Author Topic: Battery cable replacement  (Read 30440 times)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #15 on: February 13, 2014, 01:42:34 am
Not to worry. The small red line is the single side tap that feeds positive electrical energy to the whole system. Follow it I'm sure you'll find it goes right to the fuse block.

Scott

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #16 on: February 13, 2014, 04:45:00 am
One wire goes to clutch switch, according to Starting and Charging Circuit diagram.
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #17 on: February 13, 2014, 08:35:29 am
Hmmmm.... probably the clutch/starter interlock.  I don't remember that on mine, I'll have to take a look.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #18 on: February 13, 2014, 10:04:45 am
One wire goes to clutch switch, according to Starting and Charging Circuit diagram.

Singhg5 - yes, you are correct!  I was mistaken... In my diagram, the blue/white wire goes to the starter switch, the black to the clutch switch.  As I mentioned, however, my wires are different - in color, and in quantity!

Scott, maybe once I had a replacement in my hands it would be obvious, but all I see in the photo of the ebay link you sent is two large lugs, which I assume take the big cables.  The smaller connections are in the "green plastic piece" which you said isn't needed.  So, what to do with the three small wires?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #19 on: February 13, 2014, 11:24:48 pm
This is just a guess but I think one of supplies power from the starter button.
One of them is attached to the clutch switch and one of them is attached to the neutral switch on the engine.

That would allow either the clutch switch or the neutral switch to provide the ground to complete the circuit when the starter button is pushed.

If the new solonoid has two small terminals, the wire feeding the power would go to one of them and both of the two grounding wires would go to the other terminal.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:30 am
This is just a guess but I think one of supplies power from the starter button.
One of them is attached to the clutch switch and one of them is attached to the neutral switch on the engine.

That would allow either the clutch switch or the neutral switch to provide the ground to complete the circuit when the starter button is pushed.

That could be, Jim.  My wiring diagram, however, shows a wire from the solenoid to the clutch switch, but the neutral switch wire comes from the clutch switch.  The clutch pulled in provides a path to ground.  The clutch left out instead provides a path to... the neutral switch.  The bike in neutral then provides the path to ground.

This, according to the diagram - which is proving not accurate for my bike...  :(

Maybe I'll see if Tim at CMW has a replacement solenoid that's meant to fit, and work, on my bike.  Meanwhile, since I now have new cable coming and no solenoid to connect it to, if anyone has any bright ideas...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 12:59:26 am
Ask Tim.  The one I put a link to above is exactly what I got from CMW when it was replaced under warranty EXCEPT it also came with two little metal ears that bolted to the stock location.  It came with about 12 3" lengths of wires with connectors on them.  I have no idea what those were supposed to be used for.

Scott

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 04:11:07 am
If I look at the 3 wiring diagrams I've downloaded from various places I see only two wires that would activate the starter solenoid.  One goes to the right hand switches and one goes to the clutch switch.  The only place the neutral wire is noted, it disappears into the speedometer.  There are no wires shown going from the starter solenoid to the speedometer.

That's why I don't have much faith in the diagrams. :(
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 04:19:09 am
On my G5, the starter solenoid has 4 wires -

i)    Battery to Solenoid
ii)    Solenoid to Starter Motor
iii) and iv)  Two smaller wires for solenoid activation - one of which comes from starter button and the other from clutch switch (based on circuit diagram, because I have not traced them all the way manually).

Mattsz - Is your solenoid different with 5 wires ? I don't fully comprehend what you got.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 04:23:37 am by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 05:20:02 pm
Still trying to sort out my solenoid issue...

Singhg5 - I've got a 2011 B5, and the solenoid has 5 wires, permanently sealed of course.  See my photo above - I've got the same paired small wires you have (one blue and one white), but I've got an additional small red wire diving into the glue as well.  My solenoid is mounted aft of the battery, beneath the seat near the roll-over sensor, whereas it appears yours is mounted in front of the battery, beneath the fuel line.

The RE guys seem to be saying that the only solenoid they provide has the sealed wires, which is what I don't want.  So, I'm back to trying to figure out how my solenoid is different from the wiring diagram and finding a functional replacement.  I'm looking at tracing the wiring to sort myself out, but until it gets above 20℉ in my garage, it's just going to have to wait.

Has anyone else replaced one of these 5-wire solenoids with something that works?

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 05:45:28 pm
You can dig out the glue on the solenoid and see what's going on in there.  I did it out of curiosity.  It's a tough job but doable.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 11:26:45 pm
Scott - did you find that you could dig it out enough to change the two big battery cables if you wanted to?  ;)

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #27 on: March 01, 2014, 12:14:58 am
Yes, I think so.  If you dig away the potting compund carefully and don't damage anything then, as I recall, you'll see the bolt and quick disconnect connections on the relay.  You should be able to reuse it if you want.  Mine was dead by the time I did that so there was no point.  I just cut the lines, added new ends, and put in the new relay.

If you're going to do it I'd recommend you disconnect all the lines labelling as you go, then take the relay and attached lines to a bench to dig out the compound.  It will take a while and I can't imagine it would be fun to do while sitting next to the bike with everything attached.

Scott

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #28 on: March 01, 2014, 12:43:08 am
Worth consideration, anyway.  What did you dig with?  I wonder if a dremel tool would just heat the stuff and get gunked up?

Meanwhile, I got another email from Tim, who said that for my bike, if I don't want the molded wires, then my only option is a "universal unit" - he attached photos and it looks a lot like the ebay special you pointed us to earlier, Scott.  His universal unit has instructions which only refer to connecting two small wires to the "motorcycle's starting circuit".  This still leaves me scratching my head over my 5-wire arrangement...

Ducati Scotty

• Grand Gearhead
  • 2010 Teal C5
Reply #29 on: March 01, 2014, 01:37:40 am
I used wire cutters, pliers, screwdrivers and the like to crack/chip it all away.