Author Topic: shift crossover shaft (LH)  (Read 1335 times)

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
on: January 31, 2014, 05:10:36 am
Okay, this is humbling, I'm swapping my 2002 4 spd from left to right shift. So, all is well till shift crossover shaft removal time,.. E clip-out, left side splined linkage-off, right side actuater-off. The shaft just slides back & forth from left to right & stops "clunk" after about an inch of free travel. If I've overlooked an E-clip or something, could someone  'throw me a bone' as where it might be? Thanks in advance for any input ya'll may have.  R.Tillery,    thanks again.
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 10:06:08 pm
It has been a few years since I installed the right-foot shifter, however, I seem to remember that there are two (approximately 1/2 inch) bolts or threaded rods that are just above or below the cross shaft.  These bolts or threaded rods are perpendicular to the shaft and extent forward into the gearbox case;  the purpose of these bolts is to prevent the shaft from moving from side to side.  So.......to make a long story short, you need to remove those two bolts, then the shaft slides right out.

rtillery02

• R.Tillery
  • Grease Monkey
  • 2012 C5 Bullet Classic / 2002 Iron Barrel
Reply #2 on: February 09, 2014, 02:57:50 pm
Yup, got it, thank you much, all came out as a unit when everything else was ready.
  Got another gremlin if yer up to it.
The new foot control lever tab is not long enough to actuate the control spring(bout a 1/4" shorter than the old one)
  I can weld & grind some distance onto it if the alloy can take it, is that a cast part or a weldable alloy? Thanks again for yer thoughts
Some Folks Grow Old & Wise, &
Some Folks Just Grow Old.

mrunderhill1975a

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #3 on: February 10, 2014, 04:48:33 am
See the parts diagram below from hitchocks site.  The small end of the foot control lever spring (part2) should fit in the tab of the foot control adjuster plate (part 3).  If it does not, there is a problem.  Are you certain you have part 2 and not spring 5 ?  They both look the same but are different length and size.
If you could post a photo, that would be helpful.