Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 6830 times)

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #15 on: February 08, 2014, 10:42:51 pm
OK - Thanks everyone, all and any advice is much appreciated. Once I've spoken to my dad's friend and asked him about repairing at his i'll open her up and let you know how I get on.

Any advice on workshop manuals?

james

I advise you to get the complete technical package from our hosts at NFIELD Gear. 3 texts, including th factory parts book, factory service manual, and Pete Snidal's book. Between all 3 of them, and asking questions here, you should get through it.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

DanB

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 09, 2014, 02:30:24 am
I'm not recommending this method of disassembly, but it gives you an idea of what's next.

http://youtu.be/M_WD5m9RKdM
Suppose I were an idiot, and suppose I were a member of Congress; but I repeat myself. ... Mark Twain
2006 AVL Electra

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #17 on: February 09, 2014, 04:46:32 am
I'm betting it won't require the big hammer and the board to get the head off.

Some of the Indian mechanics do tend to use some pretty primitive methods for an engine teardown.   ;D
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: February 09, 2014, 02:25:05 pm
I'm not recommending this method of disassembly, but it gives you an idea of what's next.

http://youtu.be/M_WD5m9RKdM

Oh My God!  That poor freaking head!  Have they never heard of using the right tool for the job!?  Now pry bar, no dead blow?!     :o
Did anyone else notice the massive gouge he put into the head mating surface trying to beat and pry that head off at 3:10?  I hope he plans on decking the head now.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 02:28:05 pm by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #19 on: February 09, 2014, 05:11:15 pm
Oh My God!  That poor freaking head!  Have they never heard of using the right tool for the job!?  Now pry bar, no dead blow?!     :o
Did anyone else notice the massive gouge he put into the head mating surface trying to beat and pry that head off at 3:10?  I hope he plans on decking the head now.

Scottie J

I started watching these videos of Indian bike shops years ago & I'm continually amazed. And the cringe factor during some of them is 100%.

But then there are also some videos of the gorgeous restoration work that comes out of some of these hole-in-the-wall shops. It's amazing.

If anyone has not seen it, find the video of the guy who pin-stripes the gold on the gas tanks. He's the Indian Von Dutch of Enfields & he is deadly serious.

That whole friggin' factory should be very proud of itself.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

baird4444

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2003 ES 500... 38,416 miles, I'm done
Reply #20 on: February 10, 2014, 12:17:38 am
    or...
    you get lucky and the top of the piston came off.
    yea, it happens....
'My dear you are ugly,
 but tomorrow I shall be sober and you will still be ugly'
 - Winston Churchill

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #21 on: February 10, 2014, 01:14:04 am
Cool pic! Put a hinge on the piston top, crank on side, clown inside and......... Pop goes the weasel. Literally!
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #22 on: April 09, 2014, 04:08:02 pm
Hi all!

Thanks for all your tips. To let you know. I took the head off and it was the piston that had shattered. I have bought a new one and am in the midst of replacing the old one.

There are quite a few shards of the metal including bits of broken piston ring that have however come and are swimming in the sump. Ive bought an extendible magnet which has managed to pick up a fair bit of the metal however I was wondering if anyone had any other techniques for getting the metal shards out. Perhaps I could drain them out? or rinse them out with water?

Any tips again much appreciated. Hopefully can do the fix for < £100 :)

cheers all!

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #23 on: April 09, 2014, 04:20:28 pm
Unfortunately, there's not an easy way to clear the sump of metal.
Short of a complete disassembly, I have heard of people taking the engine out of the bike, and filling up the sump with kerosene, and shaking it around, and then turning it upside down and pouring it out. Repeat until no more metal appears to be coming out.

Depending upon where some of the metal got to before the engine stopped, don't be too surprised if you see some main bearing failure in the not too distant future.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

barenekd

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #24 on: April 09, 2014, 11:05:28 pm
Hte first engine I totally tore down and rebuilt was a BSA Gold Star, essentially the same as a Bullet. It's not terribly hard, but you will need a new Crankshaft, rod bearing and rod in an upgraded mode. these assemblys are available assembled, which is the way to go. I had to assemble my BSA Crank.
The rest of the stuff, main bearings, piston and such are going to be dependent on what shape the original parts are in. You need to tear the engine down and see what parts are ruined.
While you're doing this disassembly,  take copious pictures so you can see/remember where everything goes! It'll help immensely. This means from when you start to take the engine out, through engine disassembly. You really don't want any parts left out when you think you're done!
Bare
2013 Moto Guzzi V7 Racer
2011 Black Classic G5 (RIP)
I refuse to tiptoe through life only to arrive safely at death
http://www.controllineplans.com

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #25 on: April 10, 2014, 02:52:31 am
Yeah.  If your piston exploded you most likely need to do a complete tear down and rebuild, and don't order any parts until you have it completely disassembled and you know exactly what you need.  When a piston grenades like that you are almost guaranteed to need to replace everything.  Also, I bet your cylinder is going to need reboring as well with the addition of an over-sized piston, I'm sure you have nasty gouges all over the cylinder wall.  Just replacing the piston without additional work will cause low compression and bad oil consumption.  Basically a waste of your time.

Can post some pics of the carnage so we can see what exactly happened?

Also, pistons are not made of steel so a magnet isn't going to get any of those chunks out of there anyways.

Scottie J
« Last Edit: April 10, 2014, 02:55:11 am by High On Octane »
2001 Harley Davidson Road King