Author Topic: UK to Spain on an AVL  (Read 6461 times)

23hp

• Bulleteer
on: July 06, 2008, 10:25:06 am
Another long time lurker here...

Bought an AVL in the UK which was delivered to the dealer last week (In Spain only the EFI models are now available...)  Dealer has been kind enough and is at present running it in to its first service for me.  As I live in NW of Spain will be flying over to the UK this month to collect my Electra ;D  before doing the crossing on the ferry and spending about 14 days bringing her back over and getting to know her.  Have planned to do around 200-300km per day and after reading up on the thread:

http://www.enfieldmotorcycles.com/forum/index.php?topic=384.msg18207#msg18207

I know know that most of this will have to be done on secondary roads at no more than 60mph.  Kit will bee kept at a min as will be staying in hotels and with friends and if needed can change the oil on the way down as in a couple of stops I will be for 2 nights.

Problem is in order to get permission to buy the Electra I had to make some concessions and it looks as if the wife will be coming with me so will really have to skimp on most luggage.  I explained this to the dealer who stated that "the Enfield could take you round the world if taken care off). 

Has anyone else done a long trip in a bullet and would like to share some advise?

Thanks!

Leonard

• Grand Gearhead
  • I loved this bike!!
Reply #1 on: July 06, 2008, 01:01:41 pm
Make frequent stops, take lots of pictures, carry a credit card and a cell phone.  Have fun.
2009 Triumph Bonneville T100
2004 Royal Enfield Sixty-5 (RIP)
2001 Kawasaki W650 (going, going...gone)
http://www.romeoriders.com

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
  • Royal Enfield , Let the good times roll.
Reply #2 on: July 06, 2008, 10:14:20 pm
Welcome 23 hp, sounds like a great trip. All mine have been short trips. Following  the run-in  best you can and look for loose hardware are 2 things I can think of.Remember once you get off the ferry start driving on the right side of the road. ;Let  us know how it goes and send some travel pictures, be safe.
2008 ( AVL) Classic Bullet in British Racing Green
REA member # 84  (inactive)

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #3 on: July 08, 2008, 11:31:42 am
Thanks guys

Will share the trip when I get back.  Just counting down the days (18 to go ;D).

Just looking over the landscape with google earth brings a grin to my face!

Jon

• Bulleteer
Reply #4 on: July 08, 2008, 08:15:03 pm
My former father in law did a similar trip two-up on an LE Velocette back in 19godknowswhen should be a piece of cake on the Bullet!

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #5 on: July 20, 2008, 09:05:59 am
Two amigoes and myself did a 4000m tour of France, Spain and a bit of Portugal in 2007.

Pictures and blog available at http://the-enfield-strikes-back.blogspot.com/

If you'r taking Senior management then I suggest that you don't camp but go for cheap lodge type accommodation. The "Formule 1" chain is clean but basic at 39 Euro per night. http://www.hotelformule1.com/formule1/gb/cartographie/france.shtml

Good luck and enjoy!

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

"Whilst it isn't possible to polish a turd, you can always roll it in glitter"

2005 Electra AVL

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #6 on: July 20, 2008, 01:17:21 pm
Excellent Read and looked like a great trip.  Mind you it does make me worry that my mechanical knowhow won´t allow me to diagnose problems as quickly as you guys did. 

I have about 5 Formule 1 motels booked as well as some other cheaper hotels that I managed to pick up through booking.com.  Will also be staying with friends on the way so will also get a chance to relax.  The wife and tents don't go together so that rules out the really cheap option.

Biggest problem has been insurance as I am now not a UK resident and have a Spanish EU License the UK insurers wouldn't touch me and Spanish law prohibits them insuring a vehicle that is registered in another country.  I did manage to get 3rd party liability insurance from a Dutch derivative of AXA (International Green Card) so that will at least keep me legal.  Just now hunting for breakdown cover and good insurance.  Insurance is easy but the breakdown cover is again a problem due to the registration etc...

Thanks for sharing your trip, was reading with a big grin on my face...

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 05:43:08 am
If your dealer has been doing some of the run-in ,I think your MC should be up to the trip.

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #8 on: August 01, 2008, 03:44:11 pm
Two amigoes and myself did a 4000m tour of France, Spain and a bit of Portugal in 2007.

Nice trip and I'm sure you had a great time.
I enjoyed the pictures and the writeup!
What did you plan for this year? 

« Last Edit: August 01, 2008, 03:51:33 pm by icarus »
1947 FN M13
1997 Honda Africa Twin XRV750
2007 Indian Bullet Electra 5S  which I travelled with in Nepal and India.
2008 Honda Transalp XL700V

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #9 on: August 02, 2008, 10:51:13 am

Nice trip and I'm sure you had a great time.
I enjoyed the pictures and the writeup!
What did you plan for this year? 

Icarus,

This year we went to St. Juliene Molin Mollette to attend the French Enfield Rally. It was good fun but did not spark the imagination as much as the previous trip. Next May, a dozen or so of us are riding from the UK to Bertrix in Belgium for the 2009 Rally.

