Author Topic: Lubrication Question  (Read 2910 times)

tanker

• Scooter
on: July 07, 2008, 05:12:49 pm
Both my owners manual and the service manual call for lubricating the "clutch actuating arm"  during periodical maintenance.  Since there is also a task for lubricating the hand levers, I assume the actuating arm referred to is the arm located in the gearbox and accessed by removing the two allen screws in the cover plate.  All I see there is the locknut, washer and shaft used to adjust the clutch.  Is this what is to be lubricated, and if so, with the same oil as used in the gearbox?  It seems that all that would get lubed is the lock nut. 

By the way, I'm now over 1000 miles on my '06 Electra X and loving it.   
~tanker
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

ridgerunner

• Grease Monkey
Reply #1 on: July 08, 2008, 11:39:54 pm
I believe they are referring to greasing the tip of the adjusting screw. I read that and have not tried it as I just know with my luck I'll drop the darn thing in the gearbox. ::)
08 Bullet ES (AVL)
The Enfield saves on gas, riding the Enfield saves on Prozac. ;)

LJRead

Reply #2 on: July 09, 2008, 04:21:25 am
The four speed tranny has a grease nipple at the top of it and this may be what this is referring to.  I don't see it on my five speed.

tanker

• Scooter
Reply #3 on: July 10, 2008, 04:55:57 pm
Thanks for the replies.  I guess the item in the list must be a "leftover" from the 4 speed.
Brian
2006 Electra-X
1994 Goldwing

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #4 on: July 23, 2008, 06:54:16 pm
I think the manual means the 3 balls between the "clutch operating lever" and the "reaction plate". The clutch lever mechanism doesn´t really run in gear oil an if you take it apart and grease it with lithium grease everytime you change the gear oil it seems to be a good idea.

Thumper

• Psalm 23
  • Grand Gearhead
  • Classic Wannabe
Reply #5 on: July 28, 2008, 05:40:42 pm
I think the manual means the 3 balls between the "clutch operating lever" and the "reaction plate". The clutch lever mechanism doesn´t really run in gear oil an if you take it apart and grease it with lithium grease everytime you change the gear oil it seems to be a good idea.

Can you elaborate on this? On my Urals I could slide out the clutch pushrod entirely after pulling out the actuating lever/arm; but the actuating arm and presumably the pushrod are inside the tranny case on the AVLs. Also, it is bathed in oil. With the small cover removed (2 allen screws) I cannot see anything to lubricate!

Matt

faltnerc

• Scooter
Reply #6 on: August 01, 2008, 10:47:36 am
Hello Matt!

I´m afraid that my english is not good enough to elaborate this. But if you take off the cover by turning out the allan screws (after you have drained the oil)  you will see what I mean.
Greetings
Chris
(from Austria)

PaulF

• Grease Monkey
Reply #7 on: August 01, 2008, 06:48:31 pm
I know what you're referring to.

My question is, would there be any consequence to overfill the trans a bit, as with the primary case, to aid in bathing the arm in oil? I think the arm is about dead center of that side of the gearbox.

Anyone tried this?

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 09:44:42 pm
I'm having a hard time believing that the factory doesn't know what their doing. By over filling beyond the design may be asking for trouble not yet found. You wouldn't overfill your engine on purpose. We know what that leads to.

Foggy_Auggie

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 12:56:46 am
Don't overfill the transmission case.

The factory service note to overfill the primary case is for the starter drive gears - which weren't there when this engine was designed.
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.

Fortiter Et Fideliter

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #10 on: August 02, 2008, 01:40:10 am
Ahh! A factory service bulletin on the primary. Different story on that then, fill away on primary.