Author Topic: Battery cable replacement  (Read 30850 times)

mattsz

• Grand Gearhead
  • moto-gurdyist
Reply #60 on: November 03, 2014, 06:15:24 pm
Ryan - here's what I would do...

If your solenoid has no indications of connection polarity, I'd connect something that indicates continuity (VOM? Test light with some electricity to power it?) across the big starter leads.  It should indicate no continuity, i.e. the solenoid is not activated, when you've got no power across the small leads.

Then, I'd take a wire lead off each battery terminal and quickly connect them across the small solenoid leads - just take a guess on the polarity.  If the polarity matters, and you guess wrong, I would expect that the solenoid would not create a connection across the big terminals.  It may not even make a noise.  If you're quick, you shouldn't damage anything.  Switch the leads from the battery, and try again.  One of them should produce the desired result: a solid "click" and a connection between the big terminals.  Connect the wires to match that configuration.  Or, if polarity doesn't matter, they both might activate the solenoid.

Is there a chance you'll ruin the solenoid?  I suppose so.  But if I had to sort it out "right now", that's what I'd do.

Anyone know for certain about this question?

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #61 on: November 04, 2014, 01:28:06 am
The two small wires that connect to the starter motor solenoid can be hooked up either way.  It doesn't matter.

One of the small wires supplies power from the start switch on the handlebars.  The other small wire goes to the clutch switch located on the clutch lever.  If the clutch lever is pulled in, this switch connects the solenoid wire to ground completing the circuit and actuating the solenoid coil.  If the clutch is not pulled in, the small wire continues to the neutral switch.  If the motorcycle is in neutral, this switch, which is also connected to ground closes completing the circuit actuating the solenoid coil.

If both the clutch switch and the neutral switch are open (clutch is not pulled in and neutral is not engaged or the neutral switch doesn't recognize the transmission is in neutral), there is no ground connection for the solenoid coil and it will not operate.
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

ryanof

• Scooter
Reply #62 on: November 07, 2014, 05:04:20 pm
With all your help I got it done.  Bike starts up real nice.  I am adding some pics of the old solenoid.  On my 2011 B5 solenoid the white small wire lines up on the positive red cable.

singhg5

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #63 on: November 07, 2014, 05:46:38 pm
With all your help I got it done.  Bike starts up real nice.  I am adding some pics of the old solenoid.  On my 2011 B5 solenoid the white small wire lines up on the positive red cable.

Great pictures showing wire configuration inside a five-wire solenoid. Thanks.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 06:05:02 pm by singhg5 »
1970's Jawa /  Yezdi
2006 Honda Nighthawk
2009 Royal Enfield Black G5

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #64 on: April 11, 2015, 12:22:37 am
hi,
Battery cable replacement problem are arise cable demaged u contact to yourmechanics.check ur qurrey
thanks

That's a first post?
pretty sure that user is a bot
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods

Arizoni

• Grand Gearhead
  • "But it's a dry heat here in Arizona
Reply #65 on: April 11, 2015, 02:54:02 am
We have quite a few people from foreign lands.  Many of them have a few difficulties conveying their thoughts to English.

All of them do a much better job of it than I would trying to speak their languages. :)
Jim
2011 G5 Deluxe
1999 Miata 10th Anniversary

dginfw

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #66 on: April 11, 2015, 04:17:20 am
Yeah Ive tried using google translation and it can come out pretty bad depending on the language....
Hope i didnt offend anyone
Dave in TX:   '01  W650- keeper
                    '12 C5 military -sold
                    '14 Continental GT-  sold
                    '06 Iron Barrel Bullet- Ace Clubman mods