That is, if I get my Big End failure put right in time!

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

2005 Electra AVL

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #10 on: September 03, 2008, 01:21:04 pm
[Icarus,

This year we went to St. Juliene Molin Mollette to attend the French Enfield Rally. It was good fun but did not spark the imagination as much as the previous trip. Next May, a dozen or so of us are riding from the UK to Bertrix in Belgium for the 2009 Rally.

Tim,

Could you tell me more about that "2009 Rally" please.
Maybe we can meet in Bertrix then next year.

Regards,
Freddy

1947 FN M13

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #11 on: September 03, 2008, 04:53:53 pm
Freddy,

By all means.

Please drop me an email to timroseATcnnxDOTcoDOTuk

REgards

REgards

Tiny Tim

2005 Electra AVL

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #12 on: September 04, 2008, 06:16:41 am
Freddy,

By all means.

Please drop me an email to timroseATcnnxDOTcoDOTuk

REgards

Done!  :)
1947 FN M13

LJRead

Reply #13 on: September 05, 2008, 06:10:03 am
I set off on a long trip once, it was a sea voyage on my small boat.  Before setting off I met a wonderful couple who wanted to buy my house.  Well the house had already been sold, but the guy said something that caught my attention.  He said "you'll be miserable at times, but it will be a great adventure."  Yes, it was miserable at times, but when it would get depressingly so I'd think about the adventure part and say to myself "ah yes, but this is an adventure." and it pulled me through just fine. 

Thing is, adventures can be miserable, but the excitement, the unknown, the thrill of it all will pull us through just fine.

Good luck on your trip and remember to enjoy the adventure of it!

LJ

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #14 on: September 05, 2008, 01:02:02 pm
Thanks for all your comments.  Well the trip was a blast.  2100 miles of coastal bliss with an extremely overladen electra.  We got soaked, baked and nearly blown away  at times so I understand about the Miserable point but as you said - it was great!  An adventure that I will definitely do again (not sure about the wife though...) 

The bike was wonderfull, especially as I had my 90kg, my  wife's 55 and about 15 of luggage.  She ran in during the trip and gradually got better and quicker.  Problems, not one leak, oil seapage or loose bolt.  The only problem we had was with the chain when we got to Spain but I'll leave  that until I do a full write up of the trip (as soon as I get the chance). 

Right now I've been following this amazing trip which is really giving me the urge to set off again:

overlandtoindia dot co dot uk

Here's to big trips! ;D

Tiny Tim

• Bulleteer
Reply #15 on: September 06, 2008, 05:31:26 pm
Glad to hear you survived and indeed enjoyed the experience.

Make sure you don't forget to write it up. I look forward to reading it.

REgards

TT
REgards

Tiny Tim

2005 Electra AVL

icarus

• Bulleteer
Reply #16 on: September 07, 2008, 03:23:32 am
Yes please, share your experiences. I'm sure it must have been an exciting experience and a great journey.
1947 FN M13

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #17 on: September 08, 2008, 11:33:35 am
Will definitely share the trip as soon as my job gives me a chance to write it up!

Got a wee question... Got a garage here to remove the rack I had placed on the back for my trip down but now find that the right shock is not sitting correctly at the top and pushed against the left bar http://niederle.googlepages.com/base  I at first thought that I was missing a washer or something as the other shock sits perfectly but can't see anything.  Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

PhilJ

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #18 on: September 08, 2008, 01:12:14 pm
..... first thought that I was missing a washer or something as the other shock sits perfectly but can't see anything.  Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Looks just like mine. Sometimes we notice things later that we have preconceived mental pictures of.

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #19 on: September 08, 2008, 01:31:17 pm
..... first thought that I was missing a washer or something as the other shock sits perfectly but can't see anything.  Anyone like to comment?

Thanks

Looks just like mine. Sometimes we notice things later that we have preconceived mental pictures of.

I know what you mean but still think that I am missing something as you can see in the updated photo: http://niederle.googlepages.com/base the LH shock sits nicely in the center and you can see the shiny metal at the bottom of both sides whereas the RH shock is crammed up to the frame at the left exposing much more metal at the right.

As I'm not too mechanically minded it could be that its designed this way?

REpozer

• Grand Gearhead
Reply #20 on: September 08, 2008, 05:27:36 pm
Just looked at my RE, the shocks seem to be in the center of the bolt with metal (bolt)showing on both inboard and outboard.on each rear shock. Mind you I do have the classic frame.

Have you put a spanner on the bolt in question to see if it is loose?

23hp

• Bulleteer
Reply #21 on: September 10, 2008, 11:16:46 am
Just looked at my RE, the shocks seem to be in the center of the bolt with metal (bolt)showing on both inboard and outboard.on each rear shock. Mind you I do have the classic frame.

Have you put a spanner on the bolt in question to see if it is loose?

hmmmm, Bolt is tight..  Well if it doesn´t affect the handling i´ll just ignore it!