Author Topic: Engine rebuild  (Read 6825 times)

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
on: February 08, 2014, 06:02:34 pm
Fellow Enfield owners, greetings. As a young motorcycle enthusiast with little knowledge any advice you can give me would be much appreciated :-)

Forgive me if ive posted in the wrong section of the site.

I've owned a 500 bullet for just under a year now which whilst i love it has caused me nothing but problems.

The latest is what I believe to be something to do with the piston rod, piston, big end damaged. I was accelerating (perhaps a little too hard) on a cold day in first and the engine started to make a horrendous tapping noise, power immediately cut out and I lost all compression.

Luckily I pulled over next to a door man who was a handy mechanic and he took the spark plug out and stuck a screwdriver in the whole and discovered the piston wasn't moving.

I've stuck so much money into it so far that I really want to try and rebuild the engine myself. This will be my first attempt at anything like this but I've changed throttle, clutch, break cables etc so my belief is, perhaps a little naively, that with a good workshop manual I can learn on the job. My father's friend is a handy mechanic and has just retired so I'm hoping he will let me do it in his workshop and offer me some assistance.

a. If anyone has anyone has experience any similar issues like this.
b. Do you think this achievable, bearing in mind i have little mechanical knowledge although I can pick things up easily and like a challenge.
c. What's the best manual to use, I have a copy of Pete Snidal's workshop manual.
d. What are peoples thoughts on picking up parts on eBay from India. Gasket sets (not original) are so much cheaper on eBay than from dealers but I'm wondering if they're not
e. If you can point me in the direction of a blog/ forum page that offers advice for similar symptoms or engine rebuild.

Many thanks in advance for any advice you can offer.

james

High On Octane

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 07:06:24 pm
We can't really help you until we know what exact bike you have, as the different models have their own quirks and issues.  But from what you've described it sounds like you broke the connecting rod.  It's possible when this happens to have major damage to the internals of the engine.  Tell us what year and model you have and we can point you in the right direction.

Scottie J
2001 Harley Davidson Road King

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:12:20 pm
If you have an ES model the problem will likely be your sprag clutch has grenaded and has jammed things up. If you do have an ES you should take your primary cover off and have a look inside. This is a very common problem and is easy to fix.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd
2009 HD FLHT Police 103 6 spd
1992 Kawasaki ZG 1200 Voyager XII

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 07:15:11 pm
Thanks all.

It's a bullet 500 deluxe 2002 model.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 07:36:55 pm
ES model?
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
  • World leaders in performance/racing Bullets
Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:21 pm
The people here can help you figure it out, and help you with what to do.
I have been involved with more Bullet rebuilds than I can remember, and that's a lot.
So, you can do it, and there are experienced people here to help.

Regarding parts, I think gaskets and stuff like that are fine to get from India, but get them from a highly rated vendor.
As for internal engine parts, they weren't good when the bike was built, and putting the same junk back in isn't a good idea. Upgrade any broken part, and upgrade the key parts which are known to fail.
Home of the Fireball 535 !

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: February 08, 2014, 08:00:51 pm
It's not ES no (if ES means Electric Start). it's classic model with gears on right, breaks on left.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:05:03 pm by jameswilkinson »

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: February 08, 2014, 08:02:46 pm
urrgghhh, you'll have to forgive my lack of knowledge, is ES the version post 2007 with gears / breaks switched? if so, it's not. It has gears on the right like the old classic versions

ES stands for "Electric Start".
If you have an electric starter system on the bike, you have an ES model. They are a big problem on these bikes. Many people just eliminate it.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #8 on: February 08, 2014, 08:20:10 pm
It's not ES no (if ES means Electric Start). it's classic model with gears on right, breaks on left.

Those are the brakes I guess.
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

tooseevee

• Grand Gearhead
  • Everybody's havin' them dreams
Reply #9 on: February 08, 2014, 08:24:35 pm
If you have an ES model the problem will likely be your sprag clutch has grenaded and has jammed things up. If you do have an ES you should take your primary cover off and have a look inside. This is a very common problem and is easy to fix.

Did you read what he said? It happened under acceleration in 1st gear not when starting the engine with the electric start.

They turned the engine over & the piston's not going up & down. That's the problem.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:28:31 pm by tooseevee »
RI USA '08 Black AVL Classic.9.8:1 ACEhead/manifold/canister. TM32/Open bottle/hot tube removed. Pertronix Coil. Fed mandates removed. Gr.TCI. Bobber seat. Battery in right side case. Decomp&all doodads removed. '30s Lucas taillight/7" visored headlight. Much blackout & wire/electrical upgrades.

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: February 08, 2014, 08:27:33 pm
           Did you read what he said? It happened under acceleration in 1st gear not when starting the engine with the electric start.

If the piston doesn't move and it made a big knocking sound, I'm thinking it is likely a broken rod.

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #11 on: February 08, 2014, 08:45:06 pm
OK - I've got a bad feeling it's going to be something pretty substantial like broken connecting rod.

Anyone have any idea what's the best / worst scenario I can expect with a broken rod?

It only made a knocking sound when it first went, once the engine had died the kickstart was kicking over as if I had the compression switch on.

Blltrdr

• Grand Gearhead
  • cycle-delic music
Reply #12 on: February 08, 2014, 08:56:25 pm

They turned the engine over & the piston's not going up & down. That's the problem.

It doesn't hurt to see if it might be something that is not catastrophic. I have been in his shoes and can say it is the last thing you want happening. But on a positive note he is at the right place to get the advise he needs.
2003 Classic 500 5 spd

ace.cafe

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #13 on: February 08, 2014, 09:03:12 pm
OK - I've got a bad feeling it's going to be something pretty substantial like broken connecting rod.

Anyone have any idea what's the best / worst scenario I can expect with a broken rod?

It only made a knocking sound when it first went, once the engine had died the kickstart was kicking over as if I had the compression switch on.
Well, if it doesn't have a hole in the engine case with oil leaking out on to the floor, it's a good sign.

I agree that we don't know exactly what it is yet, and it is a good idea to do the investigative work before jumping to any conclusions.

jameswilkinson

• Scooter
Reply #14 on: February 08, 2014, 09:07:27 pm
OK - Thanks everyone, all and any advice is much appreciated. Once I've spoken to my dad's friend and asked him about repairing at his i'll open her up and let you know how I get on.

Any advice on workshop manuals?

james