is light weight and not very high. Probably a good idea to order a quantity if they are that cheap, because it will raise the chances that there will be some good ones in there. Oh, and saying "Genuine Royal Enfield Spares" generally means that they had the printer down the street print up bags or stickers that are copies of RE bags.

So , this happens to NField gear too. They "buffer" you from the defects, and pick the good ones out of the mess, and if they pass thru a bad one, you can return it cheaply and easily to them for replacement. They take the losses or the hassle on the load of crap that remains.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #112 on: April 23, 2014, 01:01:02 am
I can NOT freaking believe this.  ANOTHER fucking electrical failure!!!     >:(

I've been hearing this weird chatter coming from the primary which I just passed off as clutch chatter.  Well it turns out that the rotor I used from the Chief was in the process of failing, or the PO installed the woodruff key wrong.  Anyways, the bike started misfiring 3 miles away from home on my way back from work.  I killed the lights and went away for the most part and I'm saying to myself "you've got to be kidding me."  I grab the primary cover at the next light and it was tight so I'm wondering what the hell is going on.  I get home and I NEED to know what happened so I start pulling the primary cover off to find out that the HUB on the rotor ovaled out and was wobbling inside the alternator.  After looking at the rotor hub a little closer, it looks like the key way on the hub itself is worn to about twice the size as it is supposed to be.  Even with the woodruff key inserted properly there is about a 1/4" of play in all directions.

I'm so frustrated right now.     :-[
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 01:02:46 pm by High On Octane »